Home Forums General Discussion Rheumatology Appointment Advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hoften
    Participant

HI: I requested an appointment with my rheumatologist to ask if they can prescribe me Minocycline. They made an appointment for me and I was wondering what would be some convincing information I can show them to encourage them to prescribe me these antibiotics.

Thank you so much.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Hoften, the website was designed to offer info to both patients and doctors so there are lots of resources you can browse to decide what you’d like to share with your doctor.

Most rheumies are aware of Minocycline as a disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD) for RA but may prefer to use other DMARDs or biologic disease modifiers. Minocycline is still listed by the American College of Rheumatology as a DMARD, so you might find that site’s fact sheet useful to print out, which you’ll find at the top of the Journal Article section on the site:

ACR Minocycline Fact Sheet

Most rheumies that prescribe mino will recommend the daily dosing schedule, which is described in the Daily Protocol (aka Harvard Protocol) Doctor Packet.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

hi Hoften
    Getting a rheumy to prescribe mino/doxi is like pulling teeth.They will tell you that they are not approved meds but do not tell you that if you have scleroderma there is not one med,everything they use is OFF LABLE so why not mino.Then they will say that you will ruin your gut microbiome but not mention that many immune suppressants will do the same.
    I have SD so Interlukins 1 and 6 are involved( IL 1 6) as well as Transfer Growth Factor 1-B(TGF 1-B) Mino/doxi inhibit tthese.Here are a few links that might help.

https://retrovirology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1742-4690-9-16
    retrovirology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1742-4690-9-16
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3620477/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.