Home Forums General Discussion Questions about nutrition and eating

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    matv
    Participant

Hi, everyone.

I’ve read some publications about antibiotic protocol therapy being useless unless you eat properly. For someone who lives in the house I do, that can be a near impossibility. I come from a family of people who have no will power, and a mother who is dangerously type two diabetic, but still eats “what she wants” and sees eating properly as a “health kick”. It’s also hard as she only buys brand names, goes for the quick fix, and doesn’t buy things that are necessarily good for you. “Look, it’s gluten free!” “I appreciate that mom, but look at all that sugar.” She has gotten better as she reads the nutritional labels and goes by daily percentages and such, but she still will buy potato chips and dangerously high sugar snacks (which my father will eat as he has no will power)

I realize I’m only venting about family life, and soon I will be on my own again so I will be forced to eat what only I buy, but that’s what I’m confused about.

I see a lot of people going gluten free on these forums. Dairyless, sugarless, starchless, nightshadeless diets are what mostly everyone’s doing.

My question is, how do you enjoy your meals? One could argue that if you’re eating like this, that there are very few things left to enjoy with your meals. (I am Italian, imagine my heart break when I found eating even whole wheat pasta made my skin have a burning sensation) I’ve also noticed increased hunger. Like crazy increased hunger. Maybe it’s because I dropped 30 pounds in the past 5 months, but my body is going crazy trying to regain lost nutrients.

I know Dr. Mercola has a dietary plan that one could follow, it’s a great start but this also seems extremely limiting.

This will definitely be a challenge.

jlynne
    Participant

I know what you are saying about diet! Believe me, I had the worst diet in the world. Nothing but junk and soda. I didn’t even drink water.

First thing I did was cut out all sugary drinks. Once I got through that withdrawl from caffeine and sugar, I started with dairy by replacing milk with soy milk and soy cheese. I really do like the soy milk. I get Silk organic unsweetened and I’m very happy with it.

Bread and gluten were a little harder for me but I noticed once a couple of weeks passed, I felt better and my inflammation was not as bad. I eat a lot of chicken, gluten free soups, cereal and oats. Gluten free pasta! Yum! Lots of fruits and veggies. If I can do this, anyone can.

I only drink water and soy milk. That’s it. I’ve been tempted by soda but have resisted.

Take it day by day, one food source at a time. If I would have did it all at one time, I would have been crazy!

Good luck to you!

marg
    Participant

HI Mat,
    Wow, I really give you credit for taking charge of what you think will help you! Not easy to break life-long habits, for sure.
    My daughter had /has RA and is in remission after taking Minocin ( which she still does on a maintenance dose). She did not cut anything out of her diet- though she was a pretty healthy eater – but chips etc. were in there at times, LOL.

There’s no doubt that strengthening your immune system with good food is helpful with AP. Then your body can fight the invaders the way it’s meant to! BUT… don’t stress over it, that’s hard on your body too. Start as jlyyne suggests with the worst offender and go from there, not too fast. When life is tough, food can be one pleasure- but I think you’ll learn to enjoy good nutrition!!

I’m excited to hear your resolve coming through in your posts. You’re on your way!
    marg

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Mathew,
    @matv wrote:

I see a lot of people going gluten free on these forums. Dairyless, sugarless, starchless, nightshadeless diets are what mostly everyone’s doing.

Everyone is different, so you may or may not have to exclude all of those. In my case, starch does not seem to bother me, unless it is corn starch or potato starch. And gluten also does not seem to be an issue for me. So you may not need to exclude all of those foods. But if in doubt, leave it out. A year or two from now, when you are feeling great, you can cautiously add back one food at a time and see how you react.

@matv wrote:

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

matv
    Participant

Jlynne, I love that idea. Move slow and cut it out one at a time. Will do. I switched to soy a long while ago but now I drink unsweetened almond milk. Your other ideas rock too:)

Thanks marg, yes i’m coming a long way:) I hope this topic helps others as I can’t be the only one struggling with this topic.
    Your suggestions are helpful too thanks! πŸ™‚

@PhilC wrote:

@matv wrote:

I take teva-doxycycline, I’m also trying to take it on an empty stomach, maybe coupling it with only bromelain and serratiopeptidase..but if I am starving, what’s a good food to eat with taking this medication? (Today I ate quinoa, I hope that didn’t cause a problem). I know Calcium and Iron are both two things to avoid while taking it.

Are you saying that you are taking doxycycline with bromelain and serratiopeptidase? Doxycycline should not be taken with either of those, especially bromelain.

I take my doxy with white rice (thoroughly rinsed before cooking). Brown rice would be better, but it costs more and takes longer to cook. Eventually I will switch to brown rice; until then, I add two heaping spoonfuls of oat bran to the white rice before cooking to increase the fiber content.

Quinoa is high in iron, so it is not an ideal food for this particular purpose. I doubt that taking your doxy with quinoa once caused any problems; nevertheless, I would choose a food with a lower mineral content to take your doxy with. Brown rice would be a good choice (unless you’re trying to avoid all starch).

Phil

Good to know, im sure quinoa is good to eat just not near the antibiotic I guess?

I’ve heard of so many taking those enzymes 30mins before taking the antibiotics, so long as it’s on an empty stomach. You’re saying it’s bad? I thought it was supposed to cut biofilm and such..? Possibly because of the herxing is why it’s bad I assume?

I had already taken my serratiopeptidase and doxy before I read your response. It did make me feel weird, I think I was herxing overnight as I ended waking up without the shirt I wore while going to sleep! I must have been sweating.

EDIT: fixing some mistakes made by my silly cellphone auto-correct.

crowchez
    Participant

Hi Mathew,

I don’t know if you’ve looked into any of the paleo/primal eating plans, but they certainly are anti-inflammatory. The only caveat is if you’re trying to eliminate starches you have to be a little more restrictive (since even spices can have starch). But this way of eating is anything but boring or tasteless. And the http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz1p0XQAo00 Primal plan especially has a very positive, healthy approach to life in general (including exercise) that I find I need. After reading so much about illness, it’s very refreshing to read about health. πŸ˜€

PS NAYY – there’s a lot for sale on that site but everything you need, including recipes, is free on the site. There are also lots of blogs out there where people post recipes & they are AWESOME.

Deirdre

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Mat,
    @matv wrote:

I’ve heard of so many taking those enzymes 30mins before taking the antibiotics, so long as it’s on an empty stomach. You’re saying it’s bad? I thought it was supposed to cut billion and such..? Possibly because of the herxing is why it’s bad I assume?

Actually, I am not sure about serrapeptase, but bromelain apparently increases the absorption of doxycycline. That may sound like a good thing, and maybe it is. However, since all the bromelain I have bought has a warning about it, I have assumed that it is best avoided.

From my bottle of bromelain:

CAUTION: If you are taking anti-coagulant or anti-platelet medications, or have a bleeding disorder, consult your healthcare provider before taking this product. Bromelain may increase the bioavailability of tetracycline antibiotics.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

marg
    Participant

Mat, when you’re doing the shopping, instead of wheat pasta I can recommend a rice pasta, brand Tinkyada, especially the brown rice Tinkyada. It’s actually good, takes a bit longer to cook. Don’t expect your Mom to cook this though!

We tried other rice pastas and I couldn’t eat them.

jaminhealth
    Participant

Soy products raises havoc with our thyroids…so CAUTION. I was on soy years ago and falling over with fatigue…..my chiro muscle tested and sure enough it was the SOY….can be bad stuff for us.

I mostly use coconut milk and now and then almond milk for cooking and cereal etc…..

dixiegirl
    Participant

Trader Joes has amazing rice pasta… I love it! I’m strictly gluten free or else my RA goes crazy. That pasta is awesome =)

bonnielou
    Keymaster

There are so many different ideas as to what constitutes a healthy diet. There are a few consistent themes (no processed food, no sugar, so we cut out the frosted flakes, doritos and oreos). I think the rest is harder to judge. I had food allergy testing done. I found I had inflammatory reactions to some very surprising items (raspberries, navy beans and almonds for example). I cut out milk as a result of those tests –and I don’t miss it at all. I did at first, but I adjusted.

I did not cut out grains. They are not a problem for me. I do not avoid nightshades. I do eat enormous amounts of vegetables (especially greens) and a good amount of fruit, nuts and seeds. I eat mostly vegetarian, with some meat. I made a great chunky vegetable chili the other night — using pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, onions, tomatoes, vegetable broth and spices. There are lots of recipes and options available.

I feel great. I had a bit of a scare earlier this year — I had some swelling in joints in my hand and foot again — but it went away very quickly. You really can enjoy life without cheeseburgers and fries. πŸ™‚ It’s amazing how good nutritious food can taste. I like the advice to change slowly. You have to find the right choices for you.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Bonnie Lou,

It’s good to hear that you are doing well now. Just today I was thinking about you and wondering how you’ve been doing.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Me too Bonnie Lou!
    So pleased to hear that was just a blip and that you are doing well again πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

The food sensitivity thing is very individualised, isnt it? I did turn out to be sensitive to gluten (as so many are) so cut that right out. But what is a trigger for one, is okay for another. However, I also underwent testing. For those who dont or cant, I always think gluten and dairy are the two likely candidates………and would suggest that people try a 12 week elimination (to deal with half-life antibodies remaining in the body for a fair length of time) and monitor what happens.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Susan LymeRA
    Participant
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Also worth taking a look at the article on mercola site that re the perspective that disease starts in the gut

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7084

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.