Home Forums General Discussion Stress

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl F
    Keymaster

I thought this article was interesting and wanted to share it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080827100816.htm

Michele
    Participant

Cheryl,

Thanks for posting this! I know my illness is multi-layered, but it always ticked me off when relatives would tell me to try to avoid stress. But I guess they are right! It does affect the immune system. I'm thick headed sometimes.

Michele

Patti D
    Participant

Ok Cheryl,

I knew that stress had a role in the take off of this disease. Now I just have to find a viable option for the release or blocking of such stress. I do a lot of the usual, prayer, diversion, exercise, garden, and sometimes drink wine:D

Thanks for the article. Really good!

Happy days!

Patti

Michele
    Participant

:roll-laugh: Patti, When you find a de-stressor that works, please share with me!! Your list of usual de-stressors is good. Though, I always thought that if you didn't get some stress you were probably not alive. But, seriously, I do need to get a consistent release. Hey! Typing to my RBF friends helps! 🙂

Michele

Patti D
    Participant

Hey Michele,

I couldn't agree with you more.:blush:This is the place to let it go!! Isn't that wonderful:D

Happy days!

Patti

JBJBJB
    Participant

Cheryl,

I am reading up some thyroid information, it indicates that stress could cause thyroid hormone disorder. When this happens, muscle and joint pain, swelling also could occur. Interesting thing is some people's thyroid test still can show “normal” while these happen.

This makes me wonder about if our pain is caused by Herxing or stressed induced malfunction of thyroid.  

JB

Jennhere
    Participant

This is a great website.  I read that article there yesterday.  Once I began feeling better on A.P., I was able to start doing gentle stretches.  I think stretching and pulling and working your muscles in that way (not talking about heavy weightlifting) helps reduce stress. 

If you can't let go of the daily stress through sheer determination and will, try gentle stretching to get you started.  Just lay on the floor and and twist your hips one way and your torso the other.  It will help drag your stubborn mind to a more peaceful place!!:D 

Jenn

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

I think I would look into the more active ways to create the bio-chemical reactions that increase immunity, like laughter.  I attended a seminar last winter where the concept of laughter was reveiwed.  The leader told a story of how some big companys in India gather their workers to laugh before the work day begins.  They just laugh, they stand together and laugh for 5 – 10 minutes.  Supposedly, laughter generates chemicals in the body that enhance immunity.  There is a book that he talked about called something like, Laughter is the best Medicine about a man who faught his cancer diagnosis with laughter. 

We did an exercise where we had to stand in a circle and just start laughing, it was difficult at first, but then it became truly hilarious, I am laughing now just thinking about it.

For me, the meditation and prayer don't seem to be good options for me, it is just more quiet time for my mind to race about all the things I have to do.  I have tried, but I can not sit quietly for more than 30 seconds without my mind filling and becoming distracted.  It is just not in my personality and I don't want to have to stress out to try to meditate.  I would rather just laugh.

Take a look at this article, scroll down to the heading “Laughter's effects on the body” the second bullet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/07/health/webmd/main1481492.shtml

Cheryl

Todd WI
    Participant

Laugh therapy is a great suggestion.  So is stretching, a little yoga goes a long way. Any exercising is good for stress relief, including heavy lifting (when my body allows it).

I find music often helps, but it has to be the right music. Something like Vivaldi “Four seasons” tends to make me postal when I'm stressed.  For me it needs to be something harder/faster, something like Satriani's “Surfiing with the Alien”.

Bang Your Head!
    Todd

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Laugh therapy is good. I have a best friend who laughs constantly – and it lifts my spirits just to be in the same room as her. The best thing I've discovered for stress, I have to say, is meditation. I started it acting as support person to a friend with cancer back in 2000 and then found, after 6 months, a massive difference in me! It kinda just creeps up on you (a bit like the benefits of AP!!). However, for those who don't lean towards meditation, I would highly recommend the books of Jon Kabat-Zinn – who set up the internationally famous pain clinic in Massachusetts. He is renowned for bringing the various benefits of meditation (esp mindfulness) into mainstream medicine, with great results. Two books of his that I'd recommend are: and 2. Wherever You Go, There You Are. [/color]Really great and very approachable reads. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Jennhere
    Participant

I get my daily laugh from the Colbert Report.:D 

Jenn

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Stress’ is closed to new replies.