Home Forums General Discussion Out of date tetracycline…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fastspinW
    Participant

Folks,

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but although I have been taking Minocin and Doxycycline for more than 5 years I had never been warned about out of date pills. I just read this evening that out of date tetracycline and derivitives are highly toxic to the kidneys and therefore should NEVER be consumed.

Nice of them to mention of it to me years ago…thank God I've never done it! All I need is burned out kidneys to make my life complete.

Buy a lawnmower and it comes with a manual full of warnings and maintence tips. Spend thousands at the doctor's and you are pretty much on your own a geat deal of the time.

Profit based medicine seems to me to be somewhat of an oxymoron…

All best,
    Winston

Trudi
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up.  I do have some minocycline from last year that I thought I would take when I resume the antibiotic treatment.  Guess they're going in the garbage.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

casey
    Participant

Would you believe that my first prescipt of doxy was 2 yrs outdated!!! It was a good thing i'd found this in research prior to taking the pills. After that, i told the phamacy ( a different one of course) to write the expiry date on every single bottle of meds we get for my own piece of mind.

You are definitely right about the lawnmowers!

fastspinW
    Participant

Trudi & Casey,

Does not surprise me one bit. Not that I think that pharmacists are incompetent, or uncaring, it's just that they are often so overworked by companies striving to make more money that they quite literally can't do their job correctly. How anyone works in that field is simply beyond my imagination. I once asked the fellow I use how he did it and he rolled his eyes and said, “Every night when I go home I have a beer!”

All of us therefore need to be very careful to check out our prescriptions when we pick them up to ensure they have been filled correctly, and that the pills are not out of date.

All best,
    Winston

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Out of date tetracycline…’ is closed to new replies.