Home Forums General Discussion SD'ers: Krill Oil To Thin Blood / Reduce SED & CRP?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Conniel7777
    Participant

~~I guess anyone can answer this question, but I called special attention to those w/ SD because I have limited SD.~~

I have recently begun to take Schiffs brand Omega Red Krill oil. I have just started taking 1 300 mg capsule per day.

I am doing this specifically to see if it will help lower my SED rate. ( the other heart healthy & inflammation reducing benefits are also what I am going for )

To any of you who take either the Omega Red Krill oil or any type of fish oil / krill oil, how much are you taking a day? the bottle says 1 to 3 a day… at 3 a day, that would be 900 mg of krill oil…

How much are you taking, and did you see any obvious benefits? did it help your SED rate, or CRP?

Thanks!

Connie  >^..^<

mschmidt
    Participant

Connie,

I've been taking Krill Oil since October of last year.  Unfortunately, I never had elevated anything in my blood, other than ANA so, I have nothing to monitor it by.  Given that I take a boatload of supplements daily, I doubt I'll ever fully know what's responsible for what.  I take 1,000mg of Krill Oil every day, no problems.  I think I read somewhere that it can take 3-6 months to see results but, don't quote me on that.

Maria

Kim
    Participant

Hi Connie,

I haven't taken Krill oil, but I know Mercola is a big fan so you might “search” his site for articles.  Between the sauna and Neprinol I've thinned my blood to an acceptable range.

Take care……kim

Conniel7777
    Participant

Maria,

1,000 mg, huh? ok.. I will try going up to 2 capsules a day for a total of 600 mg and see how that goes.. thanks for your reply!

Conniel7777
    Participant

Kim,

I went right over to Dr. Mercolas site and read up on this.. Thank you. I have a $130.00 bottle of Serracor NK sitting in my house that I cant take.. the capsules are waaaaay too large for me to swallow. ( I have a lap band and can only take tiny capsules ) Maz had suggested I order some teeny tiny empty capsules on the net, and fill them myself, and I did order them, but 1 Serracor capsule fills up 3 tiny ones.. if i need to take like 10 Serracor a day, that would be 30 teeny capsules, which would not work. that would make it just as impossible as taking the big ones.  🙁

So, for me, it will have to be the krill oil and the sauna and some dietary changes.

Lyn_x
    Participant

I've been on 5 grams (5000 mg) of Omega-3 per day for about three years.  I've been on a lesser dose from 2001 to 2007.  I stopped taking it for < 2weeks once in 2007, and my SED raised by 20 points. I don't know if it has slowed disease, helped with immune system, or not–however I believe it has been helpful in moderating the effects of inflammation (decreasing headaches, etc)–since many of the detrimental affects of any of our illnesses happens to be inflammation, I feel it is one of the safer things I can do.  There is ample research evidence that it is helpful with arthritis like pain, etc.

In 1996, I started following The Zone Diet by Barry Sears and have followed his advice on inflammation since.  The focus of the diet, along with the fish oil, is to moderate/control inflammation.  Most of the information is available online (i.e. you don't need to buy anything from him), however at least a few of my friends found the  Anti-Inflammation Zone book helpful (one is a very health oriented Physical Therapist)–you can usually find one at a used book store (any time I see any of the books I buy it for friends).   The last Zone book I gave out helped a diabetic reduce her insulin by half in two weeks (this totally impressed her doc).

Kim
    Participant

[user=1441]Conniel7777[/user] wrote:

Kim,

I went right over to Dr. Mercolas site and read up on this.. Thank you. I have a $130.00 bottle of Serracor NK sitting in my house that I cant take.. the capsules are waaaaay too large for me to swallow. ( I have a lap band and can only take tiny capsules ) Maz had suggested I order some teeny tiny empty capsules on the net, and fill them myself, and I did order them, but 1 Serracor capsule fills up 3 tiny ones.. if i need to take like 10 Serracor a day, that would be 30 teeny capsules, which would not work. that would make it just as impossible as taking the big ones.  🙁

So, for me, it will have to be the krill oil and the sauna and some dietary changes.

Connie,

I don't know how nasty it would be, but you might try dumping the contents of the Serracor/Neprinol in some applesauce and seeing if you can get it down. 😕  It's worked so well for me, I hate that you can't seem to get it down.

Take care…..kim

Conniel7777
    Participant

Kim,

I tried applesauce.

1) the taste- even mixed w/ applesauce – was so horrendous– words cannot describe. think rancid nacho cheese and dirty socks mixed together, and intensify that times 10. yes, it was that bad! ( I have referred to it as Gargoyle vomit )

BUT.. that being said.. I was willing to still keep taking it, as bad taste, as unpleasant as it may be, wont kill me… but then I was told as soon as the stuff gets mixed w/ applesauce, the enzymes immediately begin to go to work on the applesauce, and would not be able to get into my blood and do their job dissolving the thick blood, etc….

Nice, huh??  🙁

Please, if you have any other suggestions, let me know….. because I would love to keep taking it….

Conniel7777
    Participant

Wow.. good information.

I am so thankful for the krill oil, because there is no way I could swallow many huge fish oil capsules per day, and then burp up anchovy flavor.. Acck!

I am crossing my fingers that this will work… combined w/ diet change and a new exercise plan….

I am hoping the bloodwork 3 months from now will show an improvement.

Thanks for sharing!

Connie   >^..^<

Lyn_x
    Participant

[user=1441]Conniel7777[/user] wrote:

I am so thankful for the krill oil, because there is no way I could swallow many huge fish oil capsules per day, and then burp up anchovy flavor.. Acck!

I take liquid because there are too many pills and they get stuck.  I freeze the bottle which cuts the taste and makes it easier to pour…and is actually not too bad….but my son who was also on it, called the after effects 'sushi burps'. lol.

Also, a Sjogren's researcher said that (she believed) some of the effects on my eyes were moderated by the fish oil.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ SD'ers: Krill Oil To Thin Blood / Reduce SED & CRP?’ is closed to new replies.