Home Forums General Discussion Research on anti-inflammatories

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lyndsaylee
    Participant

I have wondered if prolonged use of anti-inflammatories could have caused my triglyceride level to go up (197 – borderline high) I have PsA so I know there is a link to possible heart problems but wasn't sure how that “shows up” (cholesetrol, triglycerides, etc.) It also seems the longer I take them the more I hurt without them. Is there any research to that proves long term use of anti-inflammatories exacerbates joint pain/disease? (Or is my disease just worsening? 🙁

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lyndsaylee,

According to the following links outlining medication links to high triglycerides, only prednisone is mentioned. However, logically following the lists of conditions that can cause high triglycerides (like kidney or liver problems), longterm use of anti-inflammatories could aggravate these conditions and make things worse, indirectly.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-cause

http://www.optimal-heart-health.com/triglycerides.html

http://www.optimal-heart-health.com/causesofhightriglycerides.html

By a certain twist of irony, some NSAIDs can actually cause swelling, particularly of the ankles. In the beginning, I was put on naprosyn for a couple weeks and my Lyme doc wanted me off them asap for this very reason….he said they could exacerbate joint swelling. I don't know of any studies regarding this, though.

When my total cholesterol was high a couple years ago, I used a natural supplement called Cholest-natural from New Zealand. Great product! My cholesterol came down to below the upper range within 6 months. A friend tried it for her elevated triglycerides and it worked just as well for her. I wanted to avoid red yeast rice extract, because this natural product can also cause the severe muscle problems that the statins can cause.

Hope you are able to find some answers to your questions and resolve this soon.

Peace, Maz

Jo
    Participant
    DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, lyndsaylee:

Maz has some good links and I believe NSAIDs do have side effects that can exacerbate most of the rheumatic diseases, long-term.  They should not be relied upon or even called “treatment.”

But I noticed that you have PsA and wanted to submit that any further GIT damage would probably make this worse.  This disease has been, in several cases I know about, linked with celiac as the primary cause.  Grains and especially wheat are pro-inflammatory and elimination of gliadin (gluten-free) might specifically help reduce PsA, but certainly elimination of unnatural starches (bread, cake, pasta–flour products) can help reduce inflammation.

Fish oil–EFAs and especially GLA (borage seed oil) can even eliminate the need or the perception of the need for NSAIDs.  I recommend 11g daily and up to half can be EVOliveOil and 2-3 grams effective GLA immediately before retiring can work magic.

HEALTH,
    John

lyndsaylee
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your help. Regarding the links on triglycerides, I don't fit the typical pattern. I weigh 102 pounds (5 ft. 3 in.) and hardly take in any sugar at all. My fat intake it also pretty low (no red meat). I do however love peanut butter and eat a little every day. (Smuckers all natural mixed with ground flax) Previous to being on antibiotics, I ate a sweetened yogurt every day. Since being on them, however, I eliminated the sweetened yogurt and now eat plain yogut or kefir with xylitol and stevia. I don't drink soda nor have I for years. This rise in triglycerides is very recent –

Insofar as the carbs are concerned – I took out wheat a few months ago. I eat no bread, cereals, etc. The only grain I eat is brown rice, usually in the form of boiled rice and rice cakes (one to three a day)- actually, I feel like I am down to eating “not much!” I don't drink. My blood sugar is normal.

I do however have hypothyroidism and my dad had a heart condition. I can't remember much but he was thin like myself and I believe I remember him having high cholesterol.

John, your regimen sounds like a good one for me since the fish oil would take care of both triglycerides and inflammation. About how long does it take to start “feeling” results? Do I go off etodolac cold turkey or wean off? I have read that it's important to keep inflammation down to improve the efficacy of the antibiotics.

I have tried MSM and it really bothered my stomach. I know it sounds weird but it's true. I was so uncomfortable with it, I stopped taking it. I felt like a tight balloon! Same thing happened when I tried glucosamine chondroitin.:P

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hey, lyndsaylee:

About how long does it take to start “feeling” results? Do I go off etodolac cold turkey or wean off? I have read that it's important to keep inflammation down to improve the efficacy of the antibiotics

All NSAIDs are poisonous, and I don't know of any or any reason to taper off these drugs, which are not like steroids on purpose.  Long-term, for some of these rheumatic disease, they will do much more damage than good, so knowing what I now know, I would quit cold-turkey and sprint like a kangaroo away from anyone prescribing them to me in future.

The EFAs work right away if they are going to, but I would give such a regimen about a month for a fair test.  Some things that have worked against inflammation for me include wheatgrass juice–4-6oz three days in a row, and the 3 day apple monodiet.

Perhaps I did not evaluate MSM properly, since I did not take a large enough dosage and I have also tried Indian frankinsence (forgot common name now) with only minor results.

HEALTH,
    John

tbird2340
    Participant

So fishoil = EFA? How much is recommended to treat RA like inflammation?

A Friend
    Participant

Lynds,

Don't know if these items have been covered yet under any other links, but there are a few we don't usually see as the cause of elevated triglycerides. 

http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/causes_high_triglycerides_template.htm
    Be sure to go down to:  High Triglycerides: Multiple Conditions and Associated Causes. 

Anther link:
    http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-cause
    Some additional causes of high triglycerides besides the usual causes such as sugar, starches….. 

jaminhealth
    Participant

We're talking Omega 3's and not 6-9's which cause inflammation.  I only take 2000 mg of Omega 3's now.  Should I take more?   I  just pendulum dowsed on the dosing and I got that  I need to take 6000 mg per day.

I was taking the 3-6-9's and they really messed me up.  So I'm cautious now.  thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Research on anti-inflammatories’ is closed to new replies.