Home Forums General Discussion Question?!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Devie
    Participant

My mycoplasma test came back negative….any thoughts??

John McDonald
    Participant

My tests came back weakly positive, 2 of 5 tested. My wife's came back negative for all. Both of us improved on AP and both of us herx mightily on the MP. I can think of no better explanation for a herx other than microbial destruction.  I conclude that the tests were ineffective, and I know that there are many, many more species of L-form, Cell Wall Deficient, mycoplasma, or mycobacteria that can cause these diseases. I say plow on! It worked for me.

Devie
    Participant

It does seem though that without the positive mycoplasma, my insurance will not endorse IV treatment, should that ever be deemed necessary- true?

Michele
    Participant

My insurance covered my IV in IA before my mycoplasm test was completed.
    I later had two bands of mycoplasm show up as a past infection.

It depends on how the AP doc submits the bill. Dr. S truly believes in the infectious cause of RA, so diagnosis it as an infection.

Michele

SusanSD
    Participant

My mycoplasma test was negative but I still was able to get insurance to cover most of it. I think they covered 80% at least. I agree with Michele, it may depend on how your doctor files it.

A Friend
    Participant

Hi Devie,

Believe this is my first time to “see” you here.  Welcome!

Mycoplasma testing is tedious testing, and some physicians say their labs can test for mycoplasma when they do not have proper testing techniques.  This happened to me when I was first diagnosed in 1996.  That same day, I found a copy of “The New Arthritis Breakthrough” and learned about Dr. Brown's protocols for rheumatic illness.  I discussed the testing with my internist, and he said his clinic lab could test for mycoplasma, and these came back negative. 

I still went to Ida Grove to see Dr. S.  Dr. Brown's old lab is still operating in Maryland, and my blood drawn for a mycoplasma panel of tests was sent there.  They came back with my being positive in two strains.  I learned later about the testing being very intricate, and needs to be done by labs set up specifically to do this and be done by experienced personnel. 

So, some labs are a waste of time and money.

Good luck to you,

AF

[edit] PS  Because my 2nd testing that was done by Dr. Brown's old lab in Maryland was positive and gave numbers for each strain of mycoplasma, when Dr. S did re-tests, progress could be seen.  However, I didn't need those repeat tests to tell me that after I began the IVs every 6 months and was on AP, everything was getting better…. that is, after those first 4 months when I was experiencing the throes of Herxheimer. AF

Devie
    Participant

Yes- I copied the labs straight from the book and gave them to my rheumo but he had the test done elsewhere anyway- very frustrating!  On the other hand- he is prescribing the mino and did do all the lab tests I requested so I dont want to diss him yet.

I get to take my mino again this morning.  I need to start a journal so I can be a little more trustworthy about reporting symptoms.  My better times are definitely better than before!

I still have my appt with Dr S in June.

Thanks for your help-  Devie

A Friend
    Participant

Devie,

I forgot to bring up the point about the IVs not being covered (usually, anyway) unless there is a positive lab showing an infection, i.e. mycoplasma, etc. 

The first round of IVs in Iowa were not covered by my insurance company, and I had to pay out-of-pocket. 

Later, after I'd read a bit more, I asked my insurance person why these were not covered, since I had an infection and the IVs were for that problem — and IVs are an approved treatment for infection.   She was very nice, and told me I had a point, BUT, she said, the IVs were submitted as “treatment for RA” which is not approved for reimbursement as FDA has not recognized the IVs for tx of RA.  She took care of getting a new “code” (reason) for the IVs as tx for infection, and I got a nice Christmas refund.  After that, they were always covered by my insurance. 

So, for the above reason, if possible, I believe getting the mycoplasma tests from a lab that knows about and does mycoplasma testing well can save us lots of money.  On http://www.rheumatic.org if you click on Information for You and Your Physicians, there are recommended labs for doing this testing.  (There may also be these on RBF, but RBF was not online when I was learning this information, and rheumatic.org was.)

AF

Devie
    Participant

Yes- those are the labs I asked my rheumo to use but he did not.  Now I doubt very much he will retest me and send the blood in to one of the labs recommended byy rehumatic. irg.

Grrr!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Question?!’ is closed to new replies.