Home Forums General Discussion Spinal Stenosis/Salmon Calcitonin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jaminhealth
    Participant

Hi all, 19 months post op with right hip replacment (anterior approach) and it’s been HAIL…..

Spinal Stenosis has come on with a vengence….things started to go downhill 5 months post op.

Guess every NEW was shifting and settling and it’s been HORRIBLE.

I don’t want back surgery…..any thoughts for me on Spinal Stenosis….

And Yes, I deal with spondylothesis….thanks anyone. jam

cavalier
    Participant

Jammin- I was up late one nite recently reading – i came across one blurb in a long article – I was falling asleep & shut down the PC without book marking the spot but what i read was that stenosis can be caused by a infectious bacteria. If this is the case then there is one more disease or symptom to put under the work of AP.

Another is BPH not prostate cancer but prosititis is caused by 2 bacterias – I cant remember the 2nd one but one is this below which also causes papaloma virus or cervix cancer they know now that ALL Cervical cancer in women is caused by this virus is what Doc Radio Siruis NYU Doc’s their Gnye team just said on the radio – they said many people have this & dont realize it both men & woman. I wonder if long term the bacterias with the inflammation if we will just find out that prostrate cancer is just a long term acute case of the havoc of the bacterias like it is for women with cervical cancer.
    I know Dr. S. was checking for Chlamydia along with mycoplasmas & pneumonie for a total of 6 bacterias unless there are different types of the chlamydia virus this.

One of them is the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis.
    I think eventually as more work is done only proves how much these bacterias & viruses are behind various diseases.
    Jill SD Systemic

jaminhealth
    Participant

Thanks Jill, Spinal Stenois is the narrowing of the spinal canal. It’s a physical thing happening….the more I sit the worse it is….laying down is no pain, walking a tad better, but sitting is the worst……jam

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hello, jam:

I have AS that often results in this stenosis and some time ago had an osteotomy. Perhaps I was very lucky and found a great neurosurgeon, but I would not discount surgical intervention.

There are some things that can be done before such a measure, I believe. Vertebroplasty, perhaps to stop further degeneration, as the narrowing is caused by compression fractures and usually the result of osteoporosis. Loss of height might accompany this vertebral degeneration. I have a less severe (albeit still very bad) kyphosis an one vertebra was removed entirely.

I hope You will be able to find relief through less dramatic means,
    HEALTH,
    John

jaminhealth
    Participant

John, I too was given the AS dx back when I was in m 30’s and now soon 74…

Spinal stenosis came on after hip replacement 20 months ago, I don’t know where I’ll go if anywhere with this.

I do lots of exercises and don’t sit for hours on end…..thanks for your story……

I’m not seeing any ortho MD’s. now, I work thru this day by day….jam

jaminhealth
    Participant

Get a load of this one:

There is a Chiro in my town who I did see about 10 yrs ago and then he was having back surgery so we more or less lost
    contact….now I find he’s changed his practice to Spinal Stenosis and Disc Clinic….

So I went in to see him last Friday for a 15 min consult….and took my MRI also….he put all my info in the computer and we talked and he said his protocol is a 3-5 month program and costs between $6-$7K……..I said WHAT…..that’s not in my budget….

Then he said we might be able to work with some people financially…..I was to see him again next monday and got to thinking, no way…..his protocol is a decompression table….

A chiro I’ve seen off and on over the years has a decompression table and said the table would NOT be good for my issues becaue of Spondylothesis, could make things WORSE.

Any thoughts on the decompression table? jam

jaminhealth
    Participant

Believe it or not, I’m getting positive results with electro stim acupuncture and the Spinal Stenos agony. Having my 7th tomorrow and I can actually SIT a lot longer and there is definitely less pain. Still do stretching, exercises, ice/heat and all my supps and Advil, taking somewhat less…..but Improvement is happening….

I’m far from out of the woods totally, I may never be until not breathing, but improved…

My rheumy gives me this electro stim acupuncture and I’ll stick with it…..jam

richie
    Participant

Hi–I think that chiro with the decompression table just wants to decompress your wallet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

jaminhealth
    Participant

Had my 9th electro stim on spinal stenosis issue and still getting relief…

Rheumy also does needles in ear which relate to Thalamus which helps in pain reduction….

John: just re-reading this thread, I don’t deal with AS, my stuff is spondylothesis and spinal stenosis….only!!!! And DDD,

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, jam:

Glad the electrostim has helped with the pain from stenosis.

The reason for osteoporosis in the first place could be AS which accelerates bone loss and halts proper resorption of key minerals.

Best of Luck,
    John

jaminhealth
    Participant

John, I just read some of your stories and especially re: starches….I rarely eat any starchy foods, but was rasied on starches being 1/2 italian…..my lower back issues from me came on at 18, I’m 74….

I’m now working on juicing greens and make a nice green juice with my blender, don’t have a juicer…this is a lot of preping and work but worth it when the drink is done.

Do you still take abx or are your totally off them? Thanks fellow So. Cal. person. jam

A Friend
    Participant

@jaminhealth wrote:

Hi all, 19 months post op with right hip replacment (anterior approach) and it’s been HAIL…..
    Spinal Stenosis has come on with a vengence….things started to go downhill 5 months post op.
    Guess every NEW was shifting and settling and it’s been HORRIBLE. I don’t want back surgery…..any thoughts for me on Spinal Stenosis…. And Yes, I deal with spondylothesis….thanks anyone. jam

Hi Jam, All…

After reading your subject post above again tonight, I did a search using specific words about your condition + Vitamin C, and the first item that appeared was a post on the ProHealth Message Board. I did not have ProHealth in my search words, but many of you know how much I respect ImmunoPro and use its product — and now find this awesome Vitamin C testimonial there that you may find helpful –especially note the information in the post about Dr. Cathcart, an orthopedic surgeon who became a Vitamin C researcher and has even written a book. The link to the post:
    http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1238376

I’m sure you’ve probably read some of my posts about the sudden, surprising revelation over the past year about having had bone density in the high range of normal… and then discovering last year that I had a funny-looking-hip protruding a bit. Turned out to be from deterioration of cartilage, etc. supporting bones and capability to replace it. After doing really well on AP for about 7 years and feeling like a well person, things gradually began deteriorating, i.e. I began having what sounded like sciatica, and this progressed into lots of fascia pain, and eventually included bone pain. I learned about measuring my pH, and found acidosis was the root of this and the pain. My then AP physician didn’t have a clue as to what was going on when I’d report my worsening pain problems. When he retired, my new AP physician immediately found an unaddressed problem on a past lab report, and took care of turning that around rather quickly.

I feel very sure that the inflammation going on during those several years, when the pain got progressively worse, caused me to need the lab addressed, and needed therapeutic doses of Vitamin C for raw material to rebuild the cartilage, etc. I know I posted over the past year about seeing an ACAM physician (with three medical degrees) in January of this year who helped me with my supplement list, and he included high dose vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate powder) with meals three times a day. It was after this office visit with him that I found one of my grown children’s books (by Linus Pauling, “How to Live Longer and Feel Better”) which is a virtual anthology educating on the need and use of Vitamin C in the human body… eons ago mankind went through a genetic change and became unable to synthesize Vitamin C. So, this must be taken orally (or by IVs) to get the amounts needed for many problems. Since being on the Vitamin C and learning and doing other things as well, there are many postive changes happening.

AF

jaminhealth
    Participant

AF: I’ve been a member of ProHealth for many years…and I know about the Mega C dosing but don’t follow thru with it….I need to re-visit that again….Here is a comment from a member and her husband’s spinal stenosis issues;

((Due to his other problems, such as atypical Bell’s palsy and RSD/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, he has been taking high dosages of many vitamins, including C.

The 3rd & last MRI he had done (about 5 years ago) showed that the cervical spinal cord canal had actually gotten WIDER… Something that is considered rare/not to normally happen.

I have no doubt the vitamins all have helped (he takes about 40+, I couldn’t even list them all!)

I left her a message on this issue and we’ll see what she comes back with, I asked her how much Vit C her husband has been taking.

What about loose bowels with too much Vit C? Is there a form to take that would prevent looser bowels? jam

A Friend
    Participant

@jaminhealth wrote:

AF: I’ve been a member of ProHealth for many years…and I know about the Mega C dosing but don’t follow thru with it….I need to re-visit that again….Here is a comment from a member and her husband’s spinal stenosis issues;
    (Due to his other problems, such as atypical Bell’s palsy and RSD/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, he has been taking high dosages of many vitamins, including C. …………….

What about loose bowels with too much Vit C? Is there a form to take that would prevent looser bowels? jam

EDIT NOTE: Down below in the body of the reply to Jam, look at the words highlighted in red about bowel tolerance. I took a paper by Dr. Cathcart with me to an appointment earlier today, and read the following paper by Dr. Cathcart:
    http://arthritistrust.org/Articles/Vitamin%20C%20How%20to%20Use%20the%20Great%20Missing%20Vitamin.pdf

Supplement to The Art of Getting Well
    Vitamin C: How to Use
    The Great Missing Vitamin

[In the paper, he wrote that one should use only ascorbic acid for determining bowel tolerance. If anyone is planning to use this therapy, it is recommended they read this paper, which is found on http://www.arthritistrust.org and can be found under “Articles Important”…. just in case the above link does not work.]

[an excerpt from the paper]

Cathcart’s “Bowel Tolerance” technique is simple to apply.
    A normal person can probably get by very well on between 4 and
    15 grams per 24 hour period. This includes, of course, the amounts
    you consume via green peppers, lettuce, fruits and so on. When
    one comes down with a sickness, or has been under unusual stress,
    one increases the amount of Vitamin C consumed each 24 hours to
    the point where diarrhea just begins — then one backs off to the
    dosage used the day prior to the diarrhea. That “just lower than
    required to produce diarrhea,” is the exact amount your body
    needs for the time being. Only ascorbic acid can be used for determining
    by bowel tolerance the correct amount of Vitamin C that is
    required!
    [End of Edit note]

Hi Jam,

About the husband’s diagnoses, including the atypical Bell’s palsy and RSD… be sure to read the new topic I posted this morning… it was specifically sought for help for patients with related genetic variances, and has exciting info. I’ve not yet gotten to digest it, but have an appt. and am leaving asap.

Also, about the loose bowels. In the Pauling book I’ve referred to, as well as hearing/reading elsewhere, it is important to consume the higher dosages with food… preferably a meal. Once you reach bowel tolerance (intolerance), back up to the dosage the previous day when it did not make you run to the “necessary room.” Also, Pauling and my ACAM have given information that the Sodium Ascorbate Powder is less acidic and my opinion is that this is definitely better for myself. You may already know that when IVs are given, the type used for these is the Sodium Ascorbate type and it can be given at extremely high levels, and can include any other needed/desireable vitamins/minerals/etc.

More later,
    AF

jaminhealth
    Participant

AF: I did read the article you posted and actually found it in PH archieves and bumped it up for everyone else over there…I’m seriously looking into and re-visiting this mega dosing of Vit C…..later….jam with thanks…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.