Home Forums General Discussion Smilax/Sarsaparilla Root

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

Hi Everyone–

Has anyone tried this supplement with any success?

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/Smilax.html

http://www.rain-tree.com/sarsaparilla.htm

Thanks,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Trudi,

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of this but had a good read of the links you sent. Sounds like it's of the same genre as plant sterols (contains a type of glycoside), also the basis of bio-identical hormones (triterpene gylcosides), which are made from yams. Plant sterols seem to have some immune-modulating (possibly immune suppressive?) properties, because they have some effect on our 'steroidal' hormones.

I'm still kind of at odds within myself about hormone supplementation, bio-identical or otherwise, so not sure I'd feel 100% sure about this one, either. That said, if it brings inflammatory relief when you're going through a rough patch with herxing, why not? Most likely a lot safer than NSAIDs and OTC anti-inflammatories.

Sounds like the side-effects are rare, but there is a caution to be careful not to oversupplement, as it could cause gastro-intestinal upset….this may be a heads up to watch for any interactions with other meds and exacerbation of any leaky gut issues.

Just some passing thoughts that came to mind, but can't validate any of this for sure…maybe someone like Lynnie or A Friend can offer some better insight or somone who has actually tried this and had success.

Wasn't Sarsaparilla a soda drink for kids in the old days? Don't know why that also came to mind and may be something quite different!!! :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Maz–

Thanks for your response.  I kind of keyed in on the real positive side and glossed over the hormonal part so I'm glad you pointed it out.

My husband said the same–wasn't there a soda made with it–there was:  root beer!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Oh, how funny, Trudi….maybe we should all be drinking rootbeer!!! :roll-laugh: 

We had a big family with 5 kids while growing up and I remember the monthly outings we used to do, all crammed in the back seat of Dad's car, was to go to the drive-in movie theater and the drive-thru A & W, where the waitress would come out to your car and put the tray on your window! Being quite young, I always got the baby mug, but used to pinch some of my Mum's, too, when I'd finished sozzling mine down. Can't stand the stuff now; way too sweet for these old tastebuds….ugh.

Thanks for reminding me of that funny old memory…too bad drive-in movies are a thing of the past.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Smilax/Sarsaparilla Root’ is closed to new replies.