Home Forums General Discussion Ringing in the New Year – continued progress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SusanSD
    Participant

Belated Happy New Year everyone!

I just wanted to share my latest little achievement marker, similar to Randy's improvement. Quick recap: Have had SD for 3 yrs +. Been on AP 2 yrs.

My symptoms started with my hands – all swollen, and then later the hardening took over, with enlarged joints. Needless to say, I have not been able to remove one ring from my finger in these past 3 years. Well, last night, it was a bit chilly, and I tried once more to remove it, and it came off, with slight pain and pulling!

And just before the SD symptoms appeared, I had bought this beautiful ring but could not wear it for the last 3 years. Last month, I was able to slip it on my middle finger.

I am so excited because I have been hinting to my husband that an anniversary band would be nice because we'll be celebrating 10 years this summer. Now we can celebrate another little sign of getting back to normal.

For those of you who have SD, have you noticed your hands returning completely back to normal by year 3 of AP treatment?

orchid
    Participant

I'm so happy to hear about your progress, Susan! Congrats!! :):):)

Mumof3
    Participant

Congratulations Susan! I am so happy to hear that you are continuing to improve. I figured you were doing well when I hadn't seen you on here for a while. LOL! Glad you are doing so well.

JOJO19551
    Participant

Susan, You are such an inspiration, as I long to wear my wedding bands.  Patience is a virtue!!  Congratulations on your success. JoAnn

Maz
    Keymaster

Susan, this is fantastic news! I know how happy you must be feeling, because I hated not being able to wear my wedding rings and my grandmother's eternity ring, which are all so precious to me. Hands just felt bare somehow. What a great day it was when I could wear them again!!! 😀 So, congrats on this beautiful progress!!!

I'm glad it was this that you were sharing…I was wondering if you were going to say you were becoming “hairy and sweaty” like Randy!!!  :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

JeffN
    Participant

Great news Susan. Our SD time lines are very similar, it will be interesting to see what progress our third year of AP brings. I am hoping for straight fingers also. My swelling is way down function is good and I recently noticed that my ring fingers, which were never very curved but were curved somewhat, are VERY straight now when I try to straighten my fingers. I showed the woman who does my accupunture, who is also an OT, and she commented that she was suprised because she thought that once bent or curved the fingers stayed that way. I have been going to her for a while so she is familiar with my hands and she was able to see the improvement. So in any case I have hope for straight fingers down the road too.

Good luck with the ring!  😀

Kim
    Participant

Such exciting news, Susan.  It's what all of this represents that makes us so happy.  My hands are probably as good as they are going to get — not swollen, but the knuckles just look more bony. 

I can take Randy one step further — I'm hairy, sweaty aaaaaannnnnnnnd some wrinkles have come back.  Game on, guys. :roll-laugh:

MaryP
    Participant

Congrats, Susan!

Swollen fingers were my very first symptoms…I probably would not have noticed at first were it not for my rings.  Literally one morning I couldn't fit them over my knuckles.  Then, they got hard and collagen full and curved-ish.  I couldn't make a fist or straighten them out fully.  Within the past several months, they're getting better.  I can open a bottle (YAY) and the fullness is very slowly lessening. I also have a teeny bit of flesh that moves on the top of my hand and veins are reappearing there.  I have better mobility, dexterity, and strength with my hands now, but I've had better improvement elsewhere, I think.  Rings are my goal!   I do remember, though, my hands were just a mess as recently as a year ago, so I am making progress.  Congrats again on your improvements!

MaryP
    Participant

Ok, slight amendment needed, thanks to my sister who read my previous post and said “Are you kidding?”.  She reminded me that last winter, I had hand cramps, had to carry grocery bags in one at a time and bought milk by the half gallon, as a gallon was too heavy.  Now, I carry 6 bags and a gallon of milk and hand cramps are a true rarity   My bad.  I have made big strides in hand stuff.  🙂 

JeffN
    Participant

MaryP – I seem to remember reading somewhere that the first areas to be affected are the last areas to show improvement. That has been true in my case. Your hand issues seem to be similar to mine, being able to carry things again is wonderful!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Great new Susan! I hope you get a beautiful anniversary ring. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

MaryP
    Participant

[user=21]JeffN[/user] wrote:

MaryP – I seem to remember reading somewhere that the first areas to be affected are the last areas to show improvement. That has been true in my case. Your hand issues seem to be similar to mine, being able to carry things again is wonderful!

I read that too, Jeff, so I knew they'd get better, but the waiting is the hardest part, to steal a line there.  Improvements can happen so gradually that it's sometimes difficult to notice completely.  And, once you regain something, I think you “forget” how bad it was, or how difficult things were.   It *is* wonderful to carry things and just have that sense of normalcy again!!  I'll keep plugging along with my finger and stretching exercises and keep positivie.  Thanks!!

Kim
    Participant

Nice work, Mary!  That's some impressive progress. 🙂

SusanSD
    Participant

Mary and Jeff – I figure that we're in the home stretch if we're seeing improvements in the first areas afflicted with SD. It is a long wait, but worth it.

Jeff, that is so interesting that you mentioned ring fingers, because they are by far my “best fingers”. And that's so cool that your accupuncturist is also an OT (I am an OT too).

Mary, I think that the function you've gained in your hands is amazing and you're right, we're quick to forget how we couldn't do things. I kept a journal. I used to struggle to get dressed, put on jewelry, open containers, change diapers, etc. Not anymore.

Kim – you are too funny! What a picture you paint us to be (hairy, sweaty, and wrinkly). Some of us sport a nice tan – does that make us more appealing?

Thank you all for your well wishes ….. and happy healing to all.

Susan

Diffuse SD 3 yrs, AP 2 yrs, boatload of supplements and vitamins

Parisa
    Participant

Susan,

I'm so happy for you.  All those little things that people take for granted!  I think we are all so unaware of what our hands do for us until we go through something like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Ringing in the New Year – continued progress’ is closed to new replies.