Home Forums General Discussion safe pain relief.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have an alternative for pain relief to an opiate.

I did think it was a good one but am having second thoughts.

I know on the Mp site early on there was something recommended and I thought I had written it down but I cannot find it.

Would be grateful for your help here.

linda
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

There are many safe alternatives, but they don't work in 15 min and usually take a few weeks to build up a cumulative effect. I have used acupuncture, warm water therapy and myofascial massage therapy; the acupuncture was the most effective. It releases endorphins, which is what opiates do, but without the risk of dependence and the side effects of drowsiness, constipation, etc.

The way it was given to me was twice a week for a few weeks, then once a week for a few weeks, then once every 2 weeks, and finally once a month; as I said it is cumulative- each treatment lasts a little bit longer than the last treatment. My energy also increased. Like anything, it has varying rates of success for everyone, but I think it's worth checking out before starting an opiate.

There are 2-3 drugs here in the states that also work well with less side effects (again, for most people), they are called Lyrica and Tramadol. There is a slight risk of dependence with tramadol, but it's not as high as with something like vicodin. Lyrica is used primarily for neuropathy and the burning kind of pain people with fibromyalgia experience. A third choice that has no side effects unless you are allergic to lidocaine is something called Lidoderm patches. They are topical patches that can be worn for 12 hours and they numb the area very well. You can wear up to 3 at a time and they can be cut into any shape. I don't know if they are available in Oz, tho. I hope that this helps, if you're considering an opiate you must be in quite a bit of pain. 🙁 

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you have any questions about acupuncture I'm more than happy to answer them.

linda

Thank you so much for that info.  It was Tramadol I was trying to find.

I cannot believe the opiate is making things worse but it is.  I should be doing better than I am with a rife machine as well.  I did not realise until I stopped it for a week and all hell broke loose.   I will be able to get off anything I am so determined this is not going to beat me.  I just need something for the moment.  Most have coedine in them and panadol on its own is not enough.  I had a shocking accident about 12 years ago with a fracture which has effected my spine.

Unfortunately darling I cannot have the acupuncture yet until my immune system recovers or that caused me terrible pain as well.  I was using it early on and it was fabulous so I know what you mean.  I was travelling from the country every three days because that was all it would last, then my immune system crashed and once that happened I could not tolerate it.  It might be o.k. if you are having it already when this happens I do not know for sure but when you are really sensitive you cannot tolerate even that.  I probably will always have some pain with the accidents I have had.  Thanks again.

I could not find this message on the board.  Have they removed it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ safe pain relief.’ is closed to new replies.