Home Forums General Discussion Questions about nutrition and eating

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, I believe with all my heart and soul that disease begins in the gut. For me, my gut was damaged early by yearly antibiotics required because of strep throats. No one knew to heal my gut after the antibiotic damage and so I went undiagnosed for 30-40 years until R.A. struck. I had lots of lesser ills my entire life and believe today they all stemmed from the damaged gut.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Susan – am sure that’s true of a number of people………not least because of the very poor Western diet these days. Good to hear from you and hope you are doing well

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

marg
    Participant

HI Mat,
    The CBC news page on the web today has an article about food allergies and an alert about testing. Some of the comments following the article are interesting too.
    For me, the best advice was “pay attention to your body”, suggesting cutting out all suspected food and adding it back in very slowly , one food at a time, taking note of your reactions.
    Anyway, have a look.
    marg

matv
    Participant

Thanks marg, I’ll definitely take a look at the article.

For anyone interested, here is a link to the article.

cavalier
    Participant

Getting down finally to the T cell level of understanding the why & how these links were sent to me by the maker of Scler-oeze, with nothing in it for him, but to help. Need to watch out for Proline rich foods for folks who have SD( I didn’t realize how many foods that covers I was reading on the net lists of Proline rich foods – chicken etc. Anyways i thought this 1st link ties in well with this discussion here as well as the 2nd link. Best – Jill

http://www.med.uio.no/cir/english/research/subjects/coeliac-disease/index.html

This 2nd link is short &sweet, says alot of how gluten & diet plays into T cell suppression – leading to various diseases due to immune dysregulation opening the door for bacteria viral infections. Marriage of genetic suspectibility combined with enviro- you gotta love it !
    http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/02/secrets-of-ancient-chinese-remedy-revealed/

http://www.examiner.com/autoimmune-disease-in-national/an-interview-with-a-sleroderma-patient-an-herb-gave-him-his-life-back

Kathy1465
    Participant

Hi

I am only a newbie to all this myself, but I will share with you what I have learned over these past seven months. The addition of Minocycline has been AMAZING in helping me feel better. I have RA and was very close to being placed on a biologic only a few short months after my diagnosis, which happened last May. After six months on Minocycline I was feeling much better, but not all the way there and not yet in remission. So I sought help from an integrative medicine doctor. He ran blood work to test for food allergies. I was VERY surprised to find that I have many! Wheat, dairy, eggs, to name a few. I should also mention scratch tests for food allergies performed a year ago (with a different doctor) revealed NO food allergies. The integrative doctor was insistent that the blood test for food allergies was superior to the scratch test. The me challenged me to simply give up those foods I was sensitive to for two weeks and if it didn’t work, I could always go back to eating pizza and pasta. So I figured after all I have seen from from others posting about how important diet is, I would just give it a try, with no real hope it would do much of anything to make me feel better. I am a HUGE skeptic. But I have to say, best thing I ever did! I feel soooo much better. Much less inflammation and pain. This is no placebo effect. My wedding ring now fits on my finger again and my hip isn’t on fire all day! I would never have believed how helpful this would be for me if I hadn’t done it for myself. I love cheese and pasta more than chocolate. But after just a few weeks I noticed a big difference by avoiding these foods. I am learning each day about eating better. It is a work in progress. My favorite app now is the Cooking Light app for my iPhone. We eat like kings on their recipes. I do not feel like I am missing out on things, more just making small adjustments and modifications.

I would challenge you to give it a trya. Only then will you know if this is something that can work for you. As my doctor said, you can do anything for a few weeks.

Wishing you all the best!

Kathy

jaminhealth
    Participant

Kathy, glad to hear the Mino is helping a lot.

I have a separate post on keeping the body Alkaline….pastas, breads all that stuff is not the best for our bodies….once in a while, but steady, nope.

Fresh fruits and veggies, organic if possible, and I eat small portions of beef and chicken, clean as can be.

inmagic
    Participant

Gluten free can still be yummy!!! Quinoa pasta takes longer to cook but the texture and flavor is outstanding, The hard part about eating pasta on an anti-inflammatory diet is cutting out the nightshades. Here is one sample of a super yummy way to eat pasta that is very good for you!

Quinoa pasta
    1 ripe avacado
    a cup of fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    4 big cloves of garlic
    fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper
    When the pasta is almost done cooking, place all of the other ingredients in a food processor. Process on ‘pulse’ until small chunks of avacado and garlic remain, you might need to add more olive oil for the desired consistency—toss with cooked pasta.

Eat with gluten free bread – I haven’t mastered that yet but it is available in health food stores.
    If fresh basil is not available use jarred pesto in the place of the fresh basil and garlic…this is even more quick and easy.

inmagic
    Participant

Gluten free can still be yummy!!! Quinoa pasta takes longer to cook but the texture and flavor is outstanding, The hard part about eating pasta on an anti-inflammatory diet is cutting out the nightshades. Here is one sample of a super yummy way to eat pasta that is very good for you!

Quinoa pasta
    1 ripe avacado
    a cup of fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    4 big cloves of garlic
    fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper
    When the pasta is almost done cooking, place all of the other ingredients in a food processor. Process on ‘pulse’ until small chunks of avacado and garlic remain, you might need to add more olive oil for the desired consistency—toss with cooked pasta.

Eat with gluten free bread – I haven’t mastered that yet but it is available in health food stores.
    If fresh basil is not available use jarred pesto in the place of the fresh basil and garlic…this is even more quick and easy.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.