Home Forums General Discussion PANDAS – Infectious Origin of OCD??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TischSEB
    Participant

Hi,
    I ran across this video from the TODAY show talking about a rare manifestation of a strep bacterial infection. Interesting that even tho it is called an “Autoimmune” disease by doctors, the treatment is readily recognized as antibiotics.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25094786#33000818
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANDAS

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

Great Catch!!!!!!

Kim
    Participant

Interesting, but makes you wonder if Lyme wasn't part of his infection too.  Augmentin is a drug also used in Lyme treatment……….hmmmmmmmmm.

Take care…..kim

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

He gets strep easily again…could that be the infection reasserting itself?

Kim
    Participant

I don't know about him, but for many years I would get strep every January without fail.  Funny (well not really funny) but once I got SD I had no more strep. 😯  Good luck trying to make sense of any of this.  It WILL drive you crazy.

Take care…..kim

TischSEB
    Participant

Hi Kim,

I re-watched the video after reading your post. Notice all the heavily wooded areas on the footage and photos and I believe the boy lived in NJ (the doctor is located there) — two risk factors for Lyme!

Tisch

Maz
    Keymaster

Tisch, thanks for sharing – I found this very interesting! I tend to think along the same lines as Kim….hard not to when the devastation wrought by Lyme is evident here every day. However, Brown and even Lyme docs now know there are so many other organisms in the mix…like those L Forms of all kinds of bacteria that hang around forever and do all kinds of mucky stuff on their own, too. Most people's immune systems handle their accumulated pathogen loads quite well (even a good percentage of those with Lyme), but some triggering infection comes along, a gene switch is flipped and whatever is at the front lines of those slimey bio-films grabs the opportunity to play a bit of havoc. Interesting, too, that both Brown and Lyme docs believe that adding a penicillin into the mix is important when cell-walled forms are present, as they just impede progress otherwise.

As time goes by, I wouldn't be half surprised if so many more diseases are linked to pathogens – viral, bacterial, fungal. You may not have seen this posted by Lynne G. in May, but this the off-label use of an anti-viral drug has been shown to help a certain form of leukemia, called acute myeloid leukemia and it is believed this form of treatment could help 30% of cancer types. This is absolutely astonishing, too:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090519/ribavirin_090519/20090519?hub=Health

Thanks again for the interesting find!

Peace, Maz

DianeTexas
    Participant

Maz,

You never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge and the ability to help us understand it!  I have had on my to-do list to complete my “story” for the testimonials.  Your dedication to the foundation is inspiring.

Regards,

Diane

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1324]DianeTexas[/user] wrote:

You never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge and the ability to help us understand it!  I have had on my to-do list to complete my “story” for the testimonials.  Your dedication to the foundation is inspiring.

Diane, thanks so much for your very kind words. The bizarre twist of fate in all this is that much of the info I've gathered is as a result of getting RA…it just wouldn't have been on my radar otherwise. :doh:

I'm really looking forward to reading your testimonial! Remember that old army recuitment poster, “We Need You?” We really do need testimonials to keep flooding in…they change lives, whether they are considered anecdotal or not…and sometimes even lifesaving! I remember reading them in the beginning and finding one or two that seemed to match my case quite closely and I thought…”If they can do it, I can, too!”

Thanks, Diane, your story will be gratefully received and the gift is that you'll be paying it forward many times over!!!

Peace, Maz 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ PANDAS – Infectious Origin of OCD??’ is closed to new replies.