Home Forums General Discussion Opinions needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gnadec
    Participant

Hi all,

I was set to see Dr. W in Denton, TX even though he doesn't take insurance. I got his new patient packet and didn't find it welcoming at all. He requires 10 days notice if I need to cancel my first appt or he'll charge the full $400 office fee. He wants a copy of my medical records and says once I give them to him, he legally can't give them back to me, and to make my own copies if I want a set. There was something else that bothered me, but I can't recall right now.

On the other hand, his receptionist was kind and patient the 2 times I spoke to her. She said he uses Lap Corps down the street from his office and runs tests for all kinds of co-infections and said “if it's there, he'll find it”. She said he uses Abx, supplements and a yeast free diet.

I do want to look into all of this, but am feeling paralyzed with indecision. :angry: 

It doesn't help that my insurance is changing from a PPO to an HMO on July 1. So I don't think I'll even be able to file anything with them to be applied to my deductible.

Do a lot of you pay out of pocket for your LLMDs?

I will appreciate any thoughts you have to offer!

Thanks again,

Gina

Steve201
    Participant

Gina

if I may be so bold…but in my mind, if a doc puts all kinds of conditions or requirements on a patient…his ego is too big…he's more interested in doing what he wants…..I'd run..not walk away from him…..my doc's have always done whatever it takes to help out…we acted as a team to diagnose my symptoms and treatments…if I had concerns about something..I want to be able to ask him a question without fear of him blowing a gasket or acting like he's god or something……

this guy puts conditions on you..you have enough going on right now and you don't need more stress to stroke his ego….just my opinion..but it's better to have a team of doc's willing to help you than stroke thier egos…..and my insurance covers my doc's with no problems….

Steve

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Go with what your gut tells you Gina. And, I'm not sure about the legal situation there but here, you are legally entitled to obtain your medical records from a doc. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

mikana
    Participant

Please see private message I have sent you. Hope it helps.

Lana

Kim
    Participant

Gina,

Do you have the LLMD list for Texas?  You have choices, even if you have to travel to a different city.  Sadly, yes, most of us do pay out-of-pocket for Lyme tx and it is not cheap.  My insurance company reimburses me at the out-of-network rate.

What I've learned from my own experience is that Lyme treatment can be very individual and at times have to be tailored to each patient depending on how they are responding.  This, of course, requires a doctor to be flexible and welcome patient input.  That 10-day cancellation policy seems a little stiff and would be a deal-breaker for me unless you've heard that he is the best doctor out there, in which case I'd put up with some of that nonsense, but not a lot.;)   It's my understanding that “legally” a patient has a right to their records.

Take care…..kim

mschmidt
    Participant

Gina,

I have to agree with going with your gut instinct.  I wish I could say that the process was easy for me with doctors but, it hasn't been.  I've had to figure out a lot of stuff out on my own, and now surround myself with a team of people who will listen to my needs.  I agree with Kim–the 10 day cancellation policy seems a little steep but, if he's the best one, it would be worth it.  The great thing is, you always have options.  My doctors aren't conveniently located to me but, in the end, it has worked out well because I feel like I have my life back. 

As far as the medical records go, I've always gotten mine.  Some doctors make me pay for them but, I've always gotten copies when requested.

Maria

Parisa
    Participant

Gina,

My husband's LLMD charges the office fee if you cancel within a certain timeframe.  I think it is to discourage patients from scheduling appointments and then flaking out.  I wouldn't want Lab Corp used for any of the Lyme or co-infection tests.  We have an HMO with a good primary who works with us.  We do have to pay for the LLMD's fees out of pocket but the rest of the labs and prescriptions we bring back to the primary to get authorized through the system. 

gnadec
    Participant

Kim,

I checked my saved emails and it looks like I haven't asked for a list of TX LLMDs. Could you or another volunteer please send me one?

I had an appt with a Dr in Lubbock who was recommended by the Texas Lyme Disease Assoc on Monday. This is my report that I posted on another thread, for those who care to know…

Wanted to let you know I saw the Dr in Lubbock yesterday. No offense to anyone, but it was more holistic than I expected it would be.

He wants me to change my diet (expected), take a quality multi-vitamin and gave me a list to choose from; Iodine, work up to 50mg a day for 4 months, then down to 12.5 mg/day; fish oil (pref Krill) gave me a list; Vit D3 10,000 iu/day for the 1st month then drop to 5,000iu  per day; DHEA 25mg daily; prenenolone 50mg daily; 1 Tbs of meso gold and meso silver daily.

And he wants me to have my root-canal tooth pulled!! Said 98% of them are infected and they will cause any multitude of problems. And OF COURSE, the 2 dentists he recommends are in Marble Falls which I am not happy about and don't even know how far away it is yet. 

The worst part is that I got a bit overwhelmed and decided to wait on the lyme test. I thought maybe I'd try all of this for a month or 2 and see how I feel. Yesterday I felt fine with the decision, but of course today I'm irritated, 'cuz that's the whole reason I went up there was the lyme test! But I do have the Igenex kit at home, so I might talk to my GP about testing that way and if she even has any knowledge or interest in lyme. I asked the guy yesterday if he will work with someone here in town and he said no, 'cuz no one here would know what to do with it. He said the Texas Lyme Disease Assoc only recommends 2 docs in Texas and he is one of them. But at least he was fine with me not getting the $500 test… he said he has some lyme patients that say there was improvement from different things he recommends. 

So, yeah, I'm irritated with myself for skipping it, but it's not like I can't get it done later. Or even Igenex with the GP.

Anyway, just thought I'd fill you in, since you've all been so helpful and supportive.

~~I forgot to say that he was pleased that I'm on LDN, and Minocycline. Asked me to increase the Mino to 100mg per day instead of MWF.~~

Thank you for the support as always,

Gina

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Opinions needed’ is closed to new replies.