Home Forums General Discussion Probiotic Supplementation Improves Rheumatoid Arthritis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    JohnnyMax
    Participant

New study just released showing the importance of certain probiotic strains and their influence on Rheumatoid Arthritis. I would advise those looking to add this to their treatment to use just SINGLE strains, not have it mixed in with numerous other strains of bacteria, which in my opinion may be counterproductive, this is something I have mentioned in the past of the shotgun approach used by supplement manufacurers. Anyways …

Probiotic supplementation improves inflammatory status in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
    Vaghef-Mehrabany E1, Alipour B2, Homayouni-Rad A3, Sharif SK4, Asghari-Jafarabadi M5, Zavvari S6.
    Author information

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24355439

richie
    Participant

Everyone who is using an antibiotic therapy for treating RA is using a probiotic -if not -they certainly should be !!!
    Richie

needhelp
    Participant

This board is invaluable: I started taking probiotics w/my AP, because I read it here: none of my doctors ever mentioned probiotics should be used w/abx therapy! TY Road Back helpers!

Anonymous
    Participant

JohnyMax,
    Very interesting. Still I don’t understand why in a trail they gave the other group maltodextrin not placebo.
    Also it would be interesting to know if probiotics would help people who suffer with different rheumatic conditions, but have never taken any aggressive pills.
    Linda L.

Starr
    Participant

Linda L,
    I also wondered why they used maltodextrin for a control group. Maltodextrin should have been an additional experimental group because if any subjects were gluten-sensitive, it would have made them worse! (One of the authors was from the Road Traffic Injury Prevention Research Center so maybe that was a factor.) I don’t doubt that probiotic supplementation could improve RA and yes, there have been studies that have shown improvement with probiotic supplementation for many inflammatory conditions. Abramson SB, Scher JU, and Mathis D have done much interesting work. It’s a very complex area but certainly anyone taking antibiotics should also take good probiotics!

lorene
    Participant

So how much should a person take according to the study? I can’t find out how much Lactobacillus 1 unit equals in mgs.

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@lorene wrote:

So how much should a person take according to the study? I can’t find out how much Lactobacillus 1 unit equals in mgs.

The full study states 10 to the 8th power as the dose, this works out to 100 million units of this specific probiotic. If you intend on doing it, just use this strain only, not mixed with other strains, as it will NOT work the same. I would also avoid taking any other probiotics during the day while using it, since so much is unknown about these strains it may be cancelling out the benefits this is giving you. Some sites online carry single strains you can purchase.

John

A Friend
    Participant

@needhelp wrote:

This board is invaluable: I started taking probiotics w/my AP, because I read it here: none of my doctors ever mentioned probiotics should be used w/abx therapy! TY Road Back helpers!

Hi Needhelp,
    In regard to your taking probiotics, how long before or after your AP antibiotic are you taking the probiotics? (I’m thinking you probably are not taking the probiotics at the same time as your antibiotics, but wanted any new patients and visitors to know the two should not be taken at the same time. I’m thinking it has been suggested we wait three hours after taking antibiotics, but can’t remember. I’ve been off antibiotics for at least a couple of years, but believe I waited at least 2, and preferably 3 hours. Will someone who has studied this recently, chime in on this for us?
    Thanks,
    AF

Anonymous
    Participant

I have been told to take it half an hour before breakfast and take antibiotics with breakfast.
    Linda L.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Good article.

richie
    Participant

These studies were run out of Iranian Universities –Ulterior motives ????
    richie

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Richie-

What do you think an ulterior motive would be?

richie
    Participant

Hi I cant even fathom what an irrational society could do –
    richie

Forum Admin
    Keymaster

@richie wrote:

These studies were run out of Iranian Universities –Ulterior motives ????
    richie

@richie wrote:

Hi I cant even fathom what an irrational society could do –
    richie

RBFV REMINDER:

The personal opinions expressed on this forum do not reflect the mission of the Road Back Foundation (RBF).

The RBF discussion forum is provided as a free courtesy service to its member users. It is moderated by volunteers and is open to the international rheumatic patient, research and medical community that has an interest in learning about Antibiotic Protocols (AP) as a treatment choice for rheumatic diseases.

As per forum guidelines, the primary focus of discussion here is on questions about, experiences with or information related to antibiotic protocols (AP) for rheumatic diseases and/or supporting measures that may enhance the therapy.

Forum Guidelines here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1

Any posts that veer off-topic and (e.g. contain political, religious and/or ethnocentric comments) that are of an inflammatory nature will be moderated with a reminder in order to maintain this forum as a place where the international rheumatic community feels warmly welcomed. RBF retains the right to remove posts that violate its forum guidelines and to block any user who repeatedly disregards them.

prioris
    Participant

What Probiotics products and other things are you taking and feel you have good results keeping your gut in good shape ?

are these products relative to a particular antibiotic or general for most?

I’d like some recommendations. I will testing goat kefir at some point. i minimized grains and gluten.

You guys must be guru’s in this area of gut health given all the antibiotics you have taken over the years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.