Home Forums General Discussion Starting Doxy does it need to be pelleted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    carries
    Participant

Hi! I am starting Doxy and was wondering if it needs to be pellet too like minocin. I noticed the Doxy I got is powder in the capsule…will this still be effective?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

Pretty much all doxy is like that. Unless, of course, you get tablets instead of capsules. What drug company made them?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

carries
    Participant

Hi Phil! I think its vibra tab, vibramycin if I am looking at it correctly??

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

They’re capsules, right? What is written on them?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

carries
    Participant

Hi Phil…they are a light blue color….and it says D^N 5440 OR IT COULD BE… DAN 5440

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

Those doxy capsules you have were made by Watson Laboratories, Inc.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

carries
    Participant

Thanks Phil….do they not come in pelleted …mine are capsule with powder inside?

RickinCA
    Participant

The doxy that I’m taking is a generic 100mg (Doxycycline Hyclate), and is in tablet (pelleted) form. The color is a pale orange. One side has “DAN” etched in and the other, “5552”. Purchased at Walgreen’s Pharmacy.

The best part is, since I began taking it, two weeks into the regimen, I herxed right on schedule for a few days and no flares since then (around two months). Fingers crossed to hopefully continue on this path.

BTW, my symptoms included random swelling in soles and tops of feet, hands puffing up, fingers and toes, swollen lips/tongue/oral cavity. This was recurring with consistency every week. As mentioned above, none in two months.

Hope it works for you too.

r

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

No, there are no doxycyline capsules with pellets in them (that I know of). However, as Rick has mentioned, there are doxycycline tablets available. You might want to give them a try when your current prescription runs out. Just ask the pharmacy to fill the prescription with Watson tablets instead of capsules. I’ve found that it is best to request the specific generic you want, otherwise they will fill it with whatever they have. And since doxycyline capsules are cheaper than the tablets, most of the time those are what you’ll get.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

RickinCA
    Participant

Phil, guess I’ve heard differing meanings of the term “pelleted”. I have a doctor in the UK I see if I have the need, and he uses the term pellet to refer to what I call tablet.

By the way, would the pelleted version as you describe it be a time released version? If so isn’t Doryx a time release form of Doxy dosage? That’s the original Rx given to me by my AP doc. When I asked why, his comment was that it is “stronger”. Pricey though… 300usd for a month’s supply.

My 2

PhilC
    Participant

@RickinCA wrote:

By the way, would the pelleted version as you describe it be a time released version? If so isn’t Doryx a time release form of Doxy dosage? That’s the original Rx given to me by my AP doc. When I asked why, his comment was that it is “stronger”. Pricey though… 300usd for a month’s supply.

Hi Rick,

Not timed release, but delayed release. You are right about Doryx; it is a pelletised form of doxycycline. I remember reading the company’s promotional web page for their Doryx tablets, but I never looked into it further until today. Is Doryx stronger or more effective? Not likely. Pellets are not used to make Doryx more effective, they are used to reduce the incidence of certain side effects.

“Doryx

- Albert Einstein

carries
    Participant

Hi Rick and Phil! Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it…I guess my question is….which should I take…which is the better of the two that you have heard of…..is it Watson tablets or Watson capsules?? or should I be taking the brand name which is ._____________???

RickinCA
    Participant

Carrie, I can only tell you what has been effective for me and what has been the only medicine that has made a vast change in my condition thus far, and that is the generic doxycycline hyclate tablets. They are a pale orange (or peach) color with DAN on one side and 5552 on the other. I’m now taking 100mg a day, which seems to work for me. I’m not big on taking a ton of meds, however I am taking a pro-biotic to replenish the natural flora in my gut and stave off yeast infections. Also, fish oil and coq10, and three antihistimines at bedtime, zyrtec, benedryl, and cimetidene.

Hope this helps.

RinCA

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

I don’t think it matters. Personally, though, I prefer the tablets. I don’t think they are any stronger than the capsules, but they are easier to swallow. As for the different “brands” of doxy, I would avoid Ranbaxy. Their doxycycline may be perfectly fine, but since there are more reputable “brands” available I would not accept Ranbaxy doxycycline unless I couldn’t get any other kind (not likely).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/115159.php
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1646355820080916
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/managing-your-healthcare/policy/articles/2009/02/25/fda-halts-new-applications-from-indian-drug.html

Phil

- Albert Einstein

carries
    Participant

Ok good! I am taking Watson Brand which I believe is good right??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.