Home Forums General Discussion Research Studies on Food and RA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Out of the blue, I linked to this website of incredibly interesting research results.

I was actually perusing a lyme disease thread when this link caught my eye because of the word rheumatoid.

http://www.anti-aging-guide.com/32rheumatoid.php#6

It contains several studies conducted on the impact of food and RA.

Sierra
    Participant

Thanks. For me, dietary changes have been extremely important. What works best for me is a gluten free, mostly vegan diet. No sugar or processed foods, no coffee (I drink black tea, though.)

Sierra

Sierra
    Participant

I should add that lately I've found lovely benefit in Indian food/spices. Ayurveda…good stuff to explore!

Sierra

superperroRA
    Participant

Susan, I've heard you say going diary free has been an invaluable step towards your RA remission. Before you got RA, was cow milk an important part of your diet, or were you indifferent to it?

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I never cared for milk except on cereal.  I did love cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc.

I really miss cheese the most. 

Also, avoiding dairy has made me learn how many products include dairy.  Just about everything.  I'm also allergic to soy protein.  Soy is one dairy substitute for most people, but I must avoid dairy and soy.

I sure hope this will not be for life.  It seems food sensitivities can resolve after you are off them for awhile (about 1 yr I read).  Then you just have to be careful not to eat them on a daily basis.

Susan

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

My AP doc says that it is almost universal that people in hospital on nil by mouth have great relief from rheumatoid symptoms and that diet is really key in both relieving symptoms and healing the gut. Gluten, dairy, sulphites and  preservatives are generally not good for anyone and esp those with these conditions (some can take goat's milk, not everyone, some can take soy, not everyone – but it has to be malt-free soy if you are going gluten-free). Lynnie 

P.S. she also says that the foods we most love (crave) are often the ones we are sensitive/allergic to

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Lynnie said:

P.S. she also says that the foods we most love (crave) are often the ones we are sensitive/allergic to

Yup.  Foods you eat daily or frequently are the ones you will develop a sensitivity too.  Rotational eating prevents this from occuring.  To eat rotationally, don't eat a food more than one day out of four.  ie:  eat as many potatoes on Monday as you want but don't eat them again until Friday or later.

I also think leaky gut causes food sensitivities, but that is just my opinion.

Susan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Research Studies on Food and RA’ is closed to new replies.