Home Forums General Discussion Root Canal and RA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    Participant

I have been on minocin for over 3 years. I go to Dr. T in Boston.  I was doing very well and had my dose cut in half to see the results.  After 3 months on the half dose my old symptoms have begun to re-appear.  I will also add that my dose was cut in half because of discoloration on my face which Dr. T said happens in only 2 to 5 % of those taking minocin. ( lucky me!)  One of my questions is: does anyone think that you can develop a tolerence to minocin and have to switch to another antibiotic? Has anyone read much on root canals? What I have heard is that the bacteria can be harbored in a root canaled tooth and be almost impossible to eradicate unless the tooth is removed. I hate to try this but I am beginning to wonder.  I intend to ask Dr. T but I would like other opinions from those who have been there  or have asked other doctors these questions. Thank you Elizabeth

I give up on root canals….  too much infection

Sierra
    Participant

There's a lot of discussion/info about root canals in the archives.

Sierra

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Elisabeth,

Welcome!  TO locate the discussion that has gone on regarding root canals, type in “root canal” in the “search box” top center of the screen.  Much good discussion.

Regarding your question about switching or adding other antibiotics.  Many of the most experienced AP doctors routinely use a combination of antibioitcs.  Dr. T is not one of these doctors.  I know one patient of Dr. T's who gets an RX for Zith once every six months or so just to keep things in check or when her RA flares a bit!  Even though she has been on AP for many years, she will still herx a bit. 

As far as the discoloration, there is a recent thread discussion that issue too, that you may find helpful.  Certainly reducing the dose will help, but the wise folks on this BBoard also have some ideas that might help the discoloration disapate faster.  Some have suggested taking ample doses of Vit C helps clear the discoloration.

Again, welcome!  I hope you find the BBOard useful.

Cheryl Ferguson

A Friend
    Participant

[user=476]Elizabeth[/user] wrote:

I have been on minocin for over 3 years. I go to Dr. T in Boston.  I was doing very well and had my dose cut in half to see the results.  After 3 months on the half dose my old symptoms have begun to re-appear.  I will also add that my dose was cut in half because of discoloration on my face which Dr. T said happens in only 2 to 5 % of those taking minocin. ( lucky me!)  One of my questions is: does anyone think that you can develop a tolerence to minocin and have to switch to another antibiotic? Has anyone read much on root canals? What I have heard is that the bacteria can be harbored in a root canaled tooth and be almost impossible to eradicate unless the tooth is removed. I hate to try this but I am beginning to wonder.  I intend to ask Dr. T but I would like other opinions from those who have been there  or have asked other doctors these questions. Thank you Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

This link about root canals is worth reading. 

http://www.rheumatic.org/teeth.htm

Good luck to you. 

AF

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Root Canal and RA’ is closed to new replies.