Home Forums General Discussion Stomach pain & burning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nan – RA
    Participant

I have experienced pain right above my navel (like a fist) with burning accompanying it.  I'm thinking it could be an ulcer.  It lasts for hours someimes.  I take Tums but they don't seem to help. 

I take Ibuprofen for my RA pain and sometimes I take Extra Strength Tylenol.  The Tylenol doesn't seem to help as much as the Ibuprofen.  I'm sure that it isn't helping the ulcer…. rather it may have caused it. 

Right now I am on Minocycline, 100 mg. MWF.  I was on 1 every day…. and was experiencing a lot of pain.  When I cut back to 3 a week, the pain lessened.  I was wondering if I took 50 mg. MWF instead, if that would be better for me???  I have pain every day… in my ankles, wrists, neck, shoulders, arms, feet…. you name it I've got it..  I've been doing Mino for almost 2 years.  Shouldn't it be better by now??:crying:

Any help/ideas would be so much appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

Nan

Maz
    Keymaster

Nan, so sorry to hear you're still struggling. By the two year mark, you should be seeing some windows of light and improvements, though very severe and longstanding cases may take between 3 and 5 years to respond (see link below).

There is a list of things to check if you're not seeing improvement here:

http://roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/89.html

I think the most important things I'd check for at this stage if I wasn't seeing some improvement would be candida, which can mimic RA pain, leaky gut and food sensitivities (caused amongst other things by candida and chronic NSAID use), secondary organisms that may need a different antibiotic, including possible Lyme disease with coinfections, and checking with doc for minocycline-induced lupus. Hypersensitivity is another possible cause that can build with time and is due to a building inability of the body to adequately detox.

Nan, hope you find your answers soon. Are you working with an experienced AP doc?

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Nan,

Sorry you're having stomach problems.  If you do have an ulcer the ibuprofen is the worst thing for it; in fact, all the meds are, but I'm sure you know that.  Have you considered switching to IVs until your gut heals?

You mentioned pain around the navel and that can be a symptom of parasites.

Hope you can figure this out and get some relief soon.

kim

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Nan – have you considered some pain relief via skin patches that will by-pass the gut and the liver? It may be worth discussing with your physician. Echoing Maz, are you working with an experienced AP Doc? Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

superperroRA
    Participant

Many people take prilosec (or some other proton pump inhibitor)
    to protect the stomach lining from the nsaids. The nsaids tell
    the stomach to produce less mucus, and the mucus is what protects
    the stomach lining from the gastric acid. The prilosec reduces the gastric
    acid.

I take my nsaid (voltaren) in suppository form
    which is less harsh on the stomach than the pill form

Voltaren suppositories are not available in the US, but
    can be purchased in Canada (for example, at buylowdrugs)

m.
    Participant

Hi Nan, do you think your MD would run some tests?

Check for occult blood, H. pylori infection, gut
    inflammation, fungus, bacteria balance, etc.

FWIW, I take my Doxy with a little food to avoid collateral
    damage. I did not want to go on Prilosec or the like.

Nan, is your MD monitoring your bloodwork, like CBC, etc.?
    How about your thyroid?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Stomach pain & burning’ is closed to new replies.