Home Forums General Discussion Question on GI meds

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jan from CA
    Participant

Any experience with XanTac, Prilosec, or Previcide? These were suggested by a doctor friends

Maz
    Keymaster

Did the reflux start with taking the prednisone? My integrative rheumy recommended taking zinc carnosine for reflux. It worked well for me when I had to take prednisone for a while. Not needed anymore.

Jan from CA
    Participant

The reflux comes with stress or stomach upset. I will look into zinc carnosine

Jan from CA
    Participant

Maz Where do you get the zinc carnosine?

Maz
    Keymaster

I got it on Amazon. Are you still on AP? Might be a good idea to check with doc first (to determine dose and okay for you) and, if you get thumbs up, likely needs to be spaced well away from mino doses.

Jan from CA
    Participant

Yes

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Jan,

I take famotidine (generic Pepcid AC). I buy the 10 mg tablets at Walmart. For a long time I took one tablet every day, shortly after waking up. Now I take it as needed, about 15 to 30 minutes after a meal. This is basically the opposite of how they tell you to take this medication. I do that because stomach acid is important for digestion, and I don’t want to completely suppress its production.

If I eat a meal that I know is likely to cause heartburn, I will take one 10 mg tablet of famotidine about 15 to 30 minutes after that meal. If I am already experiencing some heartburn when it’s time to take the famotidine, then I take two tablets. And if I take an NSAID at the same time, then I always take 20 mg of famotidine.

Very rarely, my stomach will produce so much acid that even 20 mg of famotidine is not enough. On those occasions, one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of water usually works wonders.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.