Home Forums General Discussion Sunburn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Donna RA
    Participant

Since switching my ABX to a Lyme protocol, I am much more sensitive to the sun.  I am fair, and have been using an SPF 50, and avoid sun bahting, but it's not always easy to avoid the sun, especially since I'm feeling up to swimming and kyakying a little.  Anyone know of supplements or meds to replace whatever the antibiotics are taking from the skin??  

Donna RA and Lyme

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=41]Donna RA[/user] wrote:

Since switching my ABX to a Lyme protocol, I am much more sensitive to the sun.  I am fair, and have been using an SPF 50, and avoid sun bahting, but it's not always easy to avoid the sun, especially since I'm feeling up to swimming and kyakying a little.  Anyone know of supplements or meds to replace whatever the antibiotics are taking from the skin??  

Donna, boy do I know how you feel! Frustrating, eh? I'm a sun-lover and should have been born in equitorial or tropical climes. I'm afraid I'm no help here. I haven't found anything to help with sun-sensitivity, except what you are already doing….covering up and using a high SPF sun block. It doesn't stop me going out in the sun (I'm an Aries, what can I say?), but when my skin starts to sting, I know it's time to cover those bits up. There are stronger SPFs you can buy, I believe, if that helps, but they tend to be a bit thick, gloppy and white-looking in lotion form.

I was only thinking the other day, I wish they'd bring those roaring 20s full-body bathing suits back in fashion that went down past knees, to cover my knobbly knees and mid-life belly!!! They'd sure have the added benefit of more skin coverage! :roll-laugh:

If you find a solution, please do share it with us. In the meantime, enjoy your swimming and kayaking!!!

Peace, Maz

Roz
    Participant

Hi,

Try aloe vera gell.;)

Roz
    Participant

After your done with the sun mates.

x roz

maz.aust
    Participant

Not to forget that all of us need sunshine anyway, (that doesn't mean burn though).  Just posting this to explain the differences in sunscreens & maybe to check if you are using the right one. 

Sunscreens work in two main ways:

** Sunscreens with Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide work largely by reflecting ultraviolet light, effectively 'blocking out' sunlight. These are also described as 'non-chemical' sunscreens, and are less likely to cause problems in people with sensitive skin. Microfine titanium dioxide is cosmetically more acceptable than older preparations, though in high concentrations it can still give the skin a milky quality.

** Other sunscreens act as a chemical barrier. They absorb ultraviolet light (e.g. ultraviolet B and/or ultraviolet A). They contain chemicals such as cinnamates, benzophenones and dibenzoylmethanes (salicylates). Chemical sunscreens are not able to be seen once they have been applied to the skin and do not give a milky appearance.

Many sunscreen products combine a mixture of ingredients to provide a high degree of ultraviolet protection and block or absorb a broad-spectrum of damaging (ultraviolet) light.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Michele
    Participant

Hi Donna,

Another option could be some light weight sun protective clothing or swimwear instead of a supplement or sun screen.

Check out sites like sungrubbies.com and coolibar.com

Michele

Donna RA
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Maz you are a funny gal, like you I have that middle aged belly, so the long swim suit would be good for me too. 

I did check my sun screen, and it's the titanium dioxide, maybe I'd better get one a little stronger, the company now has a 75 SPF.  http://www.rmsunscreen.com.

Thanks Michelle for the idea of the clothing that blocks the sun, hadn't considered that before, since I love getting a tan, but I just might consider getting some of those shirts to avoid this sunburn, it's maddening itchy!!

maz.aust
    Participant

Over here Slip-Slop-Slap is the name of a health campaign here in Australia getting people to “slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, and slap on a hat” when they go out into the sun, in order to protect themselves against an increased risk of skin cancer.  It is probably Australia's most recognised health message.

Slip, slop, slap was & still is a great campaign.

The other thing is to remember to take the sunscreen with you & reapply it thoughout the day to keep that maximum effect going.

Good luck with it,
    Maz – Aust

Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

All off days Probiotics

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=492]maz.aust[/user] wrote:

Over here Slip-Slop-Slap is the name of a health campaign here in Australia getting people to “slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, and slap on a hat” when they go out into the sun, in order to protect themselves against an increased risk of skin cancer.

:roll-laugh: Only the Aussies would come up with a slogan like that. What a hoot! A bit of a tongue-twister, but easy to remember, though, eh?

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Okay now I am going to put snother perspective into the mix. You absolutely do NOT ever want to burn your skin – bad on so very many levels, including the risk of melanoma. However, there are some pretty widespread views now that sunscreen and SPF's in everything (moisturiser, make-up etc) are preventing us from getting an appropriate amount of sunshine which we need to obtain adequate amounts of Vit D. Seems crazy that Australians living in one of the most sun-filled places on earth are showing up deficient in Vit D. in droves. My naturopath said to get adequate D from the sun, we need at least 15 mins of sunshine a day without sunscreen and it must be over at least 30% of the body. Lynnie

http://www.femail.com.au/anthony-pearce-vitamin-d-deficiency.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

maz.aust
    Participant

Agreed Lynnie …  my son gets a rash during summer & his dermatologist told us 15 yrs ago that very fact & insisted that he agree to spend 1/2 hr in the sun everyday, when he did that the rash disappeared.

Sunshine is imperative to being healthy and can't be replaced by supplements.   People are so hell bent on staying totally out of the sun they are actually putting their medical wellbeing at risk.

All off days Probiotics

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

……we're on the same page, maz! :DLynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Donna RA
    Participant

Does anyone know how long it takes for Doxy to clear out of your body once you stop it?  I've been taking it for 1 yr now, and think I want to stop it due to this sunburn problem.  Driving in my car after work is becoming a problem if the sun is shining, I now have itchy rash on my arms from where the sun hits me.  Waiting to hear back from Doc, but he's not back in his office until next week. Been using hdrycortisone creams, but they are becoming less and less effective at stoping the itch.  Maybe something else is going on, not sure?

Donna RA and Lyme

Penn
    Participant

I've been on Minocin for years and have had three major burns on my chest. This from just driving in the car wearing scoop neck or v-neck t-shirts. It gets really red, raised and itchy. I've tried cortisone and clear calamine lotion. I think calamine works better to dry it out. I've also wondered if something else was going on but the burns have been few. Dr Mercola looked at the one I had a few years ago and said that when I go on vacation for a week, to stop taking the minocin. I am currently in Arizona and got it again on my chest. It's driving me nuts with the itching.  I might start wearing men's tshirts as they go up to the neck. Or when driving I might keep a towel or men's shirt in the car to cover up during high noon. Anyone else here get these?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ Sunburn’ is closed to new replies.