Home Forums General Discussion Risk factors for RA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

Increased risk for developing RA:

Female sex, a positive family history, older age, silicate exposure, and smoking are associated with an increased risk for developing rheumatoid arthritis.1,5,6 Consumption of more than three cups of coffee daily-particularly decaffeinated coffee-also may contribute.7

Decreased risk for developing RA:

High vitamin D intake,8 tea consumption,7 and oral contraceptive use6 are associated with decreased risk.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050915/1037.html

Most studies have not found any association between silicone breast implants and rheumatoid arthritis or other autoimmune disease (except possibly Sj

Joe M
    Participant

I am always confused by these studies.  They do not answer the “why” part of the correlation.  For example, someone could find out that people who drive blue cars are twice as likely to get RA as people who drive red cars.  Might be true, but doesn't mean a thing.  Until they can start explaining WHY certain activities lead to a greater incidence of RA, these correlation studies are just useless factoids, in my opinion.

Jo
    Participant

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote:

I am always confused by these studies.  They do not answer the “why” part of the correlation.  For example, someone could find out that people who drive blue cars are twice as likely to get RA as people who drive red cars.  Might be true, but doesn't mean a thing.  Until they can start explaining WHY certain activities lead to a greater incidence of RA, these correlation studies are just useless factoids, in my opinion.

It would be nice if everything in life that we needed to know was all laid out for us, and so all we had to do was follow instructions.

Unfortunately, it isn't so.

Until then, the more information we have, the more we can try things for ourselves to see what works for us, and what doesn't.

I'll try to give you an example, when I have time, unless someone else does it better first.

Blessings

Jo

richie
    Participant

Hi Jo
    do you agree with these studies ????
    Richie

Joe M
    Participant

[user=465]Jo[/user] wrote:

Until then, the more information we have, the more we can try things for ourselves to see what works for us, and what doesn't.

Jo

Again, I agree with you.  The best we can do is live according to common sense guidelines, enjoy things in moderation, and hope for the best. 

Hope you have a great weekend!

Joe

richie
    Participant

Hi
    many studies indicate no relationship to implants and rheumatic disease –this came from Healthnet —Scleroderma is am rheumatoid disease —-Dow Chemicl settled thousands of lawsuits in a class action –it cost them billions –but they never admitted that silicone causes SD or Cancer

I have about 100 more studies about the link —

SILICONE BREAST IMPLANTS LINKED TO SCLERODERMA
    Approximately 100,000 breast implants are performed annually in the U.S. in a procedure known as augmentation mammoplasty. Silicone is surgically implanted both as a means of enlarging healthy breasts and of reconstructing a new breast after mastectomy. By 1984 there were 12 reported cases of scleroderma following augmentation mammoplasty. Five additional cases were reported recently by rheumatologist Harry Spiera, M.D. of Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York City (JAMA, 8 July 1988). Three of the women underwent mammoplasty for cosmetic reasons; two of them had had breast cancer. None had risk factors for scleroderma, such as exposure to vinyl chloride or bleomycin (an antibiotic given in conjunction with cancer chemotherapy). The disease developed two to 21 years following the silicone implant.

// Scleroderma is a potentially fatal skin condition that thickens and hardens the body's connective tissues causing joint pain, restricted limb and finger movement, and poor circulation of the fingers and toes. Disease progression to the intestines will prevent proper absorption of nutrients, and disease involvement of major organs, such as the heart or lungs, will cause death.
    In an attempt to explain how silicone could induce scleroderma, Dr. Spiera theorized that it may trigger an autoimmune response. Or, small amounts of silicone released by the implants into the surrounding tissue may be turned into silica. Macrophages (the scavenger white blood cells) that ingest silica have been shown to release substances that increase the production of collagen by connective tissue cells, according to Dr. Spiera. “Such a mechanism could explain how long-term exposure to silicone could lead to the systematic fibrosis seen in patients with scleroderma.”
    The five cases reported by Dr. Spiera are the only ones liked to silicone implants out of 113 females with scleroderma seen in his practice over the course of seven years. Though small, the proportion is considered statistically significant. Four of the women had been previously diagnosed by rheumatologists and/or dermatologists who did not elicit the presence of silicone implants in taking a medical history. It is quite possible that there are many other silicone-associated cases of scleroderma that have gone unrecognized by physicians.
    Only one woman opted to have the implants removed, which did alleviate symptoms to a certain extent. “There are not enough data at present to justify the routine [emphasis his] removal of the breast prosthesis in patients with scleroderma,” wrote Dr. Spiera. “However, if a patient becomes ill with a possibly life-threatening disease, this certainly—-on and on

Richie

wendi
    Participant

I have a hard time with this.  I fall under the decreased risk, but yet I have severe RA at a young age.

hugs

wendi

richie
    Participant

Hi
    My typing is terrible –I meant to put in quotes about silicone not causing rheumatic diseases –this was a statement in a previous post –which is contrary to what has occurred —while it has never been totally proven —there have been hundreds of reports and studies linking silicone implants with scleroderma and RA —-Dow chemical settled a massive lawsuit in which they paid billions —
    Richie

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Yes, Richie,

When I read that studies have never linked brest implants with auto-immune disorders all I could think was  1-amalgam fillings do not pose a risk of mercury poisoning and 2-the mercury in vaccines have nothing to do with autism, 3-smoking is not harmful to your health.

Still, I agree with Jo that all the information should be gathered.  We just don't have a good way to always know which studies are objective and which are not.

Susan

Tiff
    Participant

These things absolutely are meaningless to me.  It doesn't fit my situation well at all.

I read in Arthritis Today (I hate that magazine) that if your ring finger is LONGER than your pointer finger, even by a little bit, then you are at a higher risk for osteoarthritis of the knees.  What should we do then?  Hack our ring fingers off.

Where do they get the research funds for some of this stuff?

Seriously though, of course we should make our studies wide, consider lots of things, but I think the “scientific method” is seriously in question now days!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=45]Tiff[/user] wrote:

I read in Arthritis Today (I hate that magazine) that if your ring finger is LONGER than your pointer finger, even by a little bit, then you are at a higher risk for osteoarthritis of the knees.  What should we do then?  Hack our ring fingers off.

Tiff, no wonder my knees are being such a bloomin' nuisance…it was those silly long ring fingers of mine all along!!!!!! :roll-laugh: This will make you hoot…I read an article a year or so ago where they studied finger length in heterosexual and homosexuals and found that if a person had a pointer that was the same length as the ring finger….or longer…then they had a greater propensity to be homosexual! Everyone looking at their fingers now?

Honestly, I agree with you, wholeheartedly….where does the funding come for these inane studies and, really, who cares about finger length and sexual orientation? 

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Everyone looking at their fingers now?

Yup :roll-laugh:!!  My ring fingers are longer–I'm doomed–:crying:–NOT–this is one study I will ignore!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Tiff
    Participant

There was some other study about ring finger length that I read a long time ago that I can't recall.  I think it was about intelligence or some ability to do math or some such nonsense.  I guess this stuff kind of replaces astrology since it is kinda out of fashion.  Sheesh!

Heidi
    Participant

Hello, this article makes alot of sense to me. I got saline filled silicone implants last November and three weeks later I started having swelling in my joints and incredible pain. I have no history of RA, lupus, SD or any other autoimmune “Disease”  in my family. I fully believe I contracted bacteria in the OR or I was poisoned by the silicone. I had them removed in March. Thank God!! Now with AP and diet I think I'm feeling better. I really wish someone had told me about these risks though. The implant companys and sugeons still try to deny it!   Heidi

Donna
    Participant

Thanks Jo for your insights.  Have sent you a PM.  Don't know if I did it right.

Donna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Risk factors for RA’ is closed to new replies.