Home Forums General Discussion panicking in Canada

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    lov4life
    Participant

I am not new to this bulletin though it has been many months since I have visited this site. I went on antibiotic treatment (minocylcline) approx 5 years ago and got my whole life back. I guess I felt so good that I started to accept it as my new life.
    Unfortunately, I began experiencing severe yeast infections that were difficult to treat…After several round of diflucan, my GP reminded me that it would eventually cause liver damage it I continuted to take it so frequently. I stopped taking Minocycline approx 6 months ago, as probiotics, acidafulous and yogurt did nothing to alieve my symptoms of yeast overgrowth. Needless to say, my symptoms returned with a vengence that I had forgotten. I had begun to take ‘feeling well’ for granted….did I think I was in permanent remission?? maybe…nonetheless, here I am. TO add to my problems, I recently became aware that the name brand Minocycline is no longer available in Canada,,?????? Now I am in a full blown panic? What are the Canadian patients now doing?? any input would be so appreciated…

Jacqs

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi there,
    I live in Canada too (Ottawa). I was able to get a bulk prescription from my doctor and started calling around. There is still
    some Minocycline around, but you have to phone around. I was able to find 300 50mg with an expiry date Oct/12. (I got 200 at one pharmacy and 100 from another)
    Good luck, I hope you live in an area with several pharmacies as I do. Don’t panic, just get dialing!

Diana

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Lov;
    I live near Ottawa also.Whatever you do,DO NOT USE APO MYNOCYCLINE.I have SD and was sliding right back after a decade of remission.I find Teva mynocycline works just fine
    Lynne

Denyse
    Participant

What does the Teva brand Minocycline look like? and what does it say on the capsule? I also live in Canada and have been in remission for about a year, but now that I can no longer get the brand name I have been backsliding and have been told the brand that I am getting is Teva but it is an orange capsule 50MG and says NOVO 50 on it.

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Denyse,

That is Teva-Minocycline that you have. See: Teva-Minocycline

What can be confusing is that Teva-Minocycline in Canada is not the same thing as the Teva minocycline that is sold in the U.S. The minocycline that you have was previously called Novo-Minocycline. The name change occurred some time after Teva bought Novopharm in 2000.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Denyse
    Participant

So am I taking the Teva that everyone is referring too? or not? I was reading one post on here that says to up the dose to get the same benefit. And I know I am backsliding so I upped my dose last night and feel a lot better today. Just not sure how much more I should be taking. I was on 150mg 6 days a week and 200mg 1 day a week, on the Stieffel and was in total remission. Really sucks having too start experimenting with doses again ๐Ÿ™

Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ

Denyse
    Participant

I have some name Brand tablets from Mexico sitting here that I may give a whirl ๐Ÿ™‚

medical MJ

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Denyse,
    @Denyse wrote:

So am I taking the Teva that everyone is referring too? or not?

If they are getting it from Canada, yes. Otherwise, no.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Denyse
    Participant

Thank You Phil, Yes they are from Canada ๐Ÿ™‚ Now to figure out a dose that works. I now am going to be more on the ball and keep up with the RBF so I know what is going on.
    Wished I knew wether I could get the Lederle brand or whatever name brand out of the US and have my health insurance cover it for me. They told me if I could provide a DIN they would cover it. Is it even possible for me to get it from US with a script from my doctor here? Does anyone know?

medical MJ

kater
    Participant

Denyse
    as I understand it, Canadian law prohibits importing of drugs so we can only get drugs that are made in Canada. That would be great it they would only make it! Northwest Pharmacy in Langley told me they can get Aknemin from the UK, and when I questioned this they assured me they could. I still have a few months stock of Minocin left so I haven’t tried this yet, but it is what I will do when I need more. The other online pharmacies say they will only ship to an American address. I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago and tried to track down Minocin. They do have the tablets by Wyeth (as you have) but you do need a prescription from a doctor. Another option is to get the compounding pharmacy to make up caps with pure minocycline powder, or try the generics. It isn’t a very good picture really.
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

gordbentley
    Participant

I was off Mino since last summer and other than a few hiccups crashed hard over the last 3 days. none the less ran to the pharmacy to get my mino. i got the teva 50 ml caps, so I am pleased. this is what I had success with before and after one heck of a herx I’m now on the mend. fought two grass fires today too but now my left knee has a kink in it lol. Happy healing folks!

matv
    Participant

Hey brother from another mother ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad you’re on the mend and doing well!

gordbentley
    Participant

mending? Hardly lol, still hitting herx land dude. Arthrtitis is back. its in my eyes, shoulders, elbows, hips and knees. horrid morning! spirits? held high! way its gotta be. we will all get there. unfortunately I am coming to the conclusion that at best Ill stay on maintenance doses for life once this bugger calms down. hope all is well on your side brothah!

gordbentley
    Participant

I am coming too see that I should especially be dosing mino during season changes. that always sets it off.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Denyse
    @Denyse wrote:

Wished I knew wether I could get the Lederle brand or whatever name brand out of the US and have my health insurance cover it for me. They told me if I could provide a DIN they would cover it. Is it even possible for me to get it from US with a script from my doctor here? Does anyone know?

I am fairly sure that drugs in the U.S. don’t have DIN numbers; they use NDC numbers instead.

Here are some DINs to try:

Those are all for Canadian generics. However, I don’t know if any of those are still available. If you find out that any of those are still available, please let us know.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.