Home Forums General Discussion Pathogen infections, high cholesterol and statins

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BG
    Participant

I have premature atherosclerosis and a weird high cholesterol profile. The following article may explain why. It also explains why many people shouldn’t take statins to treat their high cholesterol. I wonder how many statin-prescribing physicians know about this?

http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1000329

Cholesterol-Dependent Anaplasma phagocytophilum Exploits the Low-Density Lipoprotein Uptake Pathway

cavalier
    Participant

Found this EXTREMELY helpful – my sudden climb in Cholestrol I feel has a explanation. i have resisted the idea of statins as to me they never get at the root of the problem at best a cover up which also causes other potential issues.

THANKS! Jill SD

richie
    Participant

Hi–This study has nothing to do with treating high cholesterol rather its use in treating a tick borne bacteria is being questioned —
    IF one has familial high cholesterol nothing works as well as a stain in reducing total cholesterol –Diet wont work and mega doses of niacin is harmful to blood vessels –I have used a statin for many many years for the purpose it was intended and have achieved excellent results –its seems to me if you have high cholesterol along with atherosclerosis you had best find something to regulate matters –The causes of elevated cholesterol levels is primarily guess work —heredity –diet are looked upon as primary culprits –one cant dismiss all the studies over years linking high cholesterol with heart attacks –just look up the Framingham study —
    richie

A Friend
    Participant

@BG wrote:

I have premature atherosclerosis and a weird high cholesterol profile. The following article may explain why. It also explains why many people shouldn’t take statins to treat their high cholesterol. I wonder how many statin-prescribing physicians know about this?

http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1000329

Cholesterol-Dependent Anaplasma phagocytophilum Exploits the Low-Density Lipoprotein Uptake Pathway

cavalier
    Participant

Statins in studies have not shown any added longevity nor any real reduction in heart attacks some studies presented a number that was actually skewed.
    Yes statin drugs can reduce a number, but there are many side affects to statins including increased risk of cancer and other side affects such
    as muscular pain.
    This article cites one reason as to why a increase in Cholestrol can be seen to try to discover primary causes rather than treating what could be a 2ndary symptom.
    Just like in SD & other diseases, we should try to find the root causes & not just treat 2ndary symptos without getting to the root of the problem. Just my opinion we each need to find our path.
    Jill SD

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Barb,
    @BG wrote:

I have premature atherosclerosis and a weird high cholesterol profile.

Is that why you are taking aspirin?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

BG
    Participant

Hi Phil,

I take aspirin for a host of reasons: for pain and inflammation because acetominophen and NSAIDS have been ruled out due to side effects, for stroke prevention, and for cancer prevention (I’m at very high risk for stroke, DVT, heart attack and cancer due to family history as well current medical status). Also, it’s one of only four drugs actually approved to treat lupus (all other drugs are experimental or off-label)

I had to cut back the aspirin to only 650 mgs one time per day Nov 2010 because of leaking capillaries and some internal bleeding. As soon as I got the recent labs back, I cut down the aspirin to 325 mgs one time per day.

I have had/may still have anaplasmosis (aka HGE) per lab tests done August 2011. The IgM and IgG titers were positive but low. That’s why the article above was particularly relevant to me.

Barb

richie
    Participant

Hi Getting to the root cause sounds good on paper but in reality many many illnesses have root causes that are far from solvable —for example SD –root cause unknown –many cancers -root cause unknown –and on and on —a clue here a clue there but not many answers —Dr T. who had a tremendous hand in treating SD with minocin not only wasnt certain of “root causes” but wasnt quite sure how exactly minocin worked to treat SD –he only was certain that it was effective in treating -how and why was largely uncertain !!
    richie

richie
    Participant

If one compares the incident of heart attacks to folks with high cholesterol as compared to folks with low cholesterol -the difference is glaring –Statins have played a major role in controlling cholesterol and lowering it —-Side effects are there in small numbers –however the discussion is moot and any drug can either be defended or criticized depending on what position one wants to take –If I wanted to give a negative slant to minocin I easily could in spite of all the good it has done for so many people –same could be said for statins except multiply it by 50 fold or more !!
    richie

cavalier
    Participant

Ritchie – some links for you or anyone to look over – the answer is if you have had a heart attack then most doc’s feel it is warranted, otherwise no even if you have high Cholestrol take a look as to why.
    http://www.gaia-health.com/articles451/000464-no-benefit-statins.shtml

http://www.gaia-health.com/articles251/000264-major-jama-study-shows-statins-do-not-prevent-heart-disease.shtml

http://www.docroberts.com/bc-15-heart-disease-and-stroke.aspx – has this info-
    Thursday 9/24/2009 Pneumonia and Statins
    A new study demonstrates that older people are more likely to get pneumonia if they use statin drugs. Statin drugs are the current rage for treating people with “high cholesterol”. If you have not yet read my Cholesterol Article, please do–this article delineates why cholesterol is not a problem, it is a symptom. Unfortunatley, the entire statin industry is built around a fallacy–that cholesterol is the cause of heart disease.
    This new study shows that older people have their immune systems weakened by statins–they are more likely to get pneumonia. Ironically, in a time when people are so concerned about flu, we are giving the very population that is most susceptible to severe compromise (older adults) drugs that make them more susceptible to illness!

http://www.docroberts.com/ar-32-.aspx http://www.positivehealth.com/article/heart/statin-statistics-lies-and-deception

(In the above scenario in the elderly statins lower the immune system, in some cases for some diseases this could be beneficial at times, but one still needs to consider risks.)

This article has 2 Cardios who address both sides of the coin – http://cardiobrief.org/2012/01/23/rita-redberg-and-roger-blumenthal-clash-over-statins-for-primary-prevention-in-the-wall-street-journal/

This article probably sums up all of it the best – http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2000324,00.html

Lowering the levels of inflammation in my entire system is key.
    Jill SD

richie
    Participant

Hi–Do you really think Gaia Health is totally unbiased —me -I will keep taking my statins and keep my cholesterol at low levels —hope folks with readings over 250 or so dont avoid statins !!!If a person has familial cholesterol problems -statins are the only answer to lower those levels —
    richie

BG
    Participant

Calcified arteries, arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis — what is the difference? All three names have been used in my radiology reports at one time or another but I think they were all talking about the same condition for the most part, so are they more or less the same or is there a difference? I’ve read the medical definitions but I’m still confused.

My total cholesterol is 221 ….

Chronic systemic inflammation causes all of the above.

Barb

Maz
    Keymaster

@cavalier wrote:

http://www.docroberts.com/bc-15-heart-disease-and-stroke.aspx – has this info-
    Thursday 9/24/2009 Pneumonia and Statins
    A new study demonstrates that older people are more likely to get pneumonia if they use statin drugs.

Thanks, Jill, for all your research, which is pertinent to anyone with an inflammatory disease that may elevate risk for cardiovascular disease, too. I’ve done a wee bit of research on this topic, as well, and pretty convinced that high cholesterol is the result of infections that line the arteries, causing the inflammatory process, and that cholesterol swings into action (a veritable Mc’D’s drive-thru) to bandage up weakened arteries….meaning that cholesterol isn’t the problem…infections driving the initiating inflammatory process are the problems. It’s little wonder that the elderly are susceptible to getting pneumonia as a result. Cholesterol likely has a two-fold protective factor…(a) the body is trying wall off the infections much as Dr. Brown described in the book and (b) the purpose of cholesterol is to bandage weakened blood vessels. The trouble is, these pathogens are likely voracious cholesterol consumers (cholesterol is major component needed by our own cells for cell wall formation, but also for bug cell walls and for cell-wall deficient bugs, their outer lipid layer), so these bugs are also likely driving the whole process in a kind of symbiotic dance with our own body’s defense mechanisms.

There is plenty of research online out of prestigious institutions linking infections, such as chlamydia pneumoniae, helicobacter pylori (also linked to SD), and viruses, such as cytomyegolovirus to artherosclerosis. In fact, biopsies done on sclerotic lesions are teeming with bacteria and other bugs. According to my old LLMD, even Lyme has been found in these plaques. The following sources are pretty reputable research institutions, but there is masses of research out there now pointing to an infectious etiology of cardiovascular disease:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9244203

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/7/5/01-0503_article.htm

In the elderly using statins who become susceptible to pneumonias, it’s no wonder…take away the cholesterol wall and this leaves a chronic underlying infection that becomes opportunistic in an immune-compromised person. For the elderly, it’s almost a no-win situation…reduce cholesterol with a statin drug and there is an elevated risk a life-threatening pneumonia. Not lowering cholesterol and the risk for artherosclerotic plaques and resulting heart disease goes up.

My best lay guess is that the best way to get around this dilemma is to increase anti-oxidative therapies, such as high dose Vit C, glutatione, milk thistle and alpha lipoic acid (but not limited to these), which kills several birds with one stone…reducing oxidative damage due to inflammation, killing bugs, and thus has a knock on effect of the body needing to produce less cholesterol to bandage up damage to arterial walls. These therapies are pretty effective and are also fairly benign. One other important factor is to ensure adrenal function is strong…it’s well known that drugs that suppress adrenal function, such as prednisone, can cause hyperlipidemia. Stress also induces elevated cortisol levels, which is both immune-suppressive and promotes hyperlipidemia…hence, probably why heart attacks have been associated in the past with chronic stress. I always thought this was an old wives tale, but there is some science behind this…chronic stress produces excess cortisol which promotes hyperlipidemia. In combination with chronic infections, it’s probably quite a volatile mix.

Interesting topic, but my money is on treating hyperlipidemia by addressing adrenal imbalances and chronic infections while also employing anti-oxidative therapies.

cavalier
    Participant

For me addressing inflammation & the reasons behind the inflammation are key – I personally dont feel statins do one thing for the inflammatory processes – which is why there is a on-going debate between doc’s in the field. Cholestrol is more the after affect but I am not telling what others should do. I like you Maz have tried to look at this from a rounded aspect if that is possible. I believe addressing the infectious aspect and the whole nine yards is important for me.

best – Jill SD

richie
    Participant

Scleroderma is not considered an inflammatory disease rather a collagen vascular disease —-All rheumatic diseases are not inflammatory –That is why sed rates are usually not elevated in SD —-I have never had an elevated sed rate —
    richie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.