Home Forums General Discussion Premature graying

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    troysmom
    Participant

My son turned 13 this past week, hard to believe I am old enough to have a teenager, he has now also been 'sick' longer then he was healthy, he doesn't even remember what it was like to be 'healthy', most of his memory revolves around the diagnosis, the illness, the journey to better health.

So needless to say my son has a small patch about 7 hairs of gray hair on his temple.  I have been reading up on it and article after article says that stress causing gray hair is a myth, that has to be true because I am the msot stressed out person I know and I don't have any gray hair yet, but my teenage son does.

Just wondering if there has been any link from the use of medicines to premature graying that anyone might have read about or heard about.

richie
    Participant

Hio

No link —

richie

Trudi
    Participant

A copper defiency can cause graying of hair.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

smiley59
    Participant

Has his thyroid been checked?  My hair went gray 2 years after my thyroid went off.

troysmom
    Participant

yes his thyroid was checked two weeks ago, it's fine

Kim
    Participant

Hey mom,

If you do a search on Dermatomyositis + sauna you'll see several articles suggesting sauna use may be beneficial. 

So sorry you're having a hard time getting a handle on this for Troy.  We share your frustration.

Take care…..kim

louris
    Participant

I second that it may be some sort of mineral deficiency.  Whether that is copper or not, I don't know.  I have read that some folks have had success beating back graying by using unsulphured blackstrap molasses.  It is full of useful minerals.  It will also help certain types of anemia.  Largely anecdotal and an “old-timey” type remedy, I found that it was helpful in my battle to keep my hgb up.  The only thing I'd caution is if you have any sort of existing yeast/fungal issue, it may not be a good idea.

Joe M
    Participant

From Mayo:

http://www.riversideonline.com/health_reference/Childrens-Health/AN01324.cfm

Question:  My 12-year-old daughter has patches of gray hair. What would cause this?
    KellyCanada

Answer:  Gray hair in a child is an uncommon problem and should be evaluated by a doctor or dermatologist. Causes of gray hair in a child include:

Premature graying (canities). This is the same process that occurs with aging in adults when hair pigment cells simply stop making pigment. Most children with this condition are otherwise healthy. Premature graying may also be associated with other conditions, such as vitiligo, alopecia areata, thyroid disorders and anemia, including vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Patches of white or gray hair (poliosis). Some children lack pigment cells in a patch of hair follicles at birth. Others lose hair color when the immune system accidentally destroys pigment cells in a localized area. Some forms of poliosis can be inherited. Poliosis may also be associated with certain skin disorders, such as vitiligo, and genetic disorders, such as Marfan's syndrome and Waardenburg's syndrome.

Treatment of graying hair in children is the same as for adults and includes hair dye and various styling techniques.

-edited for formatting

A Friend
    Participant

[user=1358]troysmom[/user] wrote:

My son turned 13 this past week, hard to believe I am old enough to have a teenager, he has now also been 'sick' longer then he was healthy, he doesn't even remember what it was like to be 'healthy', most of his memory revolves around the diagnosis, the illness, the journey to better health.

So needless to say my son has a small patch about 7 hairs of gray hair on his temple.  I have been reading up on it and article after article says that stress causing gray hair is a myth, that has to be true because I am the msot stressed out person I know and I don't have any gray hair yet, but my teenage son does.

Just wondering if there has been any link from the use of medicines to premature graying that anyone might have read about or heard about.

Troysmom,

I'm certainly old enough to have gray hair… and was even when the following took place, though it all turning white happened  rather quickly… like Mother Nature had run out of brown color for my hair.  I had to go back to the Old RBFBB to find this post, but it is possible that the cause of my hair turning white may shed some light on the cause of Troy's gray hair.  I've copied and pasted portions of the old post about this strange happening: 

Posted by A Friend on Mon – Dec 31 – 11:35am:

In Reply to: More…….Re: HCL Betaine & AP posted by Juliette on Sun – Dec 30 – 9:52pm:

In a reply to Juliette post, the following are excerpts:

AF replies:
    Juliette, …… the thing I've learned I need to do (because of my low HCL and my very longterm acidic pH) is to modify my diet to consume virtually no beef or pork [these are too difficult for me to break down and digest, and use too many of my minerals] — and to my already (what I thought was) really good diet, have added even more raw and/or lightly cooked vegetables. I do consume some fish and small amounts of white meat of fowl……..

…..I've intended to post about what has been happening since beginning about the last week of July [2006]. It is such an unusual story…..

I began the minerals with orotates about 5 months ago. The pain level I'd been having in 2006, since doing the above things is greatly improved, but I'm still not back to walking, and I think that would greatly improve things because oxygenation is very important to our cells… especially if we have gone from aerobic metabolism to anerobic metabolism [this happens when our cells have become too acidic] — which I'd bet had happened to my own cells.

The most biazrre thing to happen was that my hairdresser told me in January and February that all my hair roots looked platinum gray and was really pretty. I didn't dye my hair, but I did use Loving Care (no peroxide/bleach) to somewhat cover the gray. So, I decided to let it fade off. By August 4 [2007] (a family birthday party), my daughter said my hair was all platinum except two tiny quarter-size areas in the back. Gradually, after beginning the large doses of minerals with orotates, I began to see my darker hair re-emerging. After a couple of months, my hairdresser looked puzzled, and said it looked like my hair was turning dark again (I only go once each month for a haircut). At this time, 5 months after beginning, my platinum is gradually vanishing, and in its place looks about half dark again — and VERY dark on the side and back areas. So, I can only assume that the ions in the calcium orotate and the other minerals are getting to where they are supposed to go, and that this is causing a return of the hair color that had “95%” gone away. (Will eventually post more on this subject, as it unfolds.) AF

Troysmom, my all-over platinum hair has very gradually kept darkening since that time, and now the platinum remaining is only on the top layer of hair on the top of my head.  The cause, I'm sure, of my own hair losing nearly all of its brown color and turning platinum was that I'd lost so much of my body's mineral pool that must have been responsible for my hair color.  As I learned more about my acidosis/magnesium deficiency, I kept changing things until my body's pH balance was restored back to a normal, healthy range.  It has been about 2-1/2 years since I was in such pain and began learning what my problems were and how to turn them around. 
    I'm hoping answers to Troy's problems can be found very soon. 
    AF

PS  A link that has been helpful to me:
    http://www.8candlesonline.com/purify/what_is/about.html#seed-bed

Joe M
    Participant

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote: 

As I learned more about my acidosis/magnesium deficiency, I kept changing things until my body's pH balance was restored back to a normal, healthy range.  It has been about 2-1/2 years since I was in such pain and began learning what my problems were and how to turn them around. 
    AF

Just a question – what is the body's “normal” ph, considering various bodily functions operate at different PH levels?  For example, if you are measuring urine PH, does that have anything to do with blood PH or stomach PH?  What about at the cellular level?  Many cellular processes require shifts from acid to alkaline in order to function properly, so how do you know exactly when to measure PH?  I assume you must do blood tests, as urine strips only tell you the PH of your urine.  You probably also measure your saliva, as that has a different “normal” ph than either the urine or the blood.  Does changing the PH of your urine correlate with PH changes in the blood or at the cellular level?   How do you keep it all straight? 

-edited for spelling

A Friend
    Participant

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote:

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote: 

As I learned more about my acidosis/magnesium deficiency, I kept changing things until my body's pH balance was restored back to a normal, healthy range.  It has been about 2-1/2 years since I was in such pain and began learning what my problems were and how to turn them around. 
    AF

Just a question – what is the body's “normal” ph, considering various bodily functions operate at different PH levels?  For example, if you are measuring urine PH, does that have anything to do with blood PH or stomach PH?  What about at the cellular level?  Many cellular processes require shifts from acid to alkaline in order to function properly, so how do you know exactly when to measure PH?  I assume you must do blood tests, as urine strips only tell you the PH of your urine.  You probably also measure your saliva, as that has a different “normal” ph than either the urine or the blood.  Does changing the PH of your urine correlate with PH changes in the blood or at the cellular level?   How do you keep it all straight? 

-edited for spelling

Note:  See edit/additional link with the PS. 
    [/size%;”>[/size]

Joe,

I read a tremendous number of articles on this subject (and still do) to learn about what my first pH testing numbers of 5.0-5.5 and pain syndrome during this time meant, and to learn how to make them better. 
    I've  used a couple of different brands of test strips, and the brand I like that works best for me is by Nature's Sunshine.  They come with a graph/chart which has pH numbers up and down the sides, with times of day/night across the bottom.  The chart gives the “Healthy Urinary pH Changes Over a 24-Hour Period.”  Across the bottom the chart are listed time periods over a 24-hour period.  Across the center of this chart/graph is a tracking path in red that shows the “24-Hour Preferred Safe pH Range.”  A handout was given to me by them with further information on this subject, and how to do it properly.   

I still test my pH using this brand, but it is not necessary to do this as often as I did at first when my numbers were so bad.  When I test, I test the first morning saliva (before food or drink), and/or a urine sample at the same time OR between meals… two hours after food and drink (other than water).  Because I've consistently used these type strips and tested with them, the changes/readings seem to be a dependable way to track improvement or worsening.  (I don't want to stop testing completely, because when I was so acidic, it has taken a long, long time and perseverence to turn things around.  I want to keep it this way.)   

I've learned and have shared numerous times in posts about reports showing that serum pH testing lab report is not valid — there are a number of doctors and scientists who've reported this is true:  because life cannot be sustained if the venous blood pH drops more than several tenths.  Because this is true, the body in its wisdom, if it is overly acidic… and has used up its mineral pool, begins to “beg, borrow, steal” minerals from other parts of the body where this is safe to do, and may be misleading that the Magnesium pH is ok, sometimes it even shows a bit too “alkaline” — at which time Dr. Paul Cheney reports in a article that the patient may, in fact, really be in serious trouble, but since the reading in slightly too alkaline, the physician may shrug and think it's ok. 

Eventually, I read, if this acidosis problem goes on for some time, we can develop all sorts of symptoms, pain, damaged cells, go from aerobic to anerobic cell function, bone damaged, and on and on.  (Seems I'm remembering perhaps answering such a post from you when we were still on the Old RBF BB… or maybe not.)  I'm a lay person, but the links I've posted in the past 2-1/2 years will tell you more than I can in this post.  Do a search and read the P Braun paper, with scientific references throughout. 

My AP physician who retired the year that my problems were at their worst, now apparently has adopted this as true, and occasionally sends me a link he has found.  These are links from one of the last e-mails he sent on this subject: 

http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_acid_alkaline_pH_3.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_acid_alkaline_pH_0.html

Also, hope my explanations make sense to all of you,

AF

PS. Edit/addendum: The following link describes a study about how/why pain and pH are related. 

http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=1513

[/size]

Joe M
    Participant

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I still don't understand what urine PH has to do with blood PH or cellular PH, considering they are completely independent, but I'll keep reading and learning.  Thanks too for the links.

A Friend
    Participant

Joe,

It does seem confusing (especially at first), but the bottom line, I believe, is that all of our body systems work together, and though there may be changes in pH at different intervals in different systems of the body, my understanding is that the saliva and urine testing (at various times and under certain conditions) can be good “barometers” of the pH balance of our body… And, I believe, if we are having constant allover pain, and haven't been testing our pH, doing so may give us some vital clues as to whether acidosis is part of these problems. 

AF

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ Premature graying’ is closed to new replies.