Home Forums General Discussion RE: stomach problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Well I am wondering if no one else has been bothered with the minocin hurting their stomach. I have not had any replys to my previous post. I have been on the minocin for about 5 weeks now and it has done wonders for my soreness from the RA. I am down to 2 mg of predisone and off the arava. BUT- my stomach hurts most of the time. I guess I have to swap one problem for the other.

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi Judy,

Sorry you haven’t had any replies πŸ™ I started AP about seven weeks ago and although I haven’t had a remarkable change for the better, YET, neither have I had any tummy problems. This may be because I take a stomach protector for my other meds. I have had a quick google and it would seem that there are people who do have the same problem as you. What they suggested was – make sure you take it with lots of water, if you are taking it on an empty stomach (which I do and is recommended) then perhaps a small cracker with it to see if that helps and make sure you stay upright for an hour after taking it.

Happy to hear it is helping so well though. I guess if you continue experiencing these problems then doxy may be the way to go. Hope you get some more help from other APers πŸ˜‰

Patricia x

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Often people find mino can make them a bit nauseous but that is different to stomach pain which seems to be what you are describing. You might try using the search function on the front page of General Discussion area and type in ‘stomach pain’ to see other posts about this. If you are taking any NSAIDS this could also be a cause of stomach pain or upset. Patricia Ann makes good sense with her recommendations. Even with food, you will absorb 85% of the medication and, if your stomach feels better that way, this is probably a good option for you. You should also ensure you are taking a really good probiotic. Again, the search function will bring up posts from others re what they are taking and have found good. Hope your stomach settles down soon.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Hi Judy. When I started minocycline I started plaquenil and celebrex about the same time (over 4 years ago now). All 3 of those medicines can be hard on your stomach, and I felt sick to my stomach most of the time — it was hard to eat, much less swallow all the medications and supplements I was also taking.

But over time it got better. I got more used to it, and as I started to feel better I didn’t need the celebrex much anymore, and also began to cut back the plaquenil. Within 3 or 4 months I my stomach was really ok.

I still take plaquenil, but only once/week. And I am still on mino, only MWF. Hopefully, over time, you will adjust as well. Good luck.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Krys
    Participant

Hi Judy,
    I had stomach pain (slight) and nausea with doxy for the first 2 months. An RBF member, Phil, suggested taking it with rice, but first really rinsing it well to rinse off possible minerals added to it (in case it is “enriched” rice) and cooking it with no salt. The problem completely resolved around that time, so I have not tried how it would help.
    I hope taking it with some food (cracker or rice) will help you.
    Warm wishes, Krys

fastspinW
    Participant

When I first began taking minocin 6 years ago it made me feel terribly nauseous. For a time I considered stopping it, in fact, as I felt so rotten. When I mentioned all this to my pharmacist he replied, “Take it with your meals for a few weeks and you will be fine.” When I replied that I thought you were supposed to take it on an empty stomach he said, “That may be, but if you can’t tolerate it on an empty stomach you are better off taking it with food rather than having to discontinue its use. And chances are that a few weeks from now you’ll be able to take it as instructed without any problem.”

It worked for me, give it a try and see if it works for you.

All best,
    Winston

Judy I just cannot take either Doxy or minocycling without a small cup of milk. I know most will be against this as you lose the full effect, however you can easily overcome that problem by taking and extra 50mg. or whatever. in fact my meds suggest you do take it with milk. It is dangerous to get stomoch problems especially when it is not an option for you to give up on your meds.
    If that does not fix it you could have gastritis because of the irritation or some other med you are taking. You probably need to check that out with your Doc., even be tested for helicobactor pylori if it keeps up just to be on the safe side.

I do appreciate the people that have responded to my post. I have been taking the mino with some food and think my stomach is better. Sometimes I slip in a dose on an empty stomach just to make sure that I get the continued benefit. My soreness is almost gone. I have taken Minocin in the past, about 10 years ago, when I first found out that I had RA and it worked wonders for about 2 years. However my liver emzymes began to go up and I went off it. Then was pain free for about another 2 years before the soreness and swelling came back. Right now I am down to 1 mg of predsione and will try to go off it completely this next week. I have had some bloodwork done but have not heard from the results yet. I just pray that my liver doesnt act up. I am taking milk thistle so maybe it will be ok.
    Thanks again to the response by everyone.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Judy – Milk Thistle could be a good thing to take to protect your liver. Also the whole lemon/olive oil drink is a great way to detoxify the liver. Here is the link to the Keep Hope Alive site where it was first published. It gives both the recipe and the rationale for the drink.

http://www.keephopealive.org/lemondrk.html

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Judy,

You might want to read this message that I posted earlier today:
    viewtopic.php?p=57782#p57782

To sum it up, food has little or no effect on the absorption of minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

I too have had problems with minocin taken on an empty stomach and eating one hour after and then … now after more than two weeks of break I still have problems πŸ™„

Valsmum
    Participant

Sometimes weaning off of prednisone makes my stomach hurt, especially if you have been on it for awhile. Is it a burning feeling or a cramping feeling in you stomach?

PhilC
    Participant

@flower wrote:

I too have had problems with minocin taken on an empty stomach and eating one hour after and then … now after more than two weeks of break I still have problems πŸ™„

I almost always take minocycline with food. The only times I don’t take it with food are when I’ve eaten a very big meal two hours earlier. For a long time I used rice (preferably parboiled) for this purpose. When I was taking doxycycline I also used pretzels or sometimes applesauce. Now I just swallow the minocycline with some water, followed by a capsule of fish oil. Then I eat two pieces of whole wheat toast. After that I drink the rest of the water. I really should drink all of the water first, though, since that would be safer.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@Valsmum wrote:

Sometimes weaning off of prednisone makes my stomach hurt, especially if you have been on it for awhile. Is it a burning feeling or a cramping feeling in you stomach?

‘s

Hi Valsmum

I don’t take prednisone…

It’s burnig feeling in my stomach not cramping πŸ˜₯

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@flower wrote:

I almost always take minocycline with food. The only times I don’t take it with food are when I’ve eaten a very big meal two hours earlier. For a long time I used rice (preferably parboiled) for this purpose. When I was taking doxycycline I also used pretzels or sometimes applesauce. Now I just swallow the minocycline with some water, followed by a capsule of fish oil. Then I eat two pieces of whole wheat toast. After that I drink the rest of the water. I really should drink all of the water first, though, since that would be safer.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I will also have to take minocin with food and the doctor advised me to take the early days gastroprotective two hours before taking the antibiotic … I’m waiting for the release pellet filled capsules :geek:

I’ll take minocin at breakfast with two / three gluten-free toast bread and almond milk πŸ˜•

Thanks to all for the suggestions πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.