Home Forums General Discussion Potassium Deficiency as cause of RA?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Carrie-RA
    Participant

Have any of you heard about Charles Weber (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17349.php) who suggests that RA is caused by Potassium deficiency (or at least the deficiency plays a big part of the problem)? Do you agree? Are you taking supplements? It's interesting but a bit scary considering you can have big problems if you take too much. Thoughts?

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi carrie,   People with Gout have a potassium deficiency and that is a form of arthritis, but I have RA and I was never deficient in potassium. my diet is rich in potassium and always has been, most all my vitamins, enzymes & minerals come from the food I eat and the raw cows milk that I am so lucky to get at the farm,it still has all the good bacteria in it because its still (Real Milk) . The only supplement I buy is Codliver oil because its rich in vitamins D & A and and omega 3 . I believe if one eats the right food they would not have to buy supplements. “God gave us food to eat, man gives us supplements for, what”…… Joe

APbeliever
    Participant

My diet is full of potassium also. One banana a day keeps the potassium lows at bay 😀

Carrie-RA
    Participant

Yeah, I assume my potassium is ok too as I take vitamins. Guess I'm just grabbing at straws.:?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I have never heard of gout being caused by a potassium deficiency, rather a build-up of uric acid. Possible causes are thought to be the body's incapability of processing purine (a type of protein) or the kidney's inability to remove excess uric acid. One thing that does seem common to most views is that diet plays an extremely importtant role in prevention/control. Lynnie

http://www.seekwellness.com/gout/what_is_gout.htm 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Joe RA
    Participant

Lynnie,   There are many things that causes gout and I believe most of us know of the build up of uric acid. A good potassium level is needed to keep the uric acid from crystallizeing and in a solution form so they can be eliminated.   Joe RA    http://www.health911.com/gout  

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Thanks Joe – I didnt know that. It's always interesting to look at the more natural/ holistic take on things, which tends to be more far reaching. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Potassium Deficiency as cause of RA?’ is closed to new replies.