Home Forums General Discussion Repeated Antibiotic Use Alters Gut's Composition

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Maks
    Participant

ScienceDaily (Sep. 13, 2010) ? Repeated use of an antibiotic that is considered generally benign, because users seldom incur obvious side effects, induces cumulative and persistent changes in the composition of the beneficial microbial species inhabiting the human gut, researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine have found.

Read more : http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100913153628.htm

hopefulmama
    Participant

Thank you for posting, that is very interesting and may shed light upon how my gut has become so leaky over time.  I am thinking back over years and years of occasional antibiotic use, mainly for UTIs. 

Thank heaven for probiotics!

Bill
    Participant

This is why I bit the bullet, paid a little more and started using the ultra powerful and clinically proven vsl#3, the living shield as they call it. So powerful that it keeps about 85% of ulcerative colitis and chrones patients in remission. No small feat considering how severe and awful those diseases are. And yes there is increasingly more evidence that they are bacteriological in nature. Powerful pro biotics are not a luxury they are a necessity in my opinion.

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=1736]Maks[/user] wrote:

ScienceDaily (Sep. 13, 2010) ? Repeated use of an antibiotic that is considered generally benign,

This study is about Cipro, which as far as abx go, I would not consider 'benign'!  I consider it a 'big gun' – if they are treating you with Cipro, they think you have a serious infection.  They use it for anthrax, for example.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

[user=15]Bill[/user] wrote:

This is why I bit the bullet, paid a little more and started using the ultra powerful and clinically proven vsl#3, the living shield as they call it. So powerful that it keeps about 85% of ulcerative colitis and chrones patients in remission. No small feat considering how severe and awful those diseases are. And yes there is increasingly more evidence that they are bacteriological in nature. Powerful pro biotics are not a luxury they are a necessity in my opinion.

Bill-

What is vsl#3?

Jan

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

[user=1736]Maks[/user] wrote:

ScienceDaily (Sep. 13, 2010) ? Repeated use of an antibiotic that is considered generally benign, because users seldom incur obvious side effects, induces cumulative and persistent changes in the composition of the beneficial microbial species inhabiting the human gut, researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine have found.

Read more : http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100913153628.htm

This was funded by N.I.H. and the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.  I like to know who funds studies.

richie
    Participant

HI–Its a recent study of something that was known for quite awhile –that is exactly the reason for taking probiotics —

richie

Maks
    Participant

With taking probiotics the one issue is that they provide only a tiny part of a healthful adult microbiome.  A recent study surveyed the bacterial species in the human gut, and found there are over 1000 different bacteria species.

I doubt taking any type of probiotic supplement will cure any damage long term antibiotic treatment can create on the bacteria species. From my research there is one thing that could do it.

A ?fecal transplant? of a healthy person?s stool into the gut of another person will replenish the missing species. Not just 1 or 2 species but 100's at a time. This procedure could also be done at home.

This is something I'm investigating myself if I take the path of AP one day.

Bill
    Participant

Jan vsl#3 is a very  effective pro biotic  with pretty stunning results. 450 billion bacteria per dose. Available from pharmacies or sigma tau pharmaceutical. There are alot of good ones out there, this may be one of the very best.

Hope that helps and I do not believe every one on ap will permanently damage their flora. A lot of things come into play. I am aware of the of the “transplant” to heal c-diff and such. So I think Ap is well worth the chance of recovery particularly if such a benign but seemingly repulsive procedure as the 'f” transplant is available.

It should be noted the Cipro (the drug mentioned in the article) is widely known to wipe out all bacteria in the urinary tract and colon. It is a big, big gun in those areas and one has to be careful not to induce C-diff. Far different than pulsing low dose antibiotics while replacing flora and eating a diet conducive to beneficial bacteria. Or even taking higher doses of antibiotics that are not meant specifically to wipe out the flora such as Cipro. Cipro is normally used on a very limited basis.

Kim
    Participant

Here is a very interesting article on gut bacteria:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=269

Take care…..kim

richie
    Participant

Hi—Taking a probiotic will not treat gut problems –the reason for the probiotic is to prevent problems —my own personal experience bears this out –I take 200 mg daily of minocin for now 11 years –have never had any stomach issue –I dont have any dietary restrictions –eat just about anything I like —

This fecal transplant idea is one doctors theory- Dr T. Barody of down under –when he lectured here on Long Island NY -he was virtually laughed off the stage –I was there -he proposed using this for treating  colitis and c-diff —his antibiotic approach was met with much interest –his fecal approach was not —
    richie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Repeated Antibiotic Use Alters Gut's Composition’ is closed to new replies.