Home Forums General Discussion Simple IGeneX Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Conniel7777
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question..

I am preparing to get blood drawn ( in July ) and have my AP doc sign off on it and have it shipped to IGeneX for Lyme testing… so I am getting ready to call IGeneX to request to have the “Lyme Kit” mailed to me…

But..

WHICH Lyme test do I request? on their site, they list the following two:

The Complete Initial Lyme Panel includes IFA, IgG and IgM Western Blots and PCR (whole blood and serum):

Panel 6050* #230 (Lyme IFA), #188, #189, #456,and #453

The Initial Lyme Panel includes IgG and IgM Western Blots and PCR (whole blood and serum):

Panel 5010** #188, #189 & #456, and #453

Which is the standard one that everyone here initially asks for?? I mean, am I reading that correctly.. it looks like two different tests listed here.. or am I reading it wrong??

Thanks!

Connie   >^..^<  

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1441]Conniel7777[/user] wrote:

Which is the standard one that everyone here initially asks for?? I mean, am I reading that correctly.. it looks like two different tests listed here.. or am I reading it wrong??

Hi Connie,

Nice to see you! 🙂

Those are just the packages that IGeneX offers, but in most cases aren't needed. Just the basic western blot (IgM and IgG) is needed initially and usually provides enough info to detect if Lyme is an issue or not. The test numbers for these are #188 and 189.

The lab does keep the blood sample for a month or two, so if the test result is questionable, but certain significant bands are showing IND (like Band 31 which is highly specific for Lyme, but may cross-react with certain viruses/vaccines), there is further etiope testing that can be done then to clarify.

The reason that just the basic western blot is run is because it's lighter on the finances to start this way, but also a good LLMD will automatically assume coinfections are present and treat them, anyway, if Lyme is probable or definitively positive, knowing that no tests for Lyme and coinfections will be 100% accurate. There are just too many strains of all these bugs. So a positive test is a nice confirmation, but can't rule out Lyme (or coinfections, if tested separately). They also feel that not treating suspected coinfections is more risky than treating them, as usually when we get this sick, it's safe to assume we're also coinfected.

Hope this helps!

Peace, Maz

Okie Tam
    Participant

Maz,

Mind if I add a question about procuring this test as well?

I printed the form for IGeneX labs off the computer yesterday and researched your previous comments on the subject so knew what tests to order but my question is – can I just fill-out the form, include my CC info and have them send the kit to me or must I take the form to my doctor to fill in the physician info and have the doctor submit the form?

My mild case of RA is turning on me and I'm beginning to have inflammation where none was previously and getting nodules on my elbows and ankle. This happened around the time I discovered a tic on my back. I did get a rash and had itching and swelling for several months. I'm also aware of a tick bite approximately 10 years ago that also took months to heal. On AP for 1.5 years and now this. Time to start more investigation.

Thanks,

Tammy

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1441]Conniel7777[/user] wrote:

WHICH Lyme test do I request? on their site, they list the following two:

Hi Connie–

I just ordered a Lyme testing kit by phone and it came with an order form which lists all the available tests–you don't need to specify when ordering.  The kit was here in a few days.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Conniel7777
    Participant

Maz and Trudi,

Thank you both very much!

I was supposed to get this lyme testing AGES ago… but put it off for financial reasons…

But I cant afford NOT to do it, you know?

Connie   >^..^<

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1095]Okie Tam[/user] wrote:

I printed the form for IGeneX labs off the computer yesterday and researched your previous comments on the subject so knew what tests to order but my question is – can I just fill-out the form, include my CC info and have them send the kit to me or must I take the form to my doctor to fill in the physician info and have the doctor submit the form?

My mild case of RA is turning on me and I'm beginning to have inflammation where none was previously and getting nodules on my elbows and ankle. This happened around the time I discovered a tic on my back. I did get a rash and had itching and swelling for several months. I'm also aware of a tick bite approximately 10 years ago that also took months to heal. On AP for 1.5 years and now this. Time to start more investigation.

Hi Tammy,

When you call IGeneX for your testing kit to be sent to you, it should contain all the forms necessary to go ahead with the testing. You just fill in everything you can on the form and then have your doc sign off on it. You then take the signed lab requisition to your local LabCorp or Quest, where they will draw the blood, spin and pack it for you in the packing materials provided. You just have to put the sample in the return mailer provided, along with your signed paperwork and check and drop it off at your local UPS store. Best to get blood drawn early in week to ensure blood sample doesn't degrade in mail depot over the weekend.

Results are returned from IGeneX within 2 to 3 weeks to the ordering physician and important to get a hard copy from him regardless of the result. You can then post your results here – should be an IgM and IgG result – and one of the volunteers here will help you go through the results.  

Unless the doc is an LLMD who draws the blood in-office and sends for you, it is really best to do it all yourself and send everything in the return mailer together, rather than relying on office staff to do the necessary…just in case. 😉

If you don't receive your test kit in time for your doc appt, then you can also print the necessary lab requisition form that the doc needs to sign off the IGeneX site, but be sure to wait for your kit before getting your sample drawn, as there will be instructions on how to go about it all in the kit, plus other forms they will want you to complete.

Hope this helps, Tammy! Think you are very wise with a past history of tick bites to look into this angle.

Peace, Maz

redrock
    Participant

Maz, I have a follow up question on this. I always go to Labcorp for my routine blood tests. I can just show up there with the tube and the request form signed by my doctor and they will draw the blood for me and give me back the tube so that I can mail it off to Igenex?

Do they charge for this service? I assume they do, and if so, what does it cost approximately?

Or can I use my insurance to pay for the blood draw itself? (I know I need to send $200 to Igenex for them to process it).

Kash
    Participant

Forgive me if I am stepping about the wrong test…but I remember the blood had to handled special, spinning or something and I had to go to a lab that performed that procedure.

Does this make sense::?

Okie Tam
    Participant

[user=2547]redrock[/user] wrote:

Maz, I have a follow up question on this. I always go to Labcorp for my routine blood tests. I can just show up there with the tube and the request form signed by my doctor and they will draw the blood for me and give me back the tube so that I can mail it off to Igenex?

Do they charge for this service? I assume they do, and if so, what does it cost approximately?

Or can I use my insurance to pay for the blood draw itself? (I know I need to send $200 to Igenex for them to process it).

Hi redrock:
    Since I just did this within the last month I thought I would add my process.

IGeneX provides you a kit containing the tubes, labels and instructions for the phlebotomist to follow. I gave my doctor the paper work filled out with my information and also checked the Western Blot tests #188, #189. Those two test are charged to your CC at $200. IGeneX will send you a statement to send to your insurance provider. I don't know what my insurance will cover as I haven't heard from them yet.

I then picked up the paperwork and took it and the kit to my local lab to draw blood. The Phlebotomist filled two tubes and labeled them. One had to be put through a spinning process which took approximately 30 minutes. The receptionist did take my insurance card and file insurance for the procedure. My cost was $16 but I'm sure each insurance company is different. The lab will pack the tubes in the special container and then insert into the box and the clear FedEx envelope. The FedEx envelope is already labeled and addressed to return to IGeneX. I then took it to the nearest FedEx Store and dropped it off. Shipping is already paid. About two weeks later they faxed my results to my doctor. Do remember to have your blood drawn and shipped no later than Wednesday.

Hope that helps.

Tammy

redrock
    Participant

Did you do test # 188 and # 189? Because it says on my form that these tests require .5 ml serum. It says on the top: “Serum requirements: draw in REd Top Vacutainer, separate, send serum. OR draw serum separator tube, spin, send tube.” So it looks like the spin thing is optional? 

They sent me 2 tubes, a red top tube with some yellow substance at the bottom and a smaller tube with a lavendar top.

Very confusing. I guess I will call the lab.

Okie Tam
    Participant

Yes, those are the test I did and I believe the one with the liquid (?) in the tube  took 30 minutes to spin. I assume that is how they get the serum but not real up on phlebotomy.

I know she drew blood for both viles but only one required the spinning process. She did include both labeled vile in the package. I think the whole process took me about 45 minutes from the time I walked in to the time I left with my package for FedEx.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Redrock,

Tammy has explained everything beautifully already – thanks, Tammy. 🙂

I just went to my local Quest (on a Monday so blood sample didn't degrade in mail over the weekend), gave them the paperwork and directions for the draw and they did everything for me and packed the sample in the packing materials provided with the kit. So, yes…I just showed up and the Quest phlebotomist did the necessary. So, no need to worry…the phlebotomist will know what vials to use and will understand the directions that come with the kit.

Quest didn't charge me anything for the blood draw (I think because it was an unusual request and they didn't have to send it to their own lab), but I understand that some labs may make a nominal charge for the actual draw. I then took the packed blood sample, my completed paperwork and check in the mailer provided to my local UPS store and mailed it off in the pre-paid packet.

Some insurance companies will cover the cost of the IGeneX labs. It really depends what your carrier will cover. As Tammy explained, you'll get a statement from IGeneX and you just mail this off to your carrier with the requisite claim form (these are usually downloadable from your carrier's website) and wait to see what portion of the test, if any, they will cover. I recall that Kim's carrier covered her IGeneX labs. I never actually made a claim to my carrier, as I didn't want to be “labeled and stigmatized” by my diagnosis. Some insurance companies are using the Lyme diagnosis to refuse treatments. Of course, here in CT now, we have the Lyme Bill, which provides protection to Lyme docs treating chronic Lyme, but insurance companies are still using the restrictive IDSA Lyme treatment guidelines as medical edicts to refuse payment. In NC, for instance, (according to Dr. J, a well-respected LLMD) although doctors have been denying its existence in this state, insurance companies are asking enrolling patients whether or not they have been diagnosed with Lyme! There's a bit of an irony there….

All the best with getting your labs drawn…everything should be self-explanatory when you get your kit.

Peace, Maz

redrock
    Participant

Thanks so much for this info.

One last question, do I need to fast for this test?

Maz
    Keymaster

One last question, do I need to fast for this test?

Hi Redrock,

No need to fast…that is just for metabolic type tests. This is an antibody test and food will not change the result.

Peace, Maz

redrock
    Participant

Just an update on this Lyme testing. I went to my local Labcorp here in Florida where I get all my bloodwork done, and they refused to draw my blood. They said they don't do blood draws for outside labs. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I don't know where I'm going to get this done as if I can't get my regular lab to do it, I doubt a lab who doesn't know me at all will agree to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ Simple IGeneX Question’ is closed to new replies.