Home Forums General Discussion Pregnancy and AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kristie
    Participant

I am considering having another child. I’ve read here that others have had a hard time in getting their disease under control after stopping antibiotics. My RA is in remission with AP and right after the baby is born I plan to start mino again. What are others experiences with pregnancy and AP?
    Thank you, Kristie

cavalier
    Participant

Kristie this is a question & discussion with your doc who treats your RA but some woman do better during PG with their Rheumatic diseases – due to increased progesterone & yet other diseases can be made worse due to higher progesterone. For example not really in the list of a Rheumatic disease, but can be a 2ndary issue for some people in a coinfection type of category but I was reading recently that raised progesterone during PG can make if one has Candida worse.

Def. there are some people who feel much better during PG, they then resume AP after the PG due to hormones reshifting. I dont know if there is any one fast rule.

Jill SD, Lyme, CPn, Candida & babesia

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kristie,

How long have you had RA, and how long have been on minocycline?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Kristie
    You may want to take a look at this recent thread which discussed taking abx whilst pregnant and afterwards, especially if breastfeeding.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8926&p=67101&hilit=pregnancy#p67101

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

kristie
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    I’ve had RA for 2 years (started 6 wks after child birth) and have been on mino for 1 year 3 months-100mg bid
    Hi Lynnie and Jill,
    Thank you! I did see that discussion and I wear out the search engine 😉 That is what got me thinking. I live in Northern BC and I’d have to fly out to see an AP doctor and with a baby at the time, severe RA , it was over whelming – so I thought I would start mino and see. My labs are back to normal, my nodules are gone and all swelling; just migratory pains to remind me I still have it. So I haven’t dealt with the co infection aspect of it yet since the mino is working so well. But, I have seen people say they stopped AP for what ever reason and when they restarted, it wasn’t as effective. How did they get their disease under control again? And with the same level of relief?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kristie
    I think that some people have alot of trouble getting things under control again when they have stopped abx altogether (whether mino or other) and then re-start after symptoms return. Just my fellow patient take on this but I would look at what’s possible to take in terms of abx whilst pregnant/breast feeding – Maz posted a link to information on this in that other discussion thread. It’s probably a case of not letting the pathogens loose unabated so that they become more difficult to deal with down the track. Others here may have a perspective on what might make it more difficult a second time around. Whatever the reason, this not uncommon occurrence is one reason why I believe it would be worth working with a doc who knows his/her stuff to set you up on on a protocol during that time that would make it less likely to happen down the track. If it’s not possible for you to travel (and I perfectly understand why!) then another option would be to work with a supportive local doc (holistic are sometimes the most likely to be open) and have him/her consult with the great Dr S in Iowa. He will gladly do this.

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

It’s probably a case of not letting the pathogens loose unabated so that they become more difficult to deal with down the track. Others here may have a perspective on what might make it more difficult a second time around.

Hi,
    Does that mean AP seems less effective after pregnancy?

A Friend
    Participant

@kristie wrote:

I am considering having another child. I’ve read here that others have had a hard time in getting their disease under control after stopping antibiotics. My RA is in remission with AP and right after the baby is born I plan to start mino again. What are others experiences with pregnancy and AP?
    Thank you, Kristie

Kristie,
    Have saved a number of links relating to pregnancy into a Word document. A friend of mine had a daughter expecting fairly recently, and she had begun having contractions while she had 3 or more 4 more months. (Remembered reading that Vitamin C deficiency was related to pre-eclampsia/pre-term delivery. I’d read a good bit about this condition in Dr. Linus Pauling’s book, “How to Live Longer and Feel Better.” These pages weren’t online, but I copied the pages and mailed them. I can’t tell you whether the daughter used Dr. P’s information, but do know the daughter carried the baby full term, and is feeling and doing well. I received a beautiful picture. (I was concerned because my friend has a rheumatic diagnosis, and sometimes tendencies are passed down.)

I’m pasting the links saved in the Word document, thinking they may be of help to you or others:

http://acam.typepad.com/blog/2011/11/an-expanded-view-of-prenatal-care-11-points-to-consider.html
    November 19, 2011
    An Expanded View of Prenatal Care: 11 Points to Consider

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:13 PM
    Subject: Pregnancy… Important information for young “would-be” parents

While keyboarding other information, Dr. Siegel on Fox & Friends began discussing newer informaton reported about women taking the B vitamin Folic Acid before trying to conceive and have a baby. Didn

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi,
    Does that mean AP seems less effective after pregnancy?

No I don’t think you can reach that cause/effect conclusion. Rather that it can be more difficult for some to get under control when abx stopped for a substantial amount of time – whatever the reason for this – and then re-started.

Be well! Lynnie

Anonymous
    Participant

Allright, thanks!

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi

A Friend
    Participant

@natalie_christin wrote:

Hi

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Good idea AF! And I also think the abbreviations probably need updating.
    Hopefully when site is overhauled this will be done. And we will look at something to post at top of Forum also

Meantime here are two links to some abbreviations from the main site (which we recommend people take some time to have a look around – especially Education section)

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/157.html

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Laboratory-45656 (scroll down page to see abbreviations/explanations of bloodwork measurements)

Be well! Lynnie

A Friend
    Participant

Natalie,

After reading your posts, I began doing several searches. One search led to another, and one of the thoughts just may be very helpful to you. Will paste what I found, and the notes I put with them. Let me know if anything is unclear. And good luck to you. Will be following your messages and progress.

Misc. suggestions for one who has a diagnosis of a chronic rheumatic illness, has endometriosis, and would like to have a baby:

1) Get the contact information from one of the moderators for Dr. S in Iowa, longtime AP physician, who also has delivered babies for years

A Friend
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Good idea AF! And I also think the abbreviations probably need updating.
    Hopefully when site is overhauled this will be done. And we will look at something to post at top of Forum also

Meantime here are two links to some abbreviations from the main site (which we recommend people take some time to have a look around – especially Education section)

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/157.html

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Laboratory-45656 (scroll down page to see abbreviations/explanations of bloodwork measurements)

Lynnie,
    Another thought… Is it possible to have another little icon beside our “PM” icon — the other little icon being a link to the abbreviations? If this can’t be done, having it where you mentioned should work well, and can be printed on a sheet of paper and kept near posters’ computers at home. Sometimes we forget we can easily print messages posted.
    Thanks for taking the ball and running with it.
    AF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.