Home Forums General Discussion Reducing acid foods.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Davit
    Participant

Better to laugh than cry. I hate tears in my tea and they just make the sandwich soggy.

I haven't been as lucky as some having come late to AP. But I'm still here and I can still walk, something I wouldn't be doing otherwise. I may joke a bit but the one thing I am very serious about is AP. I want to be an example of what happens If you wait to long. If that is all I do with the rest of my life I will have accomplished something good even with my disability.

I wish you could all come and sit in my garden and share the fruits of my labour.

Never give up. And it is so true that there is always someone worse off. And when you think you can't take another step there is always the EXLAX cure.

A pleasant day to all of you.

Davit.

PhilC
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

PhilC

Calcium binds to Iron and the two get wasted. No calcium with Iron bearing foods. 6 months in the Hospital and I was given my calcium with meals. I left there so anemic that I was passing out. I'm into my seventh month now on Iron pills and I'm almost back to acceptable. I prefer to take my calcium with yoguort or cheese if I am going to take it with food.

Hi Davit,

In that case, it makes sense to take them separately. The calcium and iron don't bind together, though. Calcium partially inhibits the absorption of iron in the gastrointestinal lumen. However, the results of some recent studies cast some doubt over whether the effect is large enough to worry about:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16002806
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277162
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12455225

Of course, it may still be prudent for iron-deficient people to take their iron and calcium supplements with separate meals.

Although it may not have helped, you almost certainly didn't develop anemia from taking calcium with your meals. There must have been another reason. Did your doctor(s) make any attempt to figure out why you became anemic? For example, did they check you for gastrointestinal bleeding?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

A Friend
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

Calcium binds to Iron and the two get wasted. No calcium with Iron bearing foods. 6 months in the Hospital and I was given my calcium with meals. I left there so anemic that I was passing out. I'm into my seventh month now on Iron pills and I'm almost back to acceptable. I prefer to take my calcium with yoguort or cheese if I am going to take it with food.

Can't stop the prednisone. I don't produce much cortisone on my own. I did at one time get a bunch of one mg pills and tried to wean off it. Well actually I tried a few times. No such luck. Tired of going to the Hospital when I get a full body flare. All they do is shoot me up with Hydrocortisone and send me limping home. Prednisone gets blamed for all my problems. Like poor healing. Turns out I'm zinc deficient. Take zinc and I heal normal.

Davit.

Davit,

The following may be important about your anemia…  And if you are taking iron, it could be adding to your organisms/inflammation problems.  Dr. Leo Galland is one of my heroes, and have listed some of his info and other links below I've saved in my files. 

AF

[Edit:  I read your comment about Zinc, right after I clicked to post my msg.  From just reading a bit from Dr. Galland, he mentioned zinc deficiency figured into the native people in the excerpt #2 below… sounds like you are on to something here!!! af]

Subject: Anemia… Dr. Galland's iron cautions. Helpful: Floradix Iron and Molasses links

Suggest the following would be good for all to know about — if not for ourselves, for others that may need to know it. 

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Column.asp?Id=68
    Dangers of Iron Supplements by Leo Galland, MD, FACN

[These are two excerpts from Dr. Leo Galland's link just above — but he has written much more in this article that may be helpful to the reader. AF]

Excerpt #1 from Dr. Galland:
    The best known effect of iron deficiency is anemia, which is the name given to a state in which the number of red blood cells is lower than normal. Anemia is not the same as iron deficiency, however. There are many different causes of anemia, which include folic acid deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, disorders of the bone marrow and conditions which increase the rate at which red blood cells are broken down in the spleen. Iron deficiency, when mild, may not produce anemia but may still cause fatigue, immune defects or fungal infections of skin. There are probably twenty million people in the U.S. who are iron deficient and half of them are not anemic.

Excerpt #2 from Dr. Galland:
    It is unfortunate that most commercial iron pills contain sixty to three hundred milligrams of iron, far more than are needed or than can even be absorbed from a single pill. High dose iron supplements, taken orally or by injection, increase susceptibility to bacterial infection. Studies in southeast Asia and in Africa demonstrate that even low-dose iron can be harmful. When Indonesian school children who are not iron deficient take iron pills, they fail to grow normally. When iron supplements are given to Somali nomads or Masai tribes-man, their rate of infection increases, even though their iron deficiency is corrected. The high frequency of negative responses to iron supplements in Africa and Asia may reflect the interaction between iron and zinc.

Other links to be aware of:

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/r64771.asp
    Floradix iron supplement

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=118
    Blackstrap Molasses — open, then read about health benefits of this. 

Davit
    Participant

PhilC

Yes. There is no blood loss. I believe some where in scripture it is written in rules to live by, “Do not boil a kid in it's mothers milk”. Or something to that effect. In other words do not mix milk and meat, Calcium and Iron. People used to be pretty illiterate and needed sayings to remember things. There are lots of these silly sayings that are now starting to make sense. And of course there are those that are just ramblings. But some were for good reason. Like us catholics eating fish on Friday. Only it should probably be more days.

When dealing with the internet, if I can't find back up for something in at least three other unasociated places then I tend to take it with a grain of salt.

MTX is a good example. The only ones saying it works are not the people using it.

I also question every thing especially things that work.

I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, quite often for periods of six months or more at a time, and this last one is the only time I insisted on taking calcium. And it is the only time I became anemic. I am not normally anemic.
    Also I was taking three to four grams of calcium. I am taking less now.

Calcium is a base doesn't stomach acid neutralize it?

Davit.

APbeliever
    Participant

Hi guys, I don't have any arthritis pain in the mornings anymore thanks to baking soda treatment. I only use half a spoon of baking soda on alternate days. However, I do wake up with cold sweats around 2~3 am every night with pain in my shoulder, knees, hands and feet. I am using just NAC once a day, one pill of boswellia instead of the 3 suggested and one  250 mgs magnesium tablet. In the daytime, I am running around with no carpal tunnel in my wrists and fingers. It is all due to AF and her baking soda treatment. I tried so many things before including all those listed above except baking soda and I was always waking up in the morning with pains and stiffness. I am not using any antibiotic treatment anymore. Two rheumys I went to told me recently that you do not have rheumatoid arthritis(never had it). I showed them thier own notes that they wrote I had RA . :blush:

My wife with AI eczema disease is using Magnesium and her skin is smooth now and she has no more itching. Her dermatologists and PCP who used to prescribe those nasty steroids and steroid creams are all amazed at Magnesium supplement treatment.

Davit
    Participant

AF

Very interesting! Amazing how when one thing goes wrong how many other things join in.

Davit.

Davit
    Participant

APbeliever.

I have a friend that swears by baking soda for Candida. Stands to reason, I make wine and it needs acid to grow.

Davit.

Davit
    Participant

AF

I have used Floradix but can't remember why I stopped, I looked at the ingrediences and there is nothing in it that I can't have.

I use molasses in all my baking. I make an especially nice multigrain bread which I eat very little of because it is fattening and raises my blood pressure.

Do you remember spring tonics. I especially remember sulphur and mollasses.

Davit

Davit
    Participant

PhilC

There studies are not comparative I am a 59 year old man in poor health taking over 6 times as much calcium as this 16 year old girl. I was also taking it with all meals not just the one.

Thank you for the information but I think this still needs more study.

Davit.

A Friend
    Participant

Davit,

You wrote:  Do you remember spring tonics. I especially remember sulphur and mollasses.

Davit, I'm happy to say I don't remember those, but certainly have heard some family members complaining about them… even my husband who is a few years my senior. 

My mother was a sickly child (she told me) and hated medicine.  Guess that's the reason she took pity on me. 

By the way, I absolutely have the greatest respect for Flora products.  The Flora brand Flaxseed Oil is the only one I've used (for about the past 12 years).  Also, they make Floressence (sp?) brand liquid that can be made into a tea and is so excellent for the liver, etc.  In 2000, when the bad bone  and liver scans, etc., were reported as the big CA, my AP MD/Holistic MD immediately had me begin on several holistics such as this.  I read a lot about  its formulation and history, and the nurse being from Canada, I believe.  I didn't realize until today that Flora seems to be home-based in Canada!!!  I knew I loved Canada! 

AF

A Friend
    Participant

APbeliever,

It's so good to hear from you again, and to hear of the further progress you and your wife have made…. awesome. 

Have you also added extra magnesium and other good things (B vitamins, probiotics, good fiber, etc.) to replenish your body's depleted minerals, etc.  Also, I've been made a believer that we need to make sure we include several of the best antioxidants to protect us from free radicals/acidic waste die-off.

Give my best to your wife. 

:dude:   AF

A Friend
    Participant

Davit,

In late 2006 or early 2007, when I first discovered my horrible 5.0 to 5.5 pH, I immediately quit drinking coffee, because it was said to leech out our minerals.   

I'd read about the high mineral content of blackstrap (organic) molasses, but I knew I needed to use it sparingly if I used it, because of my predisposition to yeast overgrowth. (If everyone reads about it, its benefits for 1 tablespoon is awesome.)  I found that if I put one (1) tablespoon of the blackstrap molasses in a cup, and poured boiling water over it, and then poured a little milk (or almond milk, which I really like), no more sweetener was needed, and this tasted just like coffee and was delicious… a good way to have a great coffee substitute and get minerals, too.  (I don't drink cow's milk or any milk, but do eat yogurt with flaxseed oil, and also use butter). 

AF

Davit
    Participant

AF

I have made coffee from dried and fried Dandylion root. It is supposed to be good for Arthritis but I don't know why. It is real easy to make but the roots should be a few years old so they have size.

Davit.

APbeliever
    Participant

It's so good to hear from you again, and to hear of the further progress you and your wife have made…. awesome. 

Have you also added extra magnesium and other good things (B vitamins, probiotics, good fiber, etc.) to replenish your body's depleted minerals, etc.  Also, I've been made a believer that we need to make sure we include several of the best antioxidants to protect us from free radicals/acidic waste die-off.

Give my best to your wife. 

250 mgs tablet of Magnesium is enough for both me and my wife for now. Taking Vitamin B complex, probiotics and Carlson's lemon flavor Omega 3 fish oil(antinflammatory). I tried quitting baking soda just for three days and pain and fatigue came back with a vengeance. Would never try that again. 

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ Reducing acid foods.’ is closed to new replies.