Home Forums General Discussion OMG is this Herxing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

I've been feeling pretty good since I started AP up until 4 days ago.  I started getting a little achey and then yesterday OMG …..  I felt like I had the flu.  I ached all over, got the chills, felt tired and terrible.  Went to bed, felt like a mack truck hit me this morning but not quite as bad as last night.  I just don't know what to expect with the herxing.  Could this have been? or is? 

Andrea

Eggs
    Participant

it most deft. sounds like a herx. i remember when i first started i felt like i had the flu and all i wanted to do was sleep bc i was so achy but i also remember saying yay because it meant the ap was working and attacking the bad stuff. so yay that its working and get plenty of rest and remember this to shall pass.

all the best!!

Andrea
    Participant

How long do they last, usually?

“A”

Eggs
    Participant

it really does vary…mine was a few days but i think with everyone its different.

Dena
    Participant

I'm back.  I was doing fine for awhile after getting off Boniva.  But now my left ankle and some fingers and both shoulders are hurting like mad.  I'm up to 400 mg of celebrex, religiously taking 100 mg minocycline three days a week, and using ice, heat, and a compression wrap for my ankle.  Just got a great shoulder/neck cape-type thing from Solutions which I can heat in the microwave and it feels like the great wraps physical therapists use.  I don't know the difference between a herx and a flare, but when the swelling of synovial fluid occurs in the hands and ankle, it hurts so much until I can get the swelling down.  Any suggestions?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Dena,

Lovely to see your smiling face back, but really sorry to hear you're stuggling with your hands and that ankle again. :crying: Apart from all the usual anti-inflammatories (and you're already on celebrex), had you considered adding a second antibiotic or upping your mino dose to MWF (bid) to see if this changes anything? I've noticed a real difference since adding zith and I only take one every 10 days…of course, the herx that comes every 4th or 5th day afterwards isn't much fun, but I always feel more improved after it passes.

I also have a persistant, swollen ankle…a lump in front of both ankles, but a lot of swelling in the tendon behind my left ankle bone. The PT helped it a lot with ultrasound (about 50% better), but he said I have to make sure to keep exercising it to move the fluid from the tendon. Not much fun, but a necessary evil, he said. He suggested one exercise for this….standing backwards on a bottom step with heels over the edge, holding the rail and then raising the body up by the toes and then stretching the heel back down, past the level of the step, as far as it will comfortably go and repeating about 20 times, several times a day. Good old fashioned walking is also supposed to be good, which I know you already do along the beach as much as poss (ooohhh…lucky you!).

Maybe others will have some good suggestions for you…must hit the sack, but really just wanted to pop by and say hello and that I understand how you feel.

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dena – excuse me if you've posted before re your diet. You might try eliminating dairy, gluten and sulphites for a while to see if that has any beneficial effect. The  synovial fluid on my knees and the pain in them has completely resolved since I cut those out. I have noticed wine is a particulat antagonist in this regard (the sulphur dioxide preservative in it methinks). Hope you get some relief soon. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

John McDonald
    Participant

…religiously taking Minocin…3 days a week…I don't know the difference between a herx and a flare…

It can be real hard to tell the difference between herx and flare especially in the beginning. But for a clue you could skip a dose or cut one to 50mg. If you get a decided improvement then it was a herx. Then you can decide to manage for a tolerable herx. It is very good to see you on the bulletin board again.

Dena
    Participant

Thanks–I've been engrossed in blogging for Obama and trying to get contractors to finish work on my house.  To the extent that stress exacerbates arthritis, is it any wonder I'm having flares?

Goodwife
    Participant

Andrea,

My hubby felt the same way for about a week after starting mino.  I don't know if it is considered a herx, but I do know that it seems a somewhat common feeling when someone starts.  Hang in there!  You will come out of it!  Good luck,

Dena
    Participant

I've been on it for 9 years.  Have had flares/herxes throughout but lately, it is so much worse.  I keep plugging along.

Dena
    Participant

When I feel that way, I take a nap.  Then I usually feel better.  I sleep at least 10 hours a day, sometimes more.  They say the body uses sleep time to heal.  Plus, I had to train myself to know when I needed to sleep back 9 years ago because I had closed a hectic law practice because of all this pain and the effect of the meds on my mind.  Now I KNOW when I'm tired. 

Dena
    Participant

Lennie, No excuses necessary.  I don't consume much dairy, but I don't know what foods contain sulfites.  Gluten–that's bread and what else?  Gee, what do you eat?

I haven't had chocolate for two days now–that's a huge weakness of mine–I ran out of M&M peanut.  I guess that's bad, too, huh?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

[/size]

However, for a start, you might want to give up wheat bread and biscuits, dairy and wine. That's how I started and really noticed the difference. Now my new AP doc has given me a much stricter regime for the time being to heal my leaky gut. I was so convinced by that time that I had no problem going the extra mile. Best to you. Lynnie

Sensitivity to sulphites in food is dependent on how much a person is exposed to them across his or her whole diet and from other non-food sources. The ingredient lists of foods will alert people to the presence of added sulphites in foods?look for the additives numbered:

[align=left]220?225, and 228.   [/align]

[align=left]220 Sulphur dioxide [/align]

[align=left]221 Sodium sulphite[/align]

[align=left]222 Sodium bisulphite[/align]

[align=left]223 Sodium metabisulphite[/align]

[align=left]224 Potassium metabisulphite[/align]

[align=left]225 Potassium sulphite[/align]

[align=left]228 Potassium bisulphite[/align]

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Dena
    Participant

Lynnie, thanks so much!   Will try a little at a time.  (Just finished my M&M peanuts, I'm bad).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ OMG is this Herxing’ is closed to new replies.