Home Forums General Discussion Podcast on AP for RA on national radio in Oz

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

This is a podcast of a 15 minute segment by Dr Norman Swan who presents The Health Report on our National Broadcaster (the non-commercial, absolutely credible one). Link was posted on IPRS and thanks Karin for directing me to it. 

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2008/2260412.htm

Note: The first half is a report on A2 milk, so slide the bar to around half way. Also, the accent is gently Scottish (not a strange Aussie twang!) Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

“a website for The Road Back Foundation… the wacky ones there are the Australians”

A very good interview!  But, when you listen, get ready to get mad at the mainstream rheumy doc that talks about all the dangers of taking Mino.  A few half truths!  But both sides do talk about the “Mino Tan.” 

Cheryl

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

“a website for The Road Back Foundation… the wacky ones there are the Australians”

Yeah, interesting huh? And there's been me all this time thinking that honour went to the Californians!!!!;) Lynnie

PS Cheryl, yes the rheumie's point does stick in the throat because it's the same ol, same ol'. However, not surprising, given that this is predominantly a mainstream medical report and wanting to give a 'balanced' viewpoint. What DID please (and surprise) me, however, is the amount of time given to the patient and the AP doc versus a relatively small counter-point from the rheumie. A good result overall, methinks. The wacky Aussie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

What a hoot, Lynnie! :roll-laugh: Aussies whacky? Nah!!!!!!  LOL

Shame they missed mentioning the MIRA Trials, though…:(

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

But the good news Maz is that the well infomed naturopath – the one who posted the link orginally – immediately emailed Dr Norman Swan with details of double blind studies. Also, something tells me this is not the last we'll hear of this……… the fact that the AP patient is a well respected former ABC colleague of Norman Swan's just gives it that cred that someone else's story may not have. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Michele
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

Thanks for posting the link. Really great to hear! The patient made the rheumatologist look like a fool reading word for word out of an old medical textbook.

Is Minocycline not a standard DMARD down under?

Michele

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

No Michele it isnt. It is listed as complementary medicine (poss equiv to a weak DMARD is the description of it by Australian Society of Rheumatologists!). However, it is not a big issue here (except of course for its dismissal by rheumies). We dont have the insurance issues here and a 100 tab pack of Minomycin (the Aussie brand name, non-pelleted) is around $23. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Kim
    Participant

Good interview, Lynnie.  Baby steps are better than no steps, and by the way, I don't think you're 'whackers'!!!

kim

Kim
    Participant

Sorry Lynnie, take back what I said.  You must be 'whackers' for paying $80 a bottle for fancy vodka!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Gee Kim, thanks! I dont pay $80 because it's fancy, but because it's the only alcohol allowed on my list – it's listed and named by brand. Think that it is because of the distillation process and the fact that it is not made from grain (as most vodkas are). However, I must confess to having developed a taste for it! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Kim
    Participant

Too funny……..I hope you have something a little cheaper for guests.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

But the good news Maz is that the well infomed naturopath – the one who posted the link orginally – immediately emailed Dr Norman Swan with details of double blind studies. Also, something tells me this is not the last we'll hear of this……… the fact that the AP patient is a well respected former ABC colleague of Norman Swan's just gives it that cred that someone else's story may not have.

Lynnie, I think I 'might' know the Aussie naturopath you're talking about. If so, she's wonderful. Posts updates on her AP patient on the rheumatic.org yahoogroup.

So wonderful to hear that the AP cogs are turning down under and, who knows, if people keep emailing Norman Swan with their AP success stories, he might even do a series on it…. Actually, have you ever thought of sending your story to the health editor of a national Aussie newspaper or women's magazine? The impact that the Woman's Day magazine had over here detailing the story of Kathy Koch and her recovery from scelroderma on minocycline was so profound. RBF got an 5-fold increase in requests for AP docs after that one article. It was all detailed in the last RBF e-bulletin, if anyone is interested.

Peace, Maz

Lynnie I do not for one minute think you are whacko and can only imagine he means me although he did use plural.  Strange thing to say. However I take full responsibility for being the whacko one, as I am pretty strict on the starch sugar issue and the systemic one as well..  Most people think they can just carry on as before with something like this but I am afraid that not following the guidelines is what is causing the failure of many especially the fungal problem. 

If they can just get that part right we definitely will make some headway with this treatment being a choice of many..

I think you do a fab job, so if that is what is whacko so be it.  It is so sad that patients who want the treatment are denied it because of the ignorance of its use here. No one seems to want to read anything, they just want to carry on the same old failure path of dangerous drugs.  Well I wasn't going to be sucked in to that. It can be so frightening so if you are at that point being strict is the only way to make it through the jungle and come out the other side a winner. What happened to me was a disgrace for any country and I will not have it happening to others without a fight.

amyid
    Participant

The Rheum mentioned Minocycline induced Lupus.  Does that occur frequently in AP'ers who are on Mino long term.  If one takes the Mino for treatment of an auto-immune disease like RA, or SD, does the likelihood of contracting lupus go up? 

I love the testimonial that the gentleman gave!  It is another resounding affirmation.  Truthfully, the Rheum.s lupus busniess scared me!:shock:

DX Rheumatoid Arthritis- 3/2008, Began AP 8/2008-continued various forms of AP through present. It's long and complicated- have a question re: my protocol, just ask 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ Podcast on AP for RA on national radio in Oz’ is closed to new replies.