Home Forums General Discussion Plaquenil

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cherie
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me their experience using plaquenil.

Thanks!

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Hi Cherie. I have been using plaquenil for about 2 1/2 years now. When I was finally diagnosed in October 2007, my rheumatologist was willing to give me minocycline as long as I would also go on plaquenil. She doesn't believe in the infectious theory of RA, but she was willing to work with me.

Originally my dose was 400mg/day. That with the mino and celebrex was very hard on my stomach, and I didn't feel great the first few months. Over time, she cut the plaquenil back — to 300 mg/day, then 200, then 100. Now I only take 200 on Saturday and Sunday — so just 400 mg/week — a very low level maintenance dose. I stopped the celebrex after about 6 months as I was feeling much better. I still take mino, just 100mg MWF.

The combo has worked very well for me. I really feel great these days — not perfect, but close. I live a very normal life. My husband is an ophthamologist, and he watches my eyes carefully — but after 25 years in practice he has seen very few complications from plaquenil — although it certainly can happen.

So I think it's a good med for some. I saw my doctor earlier this month and asked her if she thought I should cut back further. She would like me to stay just where I am. It's working, I am on a lose dose of both medicines — and until something changes she wants me to keep the status quo. I like her and I trust her — so this is my protocol for now. Are you considering plaquenil?

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Cherie
    Participant

Hi Bonnielou,

Thanks so much for writing me, I'm nervous about taking this medicine because my mother had cataracts behind her eyes and later retina detachment behind one of her eyes and remember the hell she went through. But I don't thinks it's the same thing. Just need a little bit of reassurance. I heard that problems begin after 2 years.

I only have till Monday to make my decision.

Thanks again!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I took plaquenil for about 2 yrs without problem and my eyesight actually improved during that time.  I do, however, eat and supplement very nutritiously.

Cherie
    Participant

Thanks this eases my mind.

Parisa
    Participant

Cherie,

My husband took plaquenil for about a year and a half without problem.  The prednisone he was on however did cause cataracts. 

My husband's LLMD felt that the plaquenil apart from its antinflammatory properties helped the other antibiotics penetrate better and it also has some antimalarial properties that can help some (but not enought to truly wipe out) with babesia.

Cherie
    Participant

Thanks, Parisa

As long as I don't take it past 2 years.

Suzanne
    Participant

My young daughter has been on it for a year now, with no noticeable side effects.  She gets regular eye exams.

I can't say that it has helped her arthritis at all, but it seems to have cured her lowgrade temps and stomachaches, so we want to keep her on it.  We saw those returning when she was also on pred, but once again they are gone.

I just remembered another thing – one side effect can be bad gas, so we always give it to her at night, per the dr's recommendation.  However, the only time we really noticed that was also when she was on pred!

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Cherie
    Participant

Thanks, Suzanne

mschmidt
    Participant

Cherie,

I was on Plaquenil for 9 months without any problems at all.  I suggest you get eye exams every 6 months just to make sure it's not affecting your eyes. 

Maria

gnadec
    Participant

I've been on Plaquenil for 14 years 200mg 2x per day. I get my eyes checked every 6 months and have not had any problems.

Gina

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Plaquenil’ is closed to new replies.