Home Forums General Discussion Stem Cell Treatment for RA

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Suzy
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

interesting Info below…..Just wanterd to share !

Stem Cell Research for RA and AI diseases: Anyone have any thoughts or hopes for this as a future treatment?  If the immune sys. resets and the infectious cause is not knocked down…..wouldn't there be a possible recurrence? Or would the immune sys now be able to handle the pathogen load?  Does this go against the infectious cause theory or would this somehow be used in conjunction for a super treatment?    Wow …it seems like there are a lot of possibilities in this!This info has me asking a lot of questions…….but I don't think research has the answers yet!  Until then…..AP AP AP

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192507.php

Also…..Anyone familiar with this procedure ( See Link below)  I have been waitig for a new technique to be perfected( really bad knee issues)….this might be what I have been waiting on!!

http://www.regenexx.com/

Seems to be used for OA currently. However…the Doc doing this was in an interview saying he feels this is the wave of the future for all replacements. Yes !!   I like this direction !

Just wanted to share and get others (more knowledgeable) opinions !!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

[user=1874]Suzy[/user] wrote:

If the immune sys. resets and the infectious cause is not knocked down…..wouldn't there be a possible recurrence? Or would the immune sys now be able to handle the pathogen load?  Does this go against the infectious cause theory or would this somehow be used in conjunction for a super treatment?   

Suzy, as far as I understand it, we all get (and carry around) a multitude of infections and this goes on all our lives….we are not even aware of them most of the time. It is when the immune system somehow and for some reason doesnt handle it that problems arise. Yes the idea is to help the immune system do its job by reducing pathogen load sufficiently so that it it can take over from there. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

If the immune sys. resets and the infectious cause is not knocked down…..wouldn't there be a possible recurrence? Or would the immune sys now be able to handle the pathogen load?  Does this go against the infectious cause theory or would this somehow be used in conjunction for a super treatment?   

Suzy, as far as I understand it, we all get (and carry around) a multitude of infections and this goes on all our lives….we are not even aware of them most of the time. It is when the immune system somehow and for some reason doesnt handle it that problems arise. Yes the idea is to help the immune system do its job by reducing pathogen load sufficiently so that it it can take over from there. Lynnie

Hi Suzy,

My thinking is aligned with Lynnie's.  Before all hell broke loose for me five years ago, I had a super-strong immune system.  Most of the time I wouldn't even catch “whatever was going around”, but if I did, mine lasted half the time, etc.  However, when I got sick I crossed over to the other side and when I caught “whatever was going around”, I got it worse than the others.  Now that I've aggressively gone after the various pathogens my immune system is definitely playing a role once again, something I'm very happy and relieved about. 🙂

I should add that I've fought from all angles, not just antibiotics………hormones, food sensitivities, thyroid imbalances, etc. etc. etc.  When you get this sick, let's face it, it's not going to be an easy fix. 😕

Take care…..kim

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Suzy,

I only took a brief look at the link so I'm sure I'm missing somethings.  Looks like they are using the patients own stem cells so there wouldn't be any rejection issues and no destruction of the immune system.  If the procedure works like they are saying and you are able to repair tissue that has already been damaged then that might be something to truly consider.  I'm sure therapies in the future will be able to repair things that are considered irreparable today.

As far as stem cell therapy to halt an autoimmune condition, I followed the blog of a young man, Randy Duprey, that was seriously ill with scleroderma.  His wife was waiting to get him accepted at Duke University for a stem cell transplant when she heard about the Roadback site. She had a hard time wrapping her brain around an antibiotic protocol despite the fact that prednisone and other toxic treatments had failed to halt her husband's progression.  A couple of weeks into her first inquiries here on Roadback, the stem cell therapy was approved and they never looked back here.  I'm very sorry to say that her husband died six months later.

APbeliever
    Participant

Parisa, what did her husband die of? Stem cell implants? That is quite interesting. There is another case of a RA suffering nun who got stem cell implants and she is completely cured. Google for the story.

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=13]Parisa[/user] wrote:

A couple of weeks into her first inquiries here on Roadback, the stem cell therapy was approved and they never looked back here.  I'm very sorry to say that her husband died six months later.

If I understand it correctly, most of the stem cell treatment methods are three steps. First is to “clean up” your own stem cells and second is the chemo therapy, and third step is to reintroduce your so called clean stem cell. Hopefully that stem cells will regenerate more healthy cells.

There are many risk. Infection is a huge problem. If you really want to know, check out the University of Northwestern in Chicago. Just google Stem cell transplant, U of Northwestern.  Dr. R B is the guy who has been trying stem cells on scleroderma, ra, diabetes, you name it. He has some success and some patients died. His long term remission is unknown.

JMO

APbeliever
    Participant

Please read this article on reversal of blindness thanks to stem cell.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100623/ap_on_he_me/us_med_stem_cells_blindness

Parisa
    Participant

APBeliever,

I believe he died of rampant scleroderma.  The stem cells didn't keep the disease from progressing.

Suzy
    Participant

Thanks for all of the replys. After looking back through past posts concerning this subject, I noticed  what appears to be a lot of advancement in this subject area, especially after reading  links to past vs current medical studies. I do believe they will perfect a technique for treating most diseases with stem cells at some point in time.  On that note, I still believe in the infectious cause theory for AI diseases and AP as treatment.  Isn't it an important step in AP therapy to maximize the immune sys with suppl's and other means?  Well why not use stem cells to do this with a supershot and compliment with AP,  provided they perfect the technique to the point of safe, accessible, affordable and etc…then I would like to go ahead and get my injection of new knees ! One for the left and two for the right (worst one needs two)  After that…just give me my dancing shoes and I'm good to go!!:roll-laugh: 

In the meantime, I do believe AP and LDN is helping me and that is great !!!

One last thought, I wonder if they would consider treating RA ers joints with this regenexx process. If a person never reaches remission wouldn't the disease keep destroying the regenerated cartilidge? Wonder what the average time would be before it would need replacement again? Guess that could depend on how much dancing you do…right? :roll-laugh:

Just thinking……………

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

It sounds like an interesting possibility for the future.  Since it is just 4 years old, not accepted for insurance and $8,000, not an option for most.

Maz
    Keymaster

One last thought, I wonder if they would consider treating RA ers joints with this regenexx process. If a person never reaches remission wouldn't the disease keep destroying the regenerated cartilidge?

Hi Suzy,

Sounds like a wonderful procedure and I had a good look at the site, questioning all the same things as you. I found this on the “About” page and candidacy for the procedure:

http://www.regenexx.com/about-regenexx/are-you-a-regenexx-candidate/

“5. Illness. Certain illnesses such as significant heart, lung, or auto immune diseases may have a negative impact on cell growth and outcome.”

So I guess they have a ways to go with it for RA patients. Would likely need to be in a remissive state in order for the procedure to be effective as newly grown tissue would just be subject to the same destruction by collagenase.

If you get a chance to call them for more info, would be interesting to hear their take on these questions.

Thanks for sharing, Suzy. The nice thing about this type of localised stem cell therapy is that the immune system does not need to be killed with chemotherapeutic agents prior to implantation. Wish this had been around for my old Dad years ago, with his osteroarthritic knees.

Peace, Maz

APbeliever
    Participant

My mom's knees(suffered from osteoarthritis) actually cost more than that amount. The surgical procedure she went through was not very safe also due to her age. However, she is doing quite well now and walking around everywhere. To think of it, we have seen her suffering for over 20 years or so and taking pain pills to walk. We had always asked her to get this surgery done asap but she was scared of it . She finally agreed when she fell one time and the doctor told her that she will not be able to walk anymore if she does not get the knee replacement. Her knees were completey destroyed and she could not get up anymore. I am all for stem cell research since I am hoping it will provide a cure for a lot of diseases.

redrock
    Participant

I know I read something on here about stem cells. Right now on 60 Minutes they are doing an expose on a certain stem cell “cure.” My pulmonary doctor told me that stem cell cures for autoimmune disease are a scam. I'd be very wary.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ Stem Cell Treatment for RA’ is closed to new replies.