Home Forums General Discussion Sed Rate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alli
    Participant

The doctors have never told me what an elevated sed rate means, nor have they addressed it when the levels are above normal.  I have questioned the lab tech but am not satisfied.  It's not something that gets checked with the rest of my blood work, I have been requesting it be done.  When it was checked in Feb it was 39 and March it was 49.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Should I be requesting that it be checked every month with the rest of my labs?  

Maybe I'm just asking to be worried about something that is completely unnecessary, if that's the case……please tell me:)

And as long as I'm asking, my CO2 is always slightly elevated, anywhere from 30 to 35, what does that mean?  I forgot to ask my pulmonologist about it on my last visit, but feel very comfortable asking you all – your education with our diseases always astounds me.

Thanks….Alli

Roz
    Participant

Elevated sed rate is from infection. At least it has been in my case.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1785]Alli[/user] wrote:

The doctors have never told me what an elevated sed rate means, nor have they addressed it when the levels are above normal.  I have questioned the lab tech but am not satisfied.  It's not something that gets checked with the rest of my blood work, I have been requesting it be done.  When it was checked in Feb it was 39 and March it was 49.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Should I be requesting that it be checked every month with the rest of my labs?  

And as long as I'm asking, my CO2 is always slightly elevated, anywhere from 30 to 35, what does that mean?  I forgot to ask my pulmonologist about it on my last visit, but feel very comfortable asking you all – your education with our diseases always astounds me.

Hi Alli,

Here is a link to Lab Tests Online which gives an explanation of SED rate or Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate. It is a measure of systemic inflammation and should be about half your current age…so, if you are 36, 18 would be a good number:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/esr/glance.html

You should also be able to look up CO2 on this site or other tests you're in need of an explanation for. Hope this helps, Alli!

These tests can fluctuate from day to day and  month to month, but it's the overall longterm trend you want to be watching for. Usually a flare will increase SED, for instance, so it may come down next time…if it's consistently increasing in the next few months, however, you may want to go back to the drawing board and see if there is something you may need to tweak in your protocol, as you've been on AP since the Fall.  

Peace, Maz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Sed Rate’ is closed to new replies.