Home Forums General Discussion Surgery for contractures?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi all, 

My sclero is improving (please see my post in the Personal History and Progress Forum), but I've still got a long way to go.  Most notably, my right 5th digit is now bent at a 90 degree angle, while the rest of my fingers are stretching out nicely.  I'm considering surgery to straighten it out, but wanted to get feedback from the forum….Thanks in advance. annie

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Annie–

Can't give you any feedback on the surgery–just chiming in to let you know I read your post in the Personal History–very inspirational–where you were, where you went and now your comeback–an uplifting read.

Wishing you total recovery,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

awesomemb
    Participant

Ahh something I am familiar with. I had a severe right angle finger. It was actually past 90 degrees, bent into my hand. It had been that way for several years. SInce there was no movement, the bones became narrow and weak. And the skin was stretched so tight and paper thin. You need to go to a surgeon that understands Scleroderma and the potential complications. I found one in NY. He also replaced all my knuckles. I have had Scleroderma a long time, and I had joint damage. I don't mind sharing my hand surgery blog with you but some pictures may be gross. I had ring finger and thumb fused, which is what you may need on finger. Putting a new joint there won't be stable. By fusing the bones together, you will just have a permanent straighter finger. You will need to scroll to my older posts to see the start of my surgeries. Keep in mind, the Dr. said had I done the finger sooner, it would have been easier. My blog is http://www.awesomehands.blogspot.com Best regards, MB:blush:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Surgery for contractures?’ is closed to new replies.