Home Forums General Discussion Pay It Forward

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

When I was first diagnosed with RA about 3 years ago, I did a search on the internet for an RA support group.  I felt pretty hopeless at this time.  I didn't know a whole lot about RA and was really scared.  Of course, all I knew of it was the horror stories that people seemed so eager to tell me about. 

I met a wonderful woman from this group who gave me hope.  She told me about AP.  Her name is Pip and I'm sure many of you are familiar with her.  She was my very first angel that came along to help me on my roadback.  She was there for me through the ups and downs and helped me understand how AP worked, answering all my many questions.  She recommended the book, “The New Arthritis Breakthrough” to me and led me to this site.  I will be forever grateful to her. 

I asked her at one point, why she took so much time from her own life to help others find hope through AP.  She said if she could make a difference in the life of just one other person it was all worth it to her.  All she asked of me is that if it worked for me that I “pay it forward”, and try to give another person in my situation hope.  Well, I had that chance to “pay it forward” and wanted to share it with you.

The person that I helped is a stranger and I still do not know his name.  My husband came home from work one day and was telling me about an older man in his 60's who had RA really bad and non of the conventional DMARDS or biologic medicines were working for him anymore.  He could no longer work because his hands and knees were so bad.  He had to use a vise grip to start his truck… he was suffering really bad.  My husband did not know this man either.  He came up in conversation at his work place.  He did not work there. 

After my husband told me about this man… I knew this was it.  I had to help him… this was my “pay it forward” chance.  I sat down with pen and paper and wrote a long letter to a stranger who needed hope in his life.  I told him about AP, about the book, and about Dr. S in Iowa.  I put it in an envelope and gave it to my husband, telling him to give it to the guy he worked with that was talking about the man and to make sure that the man got the letter.

Well, after that, time went by and I forgot all about the letter.  About 8 months later, my husband came home from work and said… “Remember that man? You helped him get better.”  I was totally confused.  I had forgotten all about him!  I asked him “What are you talking about?”  He said, “the man who had RA really bad”, “He is better now.  He is back to work.”  He went to see Dr. S and he is doing better than he has been in years.”  Wow!  I was thrilled.  I did not even know that this man had gone to see Dr. S.  But he did, and now he is on the road back!  I paid it forward and what a good feeling it was!  To know that I helped someone else find hope in their lives!

How many of us out there have “pay it forward” stories to share?  I would love to hear more! 

We ARE making a difference!! 

Lori

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Lori,

What a wonderful, wonderful story you wrote.

I also will be forever grateful to PIP, she directed me to this Roadback and The Arthritis Breakthrough book, when I was at my wits end last September, after a very painful stay in the hospital from being on the biologic Orencia.  Pip was a god send to me and she definately is a very special angel.

……………Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Trudi
    Participant

Lori–

It was a pleasure reading your post.  Thanks for sharing!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

bonnielou
    Keymaster

This is a really beautiful post Lori — as so many are on this board — people coming who are frightened and desparate — and they gain both hope and wellness from the volunteers and the information which is shared.

I tell everyone I can about AP, (as well as prolotherapy, which really helped heal my shoulders and my right hand) — but so few are open to alternative options. It's so rewarding that you were able to help this man.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Maz
    Keymaster

Lori, what an incredibly inspiring story and you just paid it forward many times over again by posting this sequence of synchronistic events here!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this, because countless others will be reading it and it will ripple out providing hope and encouragement to the many who come here to read who are confused, in great suffering and wondering where to go and what to do next.

If anyone feels encouraged to pay it forward and doesn't know how to start, there are ways you can help Road Back to keep AP alive for us all. RBF is grateful to all who offer their time and resources so the Foundation can keep paying it forward for us all! 😀 

Also, on the main Road Back website, you can print off brochures to keep handy (in your home, car, pocketbook, briefcase, etc) to have available to hand to others. Here is the link:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/aboutRBF.sub/subgroup_id/31.html

Peace, Maz

JBJBJB
    Participant

Lori,

It touched my heart. What a wonderful story you have told us. I remembered Maz was the person who opened her arms to me when I first found this site. Kim offered to call me. That was the conversation I could never forget. My husband and I both were on the phone with Kim. From that point on, we decided to go to Iowa to seek treatment.

Talking about passing those candle lights, shining the lights on others. One lady from our church has RA. She and I both saw the same rheumy in IU medical center. We both were told Cytoxan or Cellcept were the ONLY way which could relieve some pain. I mentioned to her about my Iowa treatment with Dr. S.

Several months later, (since I could not go to church any more), my husband told me she went to Iowa to see Dr. S and within just two months she is totally pain free. I told her about this message board. I hope she will come and ask questions.

Yes, we are passing down your kindness to others. Maz, Kim, Cheryl, Richie, Lynnie and John, you guys have planted seeds and they are spreading!!!

Thanks,

JB

Kim
    Participant

Beautiful story, Lori.  It is a reminder for people to slow down and take stock of what's really important in life.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Lori, 

what a great story. I also have met many great people on this board that have encouraged me in my journey with RA, Dermatomyositis, problems with my skin etc, etc.

I too have played it forward for someone that was so ill that their rheumatologist had given up on them.  She is now on their way to better health. This person was a year ago in a wheelchair and is now walking just with a cane.

I think it is good we can give this small service to people that are ill with autoimmun illnesses.

I have learned so much from Maz, Lynnie and others and appriciate what they are doing.

Thank you so very much.

Eva

Eva Holloway

Pip
    Participant

OMG – Lori!

This is sooooo wonderful!  I am soooo glad to see how well you are doing and to hear that you've helped this man.  That's what we're here for; to help others! 

Thank you for posting this.

Hugs

Pip

PS – I accidentally emailed you something – email back and lets 'talk'!

PSS – Hey Annie – miss you too!  PM me your email addy if you want cuz I don't think I have it.  Hugs and more hugs!  Altho I don't think I'm an angel as you've witnessed the recent knock-down-drag-outs…LOL

PSSS – John McDonald, Friend, oh, and a host of more,  were the people that helped me when I was terrified and and first diagnosed.  I've passed my 3 years since diagnosis date and I'm coming up on my 3rd year of being on AP and still so much to learn!  THANK YOU GUYS FOR BEING THERE!

PSSSS – an update for the newer RB members – since AP has kicked in (was an early responder) I've been able to boogie board, to ice skate, and now I'm shagging fly balls with my daughter in softball.  Surfing is still on my 'to do' list – but I swear I'm not getting in that ocean at this weight – got to finally address THAT issue!  This last month my baby sold something like a gazillion boxes of Girl Scout Cookies that I had to deliver – going back, and back again, and up and down streets and up and down stairs.  Have I mentioned I LOVE AP?  Because I couldn't have done all the Mom things we need to do without it.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=23]Pip[/user] wrote:

PSS – Hey Annie – miss you too!  PM me your email addy if you want cuz I don't think I have it.  Hugs and more hugs!  Altho I don't think I'm an angel as you've witnessed the recent knock-down-drag-outs…LOL

Hey Pip, I haven't been on the other board for a while, but you were certainly my angel, I will pm my email address to you, glad to hear from you.

……………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Pay It Forward’ is closed to new replies.