Home Forums General Discussion penicilin and mino???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    carries
    Participant

Hi! As most of you know….I had lung surgery…..but I also had melonoma on my leg and had to have a mole and then some removed…..needless to say Iam cancer free again they cut it out….I know gross! I had to have some stitches put in and I am assuming they have become infected so the dr called me in some penicilin….can I take that with the mino??? I take the mino MWF and I take the penicilin daily for ten days 3times daily. Let me know your thoughts or experiences. Thanks!

PS I hope this does not make yeast issues……..

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Carries – see below

Because tetracyclines have been shown to depress plasma prothrombin activity, patients who are on anticoagulant therapy may require downward adjustment of their anticoagulant dosage.

Since bacteriostatic drugs may interfere with the bactericidal action of penicillin, it is advisable to avoid giving tetracycline-class drugs in conjunction with penicillin.

http://www.rxlist.com/minocin-capsules-drug.htm

You would be advised to discuss this with your Doctor as you will be taking a 10 day course of penicillin without a break, so there is no opportunity to take them on different days. However, taking a 10 day break from the mino shouldnt set you back. Generally a break of up to 4 weeks is considered okay per the historical, pulsed protocol. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

carries
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie! That information is very helpful! I havent heard back from the dermatologist yet….but he doesnt know my medical history and that makes me nervous. He is the one who removed my mole and it was our first meeting….so it just makes me a bit nervous. I am doing so well on AP I would hate for anything to disrupt it!

reesak
    Participant

Hi Carries – every time I read your posts I am amazed at your positive attitude – you have been through so much at such a young age and I am inspired every time you write.  I, for one, need a lesson in enjoying and cherishing every day and keeping a positive outlook for the future.  I am a 43-year-old mother of 3 kids under 10 and when I was diagnosed with RA in 7/09 it was very scary and devastating to think about how I was going to be a good wife and mother with this chronic disease, but now I try to take every day as a learning experience and remember that I am still here and alive and I am going to fight this with everything I have!

Thank you for your posts and I hope that you continue to do well on AP because you deserve it!!

ReesaK

carries
    Participant

Hi ReesaK,

Thank you for the post. That really means alot. I owe it to all of you at Road back. It is everyone on here that has helped me remain positive. I was in a depression at one point when all this was going on but it is  because of all of you that I can now remain so positive and keep my head high!! So let me say thank you to you too!!!!

We will all beat this disease….I truely believe that a positive outlook is a key ingredient to remission!!

Thank you once again!!! 😀

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Carries,

I'll second Lynnie's comments! Might not be a bad thing to take the penicillin for a bit, anyway, just in case of unaddressed strep titers. Would be a good experiment for you to see if you herx a bit, too. 😉 

This is just my experience and, as Lynnie said, it's important to cross-check with your doc, but I took very high dose amoxy for 8 months daily (for Lyme) and also took 150mg pulsed doxy MWF (spread apart during the day by 6 hours). My doc said it would be fine in low doses, but tetras usually interfere with the action of cillins, reducing their effectiveness, anyway. I was just loathe not to have some anti-collagenase help while on penicillin for so long, but a 10 day course shouldn't set you back much, as Lynnie already mentioned. I was off all tetras for a month last year and it didn't change the landscape much at all.

So sorry to hear about your melanoma, but great to hear you got it and are staying on top of all this stuff. I agree with Reesak…you really are a ray of sunshine! 😀

Peace, Maz

carries
    Participant

Thank you for your responses. My dermatologist would like me to discontinue the use of mino during my other antibiotic treatment….so I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that there is no relapse. Since I am completely off of the prednisone…I worry…but I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your input!

carries
    Participant

Just a little update……They switched peniciliin to cipro because it was a pseudomonas bacteria and that was the correct abx for it……you were right….I am herxing…..ughhhhh! Just achy in the knees and neck…the neck pain goes away after I get up….but the knee pain lingers all day…gotta be a herx because i never had knee pain really  …..1 more day of this cipro abx….cant wait to start taking my miracle drug again…the mino!! I have been two weeks without it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ penicilin and mino???’ is closed to new replies.