Home Forums General Discussion Possible Itching Theory

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Devie
    Participant

I got my blood test back today and my TSH was .023.  Normal is .4.  That means that I am taking too much synthroid; way too much!

Might that hyper thyroid condition account for my itching.

I am starting a lower dose tomorrow so I guess I'll find out.

As for the burning and pain- it has decreased quite a bit so maybe it was a herx.

We'll see tomorrow cause every day is different for me- sigh!

casey
    Participant

Hi Devie,

14 yrs ago, i was hospitalized with rashes and hives.I was so itchy. At that time i wasnt on AP, never even knew i had this . Anyway, in the hospital, they told me it looked like one of four things when they starting testing. One was thyroid.

Maybe you have your answer. I hope so.

By the way, i tried to PM you on the other board. Cant get through!

Blessings,

casey

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Devie,

As per your thread of last week….

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=792&forum_id=1&highlight=devie+thyroid

…yup, itching can very well by thryoid-related. I thought it was normally associated with hypothyroidism only, but did a little searching around and found it can also be associated with hyperthyroid. My TSH is currently running at about .45, just above the newly accepted .3 range for hyperthyroidism. I have hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules and feel this may be the precursor to Hashimoto's, too, like my Mum had.

If it is this that's causing your itchy probs, then it may take some weeks for your meds to level out to really know for sure. In any case, so glad you caught this overmedication blip and can now have it sorted it out with your doc. Thyroid imbalances are pretty troublesome and affect so many bodily functions. Being ont he hyper side could very well be adding to your stress/anxiety levels, too. You need that like a hold in the head, right now, eh?  

Peace, Maz

Devie
    Participant

My RA is better leading me to think this was a herx. 

I am not as itchy, as burny, and have hardly needed Motrin. 

Already tweaked the synthroid.

Right before my bf broke up with me-  lets face it my biorhythms are in Hell right now.

Devie

Jo
    Participant

The Itch
    Its mysterious power may be a clue to a new theory about brains and bodies.
    by Atul Gawande
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/30/080630fa_fact_gawande

Blessings

Jo

Devie
    Participant

Wow- interesting and so glad I dont have HIV.

Devie I presume you have tried fungal treatment as that can also make you itch like mad.  we need continual systemic treatment with this antibiotic treatment.  An allergy to certain foods also can do this.  Acidity, We have to look at all options.

Devie
    Participant

It went away but I also found out I was taking way too much thyroid, creating a hyperthyroid condition.

I am finding out that half of the things I experience are unknowns….that is why I am so thankful for the input here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Possible Itching Theory’ is closed to new replies.