Home Forums General Discussion Rheumatoid Factor, what does the number mean?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DiamondTNT
    Participant

So, I've been researching and still cannot find anything that explains the RF number.  I just found out mine is 362, but have no clue as to what this means.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Rheumatoid Factor (RF) is a blood marker which in normal range is 0 – 14. 362 is high. However, by itself it is not the sole indicator of active disease/inflammation. ESR and CRP are used to measure inflammation. There is a section on the main site under Education (possibly in physicians packet) that will explain these blood markers. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

DiamondTNT
    Participant

Thank you!  I'll go look around there some more.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi DiamondTNT,

RF or rheumatoid factor is a measurement of the circulating antibodies that correspond with a diagnosis of RA. However, it's important to note that RF can be elevated in a number of other conditions, too…so, not just RA. The test that is generally considered to be unquestionably confimatory of RA is the anti-CCP test…again, a test that measures particular antibodies.

Thing is, not everyone who has RA tests positive for RF and anti-CCP, confusing the picture further. I have found, personally, that RF seems to be quite sensitive to how we are feeling in the present moment, whereas anti-CCP is more a longrange test that is less sensitive to improvements. I read somewhere that anti-CCP can actually be positive for many years before RA erupts, so it's not an exact science, either. However, rheumies generally use this test to confirm RA and to define the treatment plan for a patient….the higher the number, the more aggressive the treatment.

I'm pretty glad I didn't go to a rheumy in the beginning, because no doubt I'd be on pretty hefty immunosuppression at this point. As it is, on AP, my anti-CCP is coming down and my RF, which was in the mid 500s is now down to the mid-30s!

The bottom line is that no one really knows what the testing of these antibodies means. They've just made correlations between disease severity/prognosis and these figures.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Rheumatoid Factor, what does the number mean?’ is closed to new replies.