Home Forums General Discussion Raynaud's and thyroid (hypothyroidism)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

Hi,

Recently I was stressed out to find out I have low function on my thyroid. This also triggers to a pre-diabetic condition —- meaning my fasting blood sugar is high. First I thought this could be part of the medicine I've been taking…. after several wonderful members pointed me to the directions, I read up a lot of information on thyroid.

One thing caught my attention is this link: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/140/6/832  Of course, people with autoimmune disease could also have lower thyroid function.

We describe a patient with panhypopituitarism whose only clinical symptoms were related to Raynaud's phenomenon. Previously described patients with Raynaud's phenomenon due to hypothyroidism had Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease associated with multisystem autoimmune disorders. The occurrence of Raynaud's phenomenon in hypothyroidism without thyroiditis and its prompt disappearance with thyroid replacement therapy demonstrate that decreased thyroid function per se is a cause of this vasospastic syndrome. Raynaud's phenomenon may be an early clue to the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.  ([font=”verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif”][/font]980)”[/size]

I really hope I can get my thyroid problem under the control, perhaps my blood sugar, my joints and muscle pain AS WELL as my Raynaud's will get greatly improved. This would be a prayer answered.

I HATE RAYNUAD'S!!!! I HATE RAYNAUD'S!!!

I HATE RAYNAUD'S!!!!:headbang:

JBJBJB
    Participant

Here is another story:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1560191

“A 50-year-old man is described who had a 15-year history of Raynaud's phenomenon with severe and frequent vasospastic attacks in his fingers and toes during the past years. Exacerbation of his digital symptoms, which started about 4 years ago, was accompanied by signs of thyroid deficiency, such as tiredness, memory impairment, decreased libido, constipation, dryness of skin and bradycardia. Hormonal evaluation revealed primary hypothyroidism and the patient began substitution therapy with L-thyroxine. After 2 months of treatment not only did he become euthyroid but the digital symptoms also disappeared. The patient may thus represent one of the very few cases whose thyroid replacement therapy proved to be highly effective in treating both hypothyroidism and Raynaud's phenomenon.”

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi JB< I have a book on thyroid problems and I know it talks about Raynauds being caused by low thyroid function.  From my own experience, my temperature has been low all of my life.  I am on Armour Thyroid and have been for about 8 years.  I still have the Raynauds.  It did not decrease the symptoms whatsoever.  I also know that I'm more into a Secondary Raynauds which not only affects the fingers and toes, but all over.  My arms and legs burn.  My nose and ears are often cold.  It gets much worse during change of seasons, especially going into fall and winter.  I don't mean to kill your hopes here, but from my own experience, it did not get rid of the Raynauds.  I do take Verapamil 2 x a day and will up that to 3 x a day in the winter.  That helps me to feel more comfortable.  I have been sleeping on a heated mattress pad for about 15 years.  I have to have the warmth or I won't sleep.  Even in the summer I have to have my legs warm and covered.  When I'm really challenged with more severe coldness, I add the Heparin shots.  Currently, I am not on the Heparin.  If you try the thyroid meds and notice improvement….that will be wonderful.  If you do not, there are still other options for you to try.  Supplements help like the Lumbrokinase.  Drinking a little wine helps too. Hugs, Diane/WI    

JBJBJB
    Participant

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Goodwife
    Participant

JB,

My hubby still has raynauds on a regular basis, and sometime in 2007 I pressed his doc to  run every type of thyroid test he could, and (begrudgingly!) he did and all came back normal.  So for my hubby's case, I don't find any link with his thyroid.  But because people can have the primary raynauds or secondary, maybe the ones with the primary have a link with thyroid.  Don't know. 

JBJBJB
    Participant

I guess I found this site has answered my question. I am wondering if all my MCTD symptoms are related with hypothyroidism. However, if it's caused by thyroid problem, the ANA should be normal, right? My ANA wasn't.
    However, all the Lupus, and Scleroderma tests have been normal. Perhaps I just have some thyroid induced arthritis.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/AN00069/rss=1
    Hypothyroidism: Does it cause joint pain?

Answer

The signs and symptoms of underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) vary widely, depending on the severity of the hormone deficiency. For some people, low levels of thyroid hormone contribute to joint and muscle problems.

Specifically, hypothyroidism may lead to:

• Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, especially in the shoulders and hips [/*:zyv304ef]
    • Joint pain and stiffness [/*:zyv304ef]
    • Swelling of the knee joint and small joints in the hands and feet [/*:zyv304ef]
    • Carpal tunnel syndrome

[/*]
    Treatment of these joint and muscle problems is often directed at the underlying thyroid disorder. Thyroid hormone treatment often helps dramatically. Pain relievers may help, too.

Keep in mind that hypothyroidism can increase your risk of developing other autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis. If pain, stiffness and swelling don't improve after adequate thyroid treatment, consult your doctor. He or she may consider other possible causes of your joint pain.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Raynaud's and thyroid (hypothyroidism)’ is closed to new replies.