Home Forums General Discussion Strange herx??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I have had very little in the way of noticeable herxing on my new abx regime which I started 2 months ago. Nothing like the classic 6 week herx when I started mino 5 years ago. Slight elevation in RF my AP doc says is probably herx and I have had very minor niggling pains in wrists, thumb and shoulders (places which havent bothered me for a few years). All fine. However, yesterday morning when I showered I noticed both armpits were tender and when I looked, both had small bright red patches. Then I saw a very large lump on the underside of my right arm sort of between shoulder and arm pit (not in lymph area) – I'm talking goose egg size!!!! I also remembered waking up Sunday morning with lower part of one finger same bright red as my underarms. Redness in both areas went pretty quickly. However, I also felt very strange all morning….kind of spaced out as if on a benzo type drug. Went to see my PCP today – lump still there, though feeling back to myself. He doesnt think an immediate worry – but puzzling because it's slightly tender and seems to have come up awfully fast. Suggested I also call Dr D re herx question, which I did. She said it is possibly herx related, my body is in fight and de-tox mode – though we need to keep tabs on the lump as a separate thing and agrees with PCP re ultrasound in a couple of weeks if still there. Anyone else experienced a lump of this kind? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

casey
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

Funny you mention this as i have had something a little similiar happen. I have MCTD that started with rashes and hives symptoms last Feb. Also, some urinalysis issues.I started low dose doxy as i am /was sensitive to some abx. The rashes and hives stayed but the urinalysis got worse and then kidney infections started. I called those herxs. Anyway, i went on levaquin for that for a month in Jan , no lumps. In April, this yr, i started on oral clindy and doxy. Every few weeks i get a lump that forms on my wrist. It is painful and hard. Its been coming and then going away completely for 3 months.It  goes away after a few days and i dont know whether i am  herxing, if it is a herx or just the disease process and AP isnt working for me. I never had it before on just doxy or levaquin. I dont even know if it is a RA nodule but assume it is. The rashes and hives are less than last yr but still. One thing seems to get better and something new happens.

Cant figure it out but hope you do.

Casey

Michele
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

I have experienced some new “lumps” too, since starting antibiotics. In my left arm upper bicep there are a couple and in my forearm. My chiro found them. I've shown them to my PCP who said to just monitor them. Sometimes I monitor them too much and they get sore. One is the size of a oval shaped dollar coin. The other is a pea size. I've heard of people talk of calcification and wondered if that was part of it?

Glad you feel better. No bonzos allowed. If you find out more, please post because this has been a concern for me for a while.

Michele

linda
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

I had a similar experience about 5 yrs ago when I was taking a two week dose pack of zithromax for H. pylori. At the time my PsA was very bad as well, but I had not heard of AP.  About a week after starting the zith I got a lump about the size of a small egg just below my right elbow, I had never had anything like it before, but it was close enough to the joint that I knew it had to be the PsA, esp since the tendons, muscles and bones can become inflamed with this form of arthritis. It was tender and red also. It went away about a month after I stopped the zith. I think I was experiencing a herx but didn't know anything about AP at the time so it remained a mystery until I heard about AP. I couldn't say if you're experiencing the same thing, but it sounds very similar. Hope it goes away soon, it's in a bad spot since every movement of your arm will affect it. The weird places these microbes find to hide out always amazes me! Maybe you ran them out of a nearby joint and they were looking for a friendlier spot!;)

linda

P.S. I used a heating pad and it helped some with the pain, but remember that if you use heat for longer than 20 min it can make the inflammation worse due to increased blood flow to the area.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Lynne,

My husband had a similar thing for years on his back.  He refused to do anything about it though it worried me to pieces.  It got really painful and we went to local dermatologist that excised it on the spot…it was a boil (ie big pimple that doesn't go away…google it).  It was really gross…but after that appt it was all over with and it  has never come back.  His family is prone to such things but it can happen to anyone.

I wonder if this issue with you could be as simple as that?

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Thanks for your contributions guys. Casey, this is not like a rheumatoid module – I had one of those on base of index finger for a while. WH – definitely not a boil either. It's very large and located deep in the tissue – feels like top of the triceps. Have had another bout of vertigo/spaced out type feelings today and kidney region and skin ache tomight. Just all very bizarre to me after 2 1/2 months………..and of course may not even be related! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

casey
    Participant

Hey Lynnie,

Isnt this guessing game just a great thing trying to figure out why these things happen? What they are, what they are related to? Drives me nuts. This nodule  on me started after 1 yr on doxy and within 3 months of oral clindy so i am with you in this game.

Take care,

Casey

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Strange herx??’ is closed to new replies.