Home Forums General Discussion Supplements a good idea?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Fkendall
    Participant

I have noticed many members are using multiple supplements in addition to the AP. My Dr J is of the view that supplements feed the organisms, she gives me Vit B but advised to drop all others which I've done. She also says giving up sugar is essential.

I eat walnuts to get omega 3, and otherwise healthy diet no sugar.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Frances – I noticed that from looking through your doc's website. Of particular interest to me was the 'no magnesium' directive. I know in the U.S. severe magnesium deficiency is said to be rife amongst Lyme patients. If you read the Burrascano 2008 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines on the ILADS site, there is alot of info on this and other supplements that are – generally – thought to be beneficial for Lyme patients and those with co-infections.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf 

I think it may differ depending on which pathogens people are infected with – and on which continent. I do know for instance (from my doc) that the Rickettsia in Australia is far less virulent than the type found in Africa. I also think different docs have different approaches. My own AP doc and Naturopath say that supplements must be chosen with care and tested – because some can do more harm than good – it is quite individualised. They also combine a dietary approach to abx treatment. Again it's individualised and tested – but often results in no grain, sugar or dairy, low salicylates and no sulphites. 

There's no end to the ongoing puzzle, is there? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

A supplement I don't hear people mention very often on here is vitamin C. Although it is difficult to rate any one vitamin or mineral as being the most important, I think vitamin C is definitely near the top of the list.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Fkendall
    Participant

I expect you are right Lynne, not only is every individual different in their needs and responses, but so are the strains of diseases in different countries. Those of us who have doctors experienced in AP are fortunate as they must see patterns of pathogens and symptoms which guide them in treatment. I used to take heaps of supplements, although there always seems to be much disagreement as to which are most important and which work — I now take almost none. But once I am in remission (positive thinking:)I will probably sneak some back in.

Re vitamin C I try to get from fruit, with that restricted to 2 a day luckily guavas are presently in season in SA.

Cheers

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Frances wrote: 

I have noticed many members are using multiple supplements in addition to the AP. My Dr J is of the view that supplements feed the organisms

Frances – I just read this little “byte” from the recent ILADS conference on a Lyme blog site. This seems to make sense of why your doctor has you on no supplementation. Lynnie 

*Calcium and magnesium can aid in the formation of biofilm. These minerals should only be taken after antibiotic therapy has been initiated. Oral magnesium may feed bugs, so transdermal magnesium may be a better option.

http://lymebytes.blogspot.com/2009/11/more-treatment-blurbs-from-ilads.html

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Fkendall
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie — interesting!

Fkendall
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, on the subject of magnesium thought you might be interested, Dr J says when, as a child, she was helping her father with his rickettsia studies, if she gave the guinea pigs either magnesium or sugar under his instructions the next day they would be much more sick.

Fkendall
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, on the subject of magnesium thought you might be interested, Dr J says when, as a child, she was helping her father with his rickettsia studies, if she gave the guinea pigs either magnesium or sugar under his instructions the next day they would be much more sick.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

how very interesting! I did note in the Burrascano Guidelines that Lyme patients are noted for severe magnesium deficiency. Guess the starting supplementation after abx makes sense though, given the bio-film info. I do know alot of people who post here have had severe muscle aches which have been relieved by both oral and topical magnesium. Also some who are on mag. for sleep issues – however, I think (pretty well) all are on abx. Lynnie 

P.S. Guess the guinea pigs wouldnt have been on abx????

Be well! Lynnie

Fkendall
    Participant

No I don't suppose so! We don't seem to have the same problem with magnesium& Vit D deficiency in SA as in the USA — nor you in Aus either I would think — so much sun all year, so 10 minutes most days pretty inescapable.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Well actually the Vit D issue IS here – and Australia has the most intense sun in the world! My naturopath has said we need 15 mins exposure daily and it needs to reach 50% of the body. There is alot of talk that today's high factor sunscreens are preventing this from happening.

Actually, I do get a fair amount of sun. Yet, interestingly, my 25-OH Vit D levels last July were on the low side, just in normal range at 54 (normal measured at 51-140). They have now risen to 79. For 12 months, I have been taking a calcium with boron supplement prescribed by my naturopath that contains a small amount of Vit D3,  zinc, copper and manganese in it. I take just 1/4 of a tablet daily (and in the ratio of 1: 2 organic magnesium complex) and it has had a major effect on by D levels in just 9 months. She says most suplements are way over the top with their content and are counterproductive. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Fkendall
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, useful info.

In SA I think whites tend to use sun screen for long days on the beach or hiking, but otherwise not much — or only on the face. The darker races don't need it of course.

However the light skinned amongst us do pay for our Vit D with wrinkly skins!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ Supplements a good idea?’ is closed to new replies.