Home Forums General Discussion Peripheral Neuropathy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

I've been e-mailing someone who has Peripheral Neuropathy and is trying the AP protocol, and too many supplements, and not having any progress.

Is there anyon on this board who has Peripheral Neuropathy, and been successful with AP or MP?

Blessings

Jo

A Friend
    Participant

[user=465]Jo[/user] wrote:

I've been e-mailing someone who has Peripheral Neuropathy and is trying the AP protocol, and too many supplements, and not having any progress.

Is there anyon on this board who has Peripheral Neuropathy, and been successful with AP or MP?

Blessings

Jo

Jo,

About peripheral neuropathy and trying AP…. when one has elevated liver enzymes, it can be because the body and tissues have too much acidic wastes (from all sources, not just the supplements… which may not be being utilized if the gut lining is compromised and can't digest and absorb nutrients AND has leaky gut that allows particles to enter the bloodstream — which is NOT supposed to be able to happen; this can cause immune response to these as “foreign” to the body, which they have become). 

Specifically, if anyone with elevated liver enzymes pays attention to reducing the causes of acidic wastes in their body, and using healthy diet of vegetables, etc. (read a good article or book on this subject by an N.D. or Certified Clinical Nutritionist), lots of good pure water with some added lemon or lime juice and green powder, etc. to make it more alkaline, this can help the body get rid of some of the acidic waste. 

Many of us on this board, and on other boards, have found that the “whole lemon/extra virgin olive oil drink” from KeepHopeAlive, used regularly for a time,  has been able to help the liver dump toxins in the liver's bile, and this has helped with all sorts of symptoms, including neurophathy and sleep problems — can also help to get the pH balance of the body back in a more normal range. 

The lemon/olive oil drink many of us use has been modified to not include orange juice and aspartame, etc.  For sweetening, my preferred one is the Kal brand powdered stevia; I didn't like the taste of the other stevias I tried — I'm not on Kal's payroll! lol]

[The note and update below appear on the link below.]

“Note and Update: Jan , 2005. Since the following article was written in 1995, the whole lemon olive oil drink has consistently reversed neuropathy in dozens of HIV or drug related cases over the past decade. Besides what is written here, you can also visit our home page and search our database for more information at http://www.keephopealive.org “

Jo
    Participant

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

About peripheral neuropathy and trying AP…. when one has elevated liver enzymes, it can be because the body and tissues have too much acidic wastes (from all sources, not just the supplements… which may not be being utilized if the gut lining is compromised and can't digest and absorb nutrients AND has leaky gut that allows particles to enter the bloodstream — which is NOT supposed to be able to happen; this can cause immune response to these as “foreign” to the body, which they have become). 

I take it that's a no. As all you've done is mention more supplements, and not a word about the AP or MP protocola?

Blessings

Jo

A Friend
    Participant

I take it that's a no. As all you've done is mention more supplements, and not a word about the AP or MP protocola?

Blessings

Jo

Jo,

What I've mentioned can be a very real reason why our livers, as patients, can be so overloaded with acidic wastes/toxins that our livers are too ill (on lab reports) for us to begin AP.  My own liver was found to have lesions in 2000, and yet my liver tests never showed elevated enzymes.  The lesions were found after bone and liver scans had been done.

What I understood you to say in your post was that someone you're aware of “could not” be given AP because of elevated liver enzymes or the like.  I personally consider the lemon/olive oil drink a food as opposed to a supplement, but very powerful food… as mentioned in the link shared. This drink can detoxify the liver, and I'm betting get rid of toxic wastes that are causing elevations. 

Dr. Laura said one day on a radio program  that “you can lead a brain to knowledge, but you can't make it think.”  No insult intended, but just to illustrate and urge me and you and others that maybe we should take a good look at what has worked dramatically for many, many people.  Even Dr. Garth Nicolson (http://www.immed.org)  in the past number of years has begun recommending the lemon/olive oil drink to patients with diagnoses such as ours. 

Best to you,

AF

Jo
    Participant

What I understood you to say in your post was that someone you're aware of “could not” be given AP because of elevated liver enzymes or the like.  

Best to you,

AF

No, she's on the AP, and also taking way too many supplements, and the combined effect is nothing.  She's not having any progress at all.

I'm looking for someone with Peripheral Neuropathy, who is progressing on the AP protocol to use as a model. And convince her to dump most of the supplements. She eats very healthy and doesn't need to take every supplement anyone suggests, which is basically what she is doing now.  Her liver tests are just fine.

But if the AP is not working for anyone else with Peripheral Neuropathy, then that's a different situation.

Blessings

Jo

A Friend
    Participant

What I understood you to say in your post was that someone you're aware of “could not” be given AP because of elevated liver enzymes or the like.   Best to you, AF

No, she's on the AP, and also taking way too many supplements, and the combined effect is nothing.  She's not having any progress at all.

I'm looking for someone with Peripheral Neuropathy, who is progressing on the AP protocol to use as a model. And convince her to dump most of the supplements. She eats very healthy and doesn't need to take every supplement anyone suggests, which is basically what she is doing now.  Her liver tests are just fine.

But if the AP is not working for anyone else with Peripheral Neuropathy, then that's a different situation.

Blessings

Jo

Jo, it is possible (and to me seems very likely based on what I've learned the last 16 years) that her gastrointestinal system is very compromised.  If so, she can have an inability to break down and absorb vitally needed nutrients, including supplements. I have to agree that if this is her condition, then adding a lot more supplements in pill form just may add more for her overburdened liver to deal with.  Some supplements may be very helpful and necessary — the sublingual B complex comes to mind; and certainly some of the super foods that are recommended and are in liquid form MAY be helpful.  Dr. Garth Nicolson has also given a list of suggestions in the Sharon Briggs Booklet. (If interested, a search can be done on the old Board's archived messages.)  When we are ill, the liver is already dealing with a heavy load of bile with toxic waste. 

In my own wasting experience (and this happened at the beginning of my AP treatment, but because of a condition prior to diagnosis and beginning AP) it was a combination of foods (live yogurt & flaxseed oil combination, to which I added probiotics and a few other complementary foods) — see research about German scientist Dr. Johanna Budwig's work with terminally ill cancer patients, http://www.arthritistrust.org under Articles: beginning on Page 3 of “Essential Fatty Acids Are Essential” , which healed my gastro system, stopped the wasting syndrome, and allowed my body to resume ability to digest and absorb nutrients and gain back the lost weight).  I had never known or read this information until several years after eating this combo daily and becoming healthy looking again.  I accidentally discovered it one day when I did a search to learn more about EFA's and health. 

If I were the patient in this case, three things I believe I'd definitely learn about and do would be 1) to definitely incorporate the yogurt/flaxseed oil combo to help restore the gut and 2) to begin the whole lemon/olive oil drink, divided into two portions, and drink one portion 30 minutes before breakfast and food, and drink the other portion at bedtime; and 3) get on and stay on Minocin, along with the IVs, such as Dr. S in Ia does with his patients. 

Let me add to the above three things that it was necessary for me to become a student of self-help/knowledge several years before I was diagnosed with a rheumatic illness, because over two years treatment by supposedly the best physicians in Austin, Texas, I had only become worse and knew I wasn't going to make it if I didn't find other answers.  My ability to survive and somewhat recover over several years afterward was because of what I learned from Dr. Wm Crook's books and from his personal help in overcoming what turned out to be a severe systemic yeast overgrowth that I was not even aware of — this developed because I was prescribed, over two years, 15 RX'es of abx for repeated illness onsets and was not told to take probiotics. 

Having always been a very busy, healthy person prior to this onset, I knew nothing about replacing good flora, etc.  But on hindsight, certainly that internist who kept prescribing all of this should have known.  When we have diagnoses such we here have, Abx seem sorely needed by our inadequate immune systems to help address  the non-cell-walled infectious organisms, but can be a two-edged sword for many, if we don't address replacement of good flora and keep foods out of our diet that feed this population of bad bacteria and perpetuate the acidic environment that they love and thrive in.   Hope some of the above will be helpful in helping your patient/friend.

AF 

Jo
    Participant

Does any one have any AP or MP experience they could share?

Thanks

Jo

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jo,
         I had a terrible case of neuropathy.Ap did not help me but ALA (alpha lipoic acid) did.   Lynne

BeatingRA
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Jo,
         I had a terrible case of neuropathy.Ap did not help me but ALA (alpha lipoic acid) did.   Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I also have periperal neuropathy and I'm very interested in hearing more about ALA, I'm going to search on it too but can you tell me how it has helped you?  How you take it?  I have been on AP for RA since Feb 2006.  I'm in remission from the RA but, I keep saying if it wasn't for the PN, I'd be great.

Thanks,

Theresa

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Jo…you might have better luck by posting this question on the MP board, as many APers tend to add supportive adjunct supplements. MP, on the other hand, discourages supplementation, as per the Amy Proal video link I added for you on the other thread. You may find someone there with PN who can tell you if they improved on the protocol alone.

All the best in your searches for your friend.

Peace, Maz

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Jo,

I have the neuropathy too and AP in the beginning of treatment seemed to help some, but now it does not.  In the beginning, I had weekly I.V.'s which helped everything and now I 'm not on the I.V's anymore due to travel and cost.

I tried the alpha lipoic acid and did not notice a difference, though I did not go on it long-term.  Perhaps I will try it again.

Diane

Wisconsin

Jo
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Hi Jo…you might have better luck by posting this question on the MP board, as many APers tend to add supportive adjunct supplements. MP, on the other hand, discourages supplementation, as per the Amy Proal video link I added for you on the other thread. You may find someone there with PN who can tell you if they improved on the protocol alone.

All the best in your searches for your friend.

Peace, Maz

Support adjunct supplements are just great.  I'd like to hear if anyone with NP used one that made the AP work for them.   As long s the AP doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

We use a supplement as well, for detox and neuroinflammation. If it works, be sure I'll tell you all about it … laughs.

Blessings

Jo

Jo
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Jo,

ALA seems to be primarily for detox and antioxicant purposes.

“Lipoic acid is found in a variety of foods, notably kidney, heart and liver meats as well as spinach, broccoli and potatoes.

Use as a chelator
    On account of its two thiol groups, dihydrolipoic acid has potential for use as a  chelator agent in treatment of mercury intoxication.. It is particularly suited to this purpose as it can penetrate both the blood-brain barrier and the cell membrane. Other chelators such as dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) and 2,3- dimercapto-1-1propanesulfonic acid (DMPS) are unable to cross the brain-blood barrier and to remove mercury from the brain . Lipoic acid has not received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a chelating agent and questions remain about the possibility that lipoic acid may re-mobilize mercury from peripheral tissue into the central nervous system during administration.”

By helping you, do you mean putting you into remission?

Or by cleaning out toxins from your body, it reduced your symptoms and pain?

Blessings

Jo

Jo
    Participant

[user=63]Diane/WI[/user] wrote:

Hi Jo,

I have the neuropathy too and AP in the beginning of treatment seemed to help some, but now it does not.  In the beginning, I had weekly I.V.'s which helped everything and now I 'm not on the I.V's anymore due to travel and cost.

I tried the alpha lipoic acid and did not notice a difference, though I did not go on it long-term.  Perhaps I will try it again.

Diane

Wisconsin

Which IV's were you on?

Is there a pill form that could be used instead?

Blessings

Jo

Starr
    Participant

Jo,

A friend of mine was suffering from progressing peripheral neuropathy for several years, did a consult with Dr. T in Boston who said she didn't have a rheumatoid disease and didn't think he could help.   I wanted her to try minocycline because of it's anti-inflammatory effects, so 2 years ago she did start it at 200mg every day.  It has helped with the pain and her neurologist feels it has slowed down the progression of her disease.  She had genetic testing and was confirmed to have 2 types of Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome.  Her neurologist said there's been a lot of research lately that defines the neuroprotective effects of minocycline and his recommendation was for her to continue with it.  She is also on some heavy-hitting pain meds, but can still walk.

There are many kinds of peripheral neuropathy, most are called idiopathic and are probably the result of viruses.  Genetic testing can be helpful to define what you're dealing with.

Best wishes,
    Starr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Peripheral Neuropathy’ is closed to new replies.