Home Forums General Discussion ? re;"Inflammation"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hopefull
    Participant

Hi all,I haven't posted in a while but read every day.I'm trying to rally all my
    energies ,once again,to push this disease they call “RA'” into the back seat…I have  new questions which I'll post singularly .
    I often hear the word” inflammation” as rather a separate entity to the RA itself.
    i.e one must “get the inflammation down” in order for the AP to work.This has
    sort of confused me at times.I always assumed that the inflammation is a systemic
    hallmark of the disease process itself…i.e if I was able to decrease the inflammation
    then ,in fact,decrease the disease activity.Isn't it all included in the rheumatoid can
    of worms?In an attempt at being succinct I hope I'm getting my ? across…I value
    any input as I'm about to start spending time and money again(did some of this
    yrs back,albeit limited) and need to start on the right foot,so to speak.
    More ?  as well but one at a time.Thanks so much,Kathy

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kathy – have you read The New Arthritis Breakthrough by Henry Scammell? The book covers pretty well everything you need to know as a foundation for this approach to treating rheumatoid disease. Additionally there is a great deal of information on our main site – to access this press Home above. Below is a link to one section that provides alot of information about treating the hypersensitive state, what happens when overmedication occurs and first steps to treatment, including reducing inflammation. Lynnie

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-14210

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=110]hopefull[/user] wrote:

I often hear the word” inflammation” as rather a separate entity to the RA itself.
    i.e one must “get the inflammation down” in order for the AP to work.This has
    sort of confused me at times.I always assumed that the inflammation is a systemic
    hallmark of the disease process itself…i.e if I was able to decrease the inflammation
    then ,in fact,decrease the disease activity.Isn't it all included in the rheumatoid can
    of worms?

Hi Kathy,

Nice to see you back, though I hope it is for a good reason and not that you are back in pain. Did you have any luck getting to any of the MA docs or getting IGeneX Lyme testing done?

Inflammation is a systemic hallmark of RA and you are not off-track there, at all. The million dollar question, though, is why the inflammation? Is it idiopathic inflammation or is it caused by some hidden, intracellular infectious organism(s)? As Lynnie, said above, it's important to really understand the material in the book to also understand the rationale for antibiotic therapy.

When we talk about decreasing inflammation around here, what is being described is to reduce it by using either some form of NSAID medication and/or by dietary, detoxing or other supportive measures. The reason it's important to get inflammation down is because the antibiotic cannot reach a joint effectively that is surrounded in swollen tissue. The swelling is a kind of antigenic blockade created by infections hidden deep within the tissues – a catch-22. So if swelling can be brought down and controlled, the antibiotic can get into those tissues better and work its magic, targeting those hidden infections more effectively. In these sorts of instances, Brown would use very small amounts of prednisone, like 5mg and no more than 10mg, to bring down inflammation, especially when the therapy was started, so that early worsening would not prevent the antibiotic from reaching full effect and getting into the joints.

If I'm understanding your questions okay, hope that helps a little?

Welcome back, Kathy!

Peace, Maz

hopefull
    Participant

Thanks so much for replies/clarification.
    Maz,you remembered me:).All this time I haven't made any contact with
    and AP Dr. etc mostly due to lack of money to support the out of pocket expense.
    I'm now ready to pursue this.I plan on starting with the Igenex testing and have
    a list of other tests that I'd like as well .I'm tired of shooting in the dark.

Here's a general ? for anyone that might have some insight.The RA symptoms
    that I have typically have a pattern(took me a while to notice this).When I wake up
    in am my body is “quiet”… by about 9;30 am I start getting body wide burning
    and joint ache/pain.This all gets hotter and hotter and by 11am I feel awful.Sick,hot
    and in pain.I get a short reprieve(on a good day) until about 2:30pm then my body starts ramping up with the same scenario.The latter lasts into the evening and I typically feel worse the later it gets.In short…late am and late day = trouble.
    Does this pattern sound specific to RA for anyone?In the earlier yrs I would awaken
    with all these issues which is much more common pattern for RA.Over an 8 yr period
    of having “RA”things have morphed into different syndromes i.e I now have alot
    of Fibromyalgia symptoms as well.I'm still on biologics with a limited effect.I've
    been on almost all of them.Thus the quest for some searching.
    Didn't mean to ramble on …really curious about the daily “spikes” that I have
    and what it may or could represent…Thanks all for listening.Take care,Kathy

eann
    Participant

RA pain and stiffness is usually worse in the morning. It takes RA sufferers time to get their body moving.

When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I was better in the morning and then wiped out and really painful in the afternoon. A nap would improve things.

Then I got to where I was in serious pain and fatigue all the time with very little relief. Still am that way, but I was just diagnosed with Lyme. The body wide, burning pain sounds like the type of pain that I experience. Glad you are getting tested for Lyme. It might be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Hope you find some help. That kind of pain is exhausting.

Sincerely, Ann

Maz
    Keymaster

Kathy, Ann…kind of nice to know that you two connected, as if I'm remembering rightly, Kathy, you're an RN, too? 🙂 Forgive me if I got that part wrong, but I do remember you, Kathy. Just sorry you're in so much pain.

Yes, what you described with spiking periods during the day was a lot like what I experienced, too, especially in my first year. Mornings, late afternoons and evenings were worst for me. :crying: For some reason, though, evenings were the worst. My thyroid was also in a mess that first year and I wonder if that was something to do with it all, too. The bodywide burning was incredible…even my skin burned.

Kathy, if you're planning on getting your Lyme tests run thru IGeneX, first, then this will help to decide which route to take with docs…that is, an AP or Lyme doc. They treat differently, so it's a good idea to figure it out early, as Ann has just done. Do you have a GP who will sign off on the labs and maybe start you on minocycline in the meantime? If you need help figuring out how to go about the IGeneX testing, let us know.

Peace, Maz

brjovo
    Participant

Hi, new to this site.  I've had Lyme or rd ???? since 91 with chemical sensitivies and wasn't able to work intill I came across Kombucha.  It is a tea drink brewed with a bacteria and yeast.  Costs maybe $5 a week to make. It kills inflamation!  Supposed to ward off cancer, has B vits, Dlactic acid.  I can't exist without it.  The Chinese had it 2000 bc.  The first days I tried it, it felt as if weight had been lifted from my shoulders.  You can google it or a good website is Laurel Farms which is where I got this site.  To start you need a starter mushroom.  other than antibiotics it's the cheapest with the best results.  Nothing yet for the CS unfortunately.  Take Care, Bruce:doh:

hopefull
    Participant

Ann,Thanks for your reply.Yes, the body wide burning stinks.Today my feet
    were burning.I've had this issue for years now,even before the Fibro kicked in.
    I will get the Igenex done ,altho I get a little skeptical at times of the emphasis
    on Lyme Disease…maybe I've just gotten sceptical in general after so many
    years of being sick.To think I took care of others for a living…seems so far away now.
    Thanks again,Kathy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ ? re;"Inflammation"’ is closed to new replies.