Home Forums General Discussion Pain/Brain

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

I found an interesting article at brainblogger.com about the efffect of chronic pain on our brains.  So many of us with FMS describe a symptom we call fibrofog, I'm wondering if this article explains the reason. It's titled, “The Chattering Brain: How Chronic Pain Throws Our Cortex Out of Sync”

According to the article, the brains of people w/out pain only use parts of their brains at a time, giving other areas of the brain time to rest. The brains of those with chronic pain don't function in that way, and parts of their brains don't get a chance to rest, causing confusion and a decreased ability to concentrate, also depression and fatigue.

Kinda reminds me of that old anti-drug commercial, This is your brain on drugs…; but instead, it's, This is your brain with chronic pain…    :headbang:.

I have a feeling this little headbanger guy is going to get a lot of use around here!

linda

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

Kinda reminds me of that old anti-drug commercial, This is your brain on drugs…; but instead, it's, This is your brain with chronic pain… :headbang:.

Very interesting, Linda, thanks. Your analogy is pretty accurate, too, considering that cytokines (the body's own chemicals) create the pain and pretty much fit the same bill. Maybe it should read, “This is your brain on cytokines…”? :sick:

Peace, Maz

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Interesting topic!  Makes me wonder if prolonged chemical imbalance in the brain from chronic pain and illness ..well does it cause Alzheimers too?  In the last few years I have been wondering about that with me.  My first signs of memory loss and fatigue, I was 28.  I'm now 53 and its becoming more and more of a worry for me.  I'm experiencing more of an accelerated decline in my abilities to think and do simple tasks, like paper work and paying bills and finding things and most things that didn't cause me to have to concentrate now do.

I like your UFO photo.  That happens to be an interest of mine as of late.    So much on the internet about UFO's, in Mexico, Russia etc…  Another good topic!

Diane

suera
    Participant

I agree totally!! Things I used to understand seem to go right over my head now! I can't remember anything unless I write it down and then I can't find the slip of paper.

It is to bad when I need my brain to be functioning well to keep up with all this scientific info that it is functioning poorly.

I think I will print this and show to hubby who doesn't understand the compounding problems of having ra or any chronic illness.

Sue

linda
    Participant

The avatar is more because I'm an X-Files geek than anything else (love that David Duchovny), but you're right, there are some compelling stories out there.

As for our brains, didn't Dr. Brown state that when the abx started working that our ability to concentrate and the depression would begin to go away? Is it because we have bacteria in our brains or is it from the chronic pain going away, or both?

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

As for our brains, didn't Dr. Brown state that when the abx started working that our ability to concentrate and the depression would begin to go away? Is it because we have bacteria in our brains or is it from the chronic pain going away, or both?

Hi Linda,

I think it has to do with levels of circulating inflammatory cytokines. As these decrease, so the brain fog/depression lifts.

This is an interesting Lupus site explaining the action of cytokines….noticed they're advertizing “The New Arthritis Breakthrough” at the end, too!

http://www.squidoo.com/lupus_brain_fog

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

Now that's an answer I can wrap my brain around, finally. It makes sense, and it only took Maz 2 posts for me to get it! :blush:

I wish the Vit D was explained as easily.

Thanks Maz,

linda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Pain/Brain’ is closed to new replies.