Home Forums General Discussion SAMe vs MSM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anna
    Participant

SAMe S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) is a naturally occurring compound that is found in almost every tissue and fluid in the body, and is involved in many important processes. There is more info:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/s-adenosylmethionine-000324.htm

there are few study I found that SAMe as good as Celebrex after 2 month:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/5/6

My question is: what is the difference between MSM and SAMe

anyone has try this?

jaminhealth
    Participant

I attempted SAMe 2 times in about 10 yrs.  First when it arrived in the U.S. and I knew nothing about it and took the low dose of 200 mg a day as I recall.  It was quite expensive and I think I took it for maybe a month and NOTHING.  $200 I think it cost me back then.

Then a year or so ago after I learned more about it I took something like 800 mg per day in 400 mg doses.  Did this for a couple months maybe and nothing again at this higher dose.

Then a gf started on it for depression and she was taking the 1200 mg per day in 600 mg doses.  She was doing OK for a while and then it started to bother her stomach and she even found herself throwing up.   So she stopped it.  Those are my stories on SAMe.

I've been on MSM too since early Dec 2008.  Was up to 30 grams per day in probably 3-4 doses.  It's helped but then someone just mentioned elsewhere that it can decrease Iron Stores (Ferritin)…I don't need that.  So I'm backing down some. 

I wouldn't take Celebrex as I developed a stomach ULCER from another inflammatory med in the 80's.   I'm rather paranoid about them now. 

I can't even take turmeric/curmerin as it irritates that old stomach ULCER area.     

Trudi
    Participant

[user=970]jaminhealth[/user] wrote:

I've been on MSM too since early Dec 2008.  Was up to 30 grams per day in probably 3-4 doses.  It's helped but then someone just mentioned elsewhere that it can decrease Iron Stores (Ferritin)…I don't need that.  So I'm backing down some. 

I had elevated Ferritin levels and my doctor said that it was a sign of inflammation.   It's good to know that MSM also works in this way–of course, one does have to be careful not to over do it.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jaminhealth
    Participant

Elevated Ferritin levels are a sign of inflammation?????

My Ferritin levels are historically low and I take iron supps to bring them up.

This Ferritin issue is one that has confused me for a long long time. 

The Ferritin range is wide 15.0-300.  My latest labs showed a rnage of 40.1

I've always been under the impression that Ferritin needs to be 90 or so.  So you're saying the higher the more inflammation!!!

Trudi
    Participant

My all-time high Ferritin level was 266 in Oct'08 (my doctor wanted to do phlebotomies to get rid of some of the Ferritin, but my hematocrit was too low and I am anemic so couldn't do it); he put me on supplements to reduce my inflammation and now in May'09 my Ferritin is down to 91 (the reference range at my lab is 10-160 ng/mL)

My doctor wants to see it at 20. 

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jaminhealth
    Participant

Trudi, that is shocking.  I had no idea on that one.  I thought with low ferritin (iron stores) one would have more fatigue.  I was down to 20 and have been trying to get up  higher.    All my other irons are just fine. 

Interesting story some yrs back I went to a hematologist as did my daughter.  They were in the same group of docs.  One said low ferritin had nothing  to do with fatigue and the other one said it did.  I was shocked at those two conflicting responses to this ferritin issue. 

Trudi
    Participant

I've had my ferritin levels checked regularily because there is a family history of hemochromatosis; too much ferritin is really not a good thing!!   The doctor I am seeing now is the FIRST that ever ran the test without my requesting it.  His nurse said he runs the test on all his patients, I believe, every 4 months–he feels it is so important to know the results.

There are so many contributing factors to fatigue, maybe both the doctors are correct :).

Trudi

jaminhealth
    Participant

Trudi, yes, there are many factors to this Fatigue issue.  And back during those tests and at the hematologists office, the Vit D deficiency was NEVER discussed.  None of my docs back then ever approached that issue. 

Now, my Vit D levels are optimal and I have far less fatigue and depression.  Get the Vit D optimized has made a huge difference for me. 

m.
    Participant

I always do a CBC with Serum Iron and Ferritin from the same blood draw. I've been doing those about every two months.

One of the body's defense mechanisms is to store iron as ferritin in an effort to starve infectious microbes.

===

I've never taken MSM, but I do take 200 mg SAM-e upon waking on an empty stomach.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=732]m.[/user] wrote:

One of the body's defense mechanisms is to store iron as ferritin in an effort to starve infectious microbes.

Interesting!  Never heard of this before, but it certainly makes sense.  My body has been doing a lot of storing :)!  Before this illness, my ferritin level was 11.

Trudi

Trudi
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Interesting!  Never heard of this before, but it certainly makes sense.  My body has been doing a lot of storing :)!  Before this illness, my ferritin level was 11.

Did a little research on this and came up with this excellent article–

http://www.gordonresearch.com/articles_iron/the_role_iron_cancer_infections.html

Glad you brought this up, m.

Trudi

m.
    Participant

Great, I'm glad you found it helpful.

Here is a good site too:

http://www.irondisorders.org/

Trudi
    Participant

Great, I'm glad you found it helpful.

Here is a good site too:

http://www.irondisorders.org/

Thank you!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ SAMe vs MSM’ is closed to new replies.