Home Forums General Discussion off the wall(FROM MY DOCTOR)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jims
    Participant

Hello everyone, here is where I am as of right now. My wife says I am backing myself into a corner without a doctor, she may be right. I have been after low dose naltrexone for some time, as the AP has helped, but somedays I am hobbled and I know I could do better if things where right. My fingers and knees are swollen. I have been on AP for almost a year now.(Dr. S. ) Mino to start and added flagyl and azithromycin  in July. Dr. R. in Savannah who has agreed to put me on Low Dose Naltrexone did not understand the infectious component of my treatment of Psa and says the azithromycin may be creating yeast(which I HAVE) and is counter productive. i was taken aback and had no good explanation for his questions. He wants me to stop the Azithromycin. This week I am to start Low Dose Naltrexone along with Flagyl and Minocycline. He also wants me to stop the coconut oil as he says ity is high glycemic and loved by yeast. tHIS IS COUNTER TO MANY ARTICLES i HAVE READ. I am listening to some of what the doctors tell me, but not all. So, I will probably have to find a new GP and maybe a Rheumy possibly. A great thanks in advance to any and all input about LDN, AP,(and yeast) if anyone has had experience with all these issues!!! Thanks, jims ABOVE ALL I WILL STAY ON AP.:D

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1054]jims[/user] wrote:

I have been on AP for almost a year now.(Dr. S. ) Mino to start and added flagyl and azithromycin  in July. Dr. R. in Savannah who has agreed to put me on Low Dose Naltrexone did not understand the infectious component of my treatment of Psa and says the azithromycin may be creating yeast(which I HAVE) and is counter productive.

Hi Jims,

Just wondering, but did Dr S offer to incorporate any type of anti-fungal into your protocol? As far as I understand it (and it's only what I've heard from his chats on rheumatic support and what other patients have reported), Dr. S. will usually added a systemic anti-fungal.

Have you seen any improvements in the past year while on AP? The other thought I had is that it's only been 4 or 5 months since zith and flagyl were added. I herxed quite a bit on zith to start and I understand flagyl can create whoppers of herxing in some folk. I think Dr. S. uses the 5 days in every 30 with the flagyl protocol? This would mean that every installment would bring a new round of herxing, too. That's really the whole idea, but if you need to function for work or it's just intolerable, there may be a way to tweak this protocol to bring the herxing into a more tolerable playing field. Have you been able to ask Dr. S about this?

Final thought…in very reactive patients, Brown found that hypersensitivity could build over time. His trick was to back off everything for a washout week and to re-start the protocol at lower doses. Not suggesting you do this, of course, without discussing it first with Dr. S.

Have you been able to discern any food offenders? Starch, nightshades, etc? Hope you find some help with the LDN. Was Dr. S. unable to help with this?

Peace, Maz  

Lyn_x
    Participant

Coconut oil cannot have a high glycemic index.  Oils are not sugars (carbohydrates) therefore they have no glycemic index–since glycemic index is “ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels”.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

vinny
    Participant

Jims

I sent you a private message last week. Not sure if you got it. I continue to do well on 100mg Minocycline M,W,F and 4.5mg Low Dose Naltrexone at bedtime every night. The LDN has allowed me to reduce the 100mg Minocycline twice daily to the current pulse schedule and stop the Diclofenac. I take 1 Advil daily, not for pain but as part of Barneys Formula for psoriasis as reported on http://www.barneysformula.net Also there is a long thread on the formula on http://www.psoriasis.org  I take a probiotic with every meal and cycle the herbal antibiotics weekly. I cycle Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, Olive leaf extract and Goldenseal. I use Caprylic acid daily and Bromelain from Life Extention on an empty stomach daily. I am free of static pain and playing golf as good(or bad) as I ever did.

vinny 

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Trudi
    Participant

[user=14]Lyn_x[/user] wrote:

Coconut oil cannot have a high glycemic index.  Oils are not sugars (carbohydrates) therefore they have no glycemic index–since glycemic index is “ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels”.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

I've been on coconut oil since day one with my LLMD, which has now been 14 months–I am so glad to see your response!! 🙂

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jims
    Participant

Thanks Maz, Lyn_x, Vinny and Trudi for your timely responses to my post. I feel very fortunate to have your support. Yes, I have seen improvements. Sometimes I forget that. I have gotten greedy and want to be super good!! There was a time when I couldn't get out of a chair or stand very long. I was offered Nizoral along with the  other antibiotics, which I have refrained from taking as my GP told me it was a high risk med…Sometimes making the decisions for yourself is tough. Dr. S is a wonderful doctor but hard to get into. I need to call and try to get an appointment. He is a days drive as well and that is a factor. I have been trying the no gluten, no milk, no sugar deal for about two months not sure if it has helped the Psa but it has really helped my weight!!! I have gone from 312 to 232 in this year!!! Tomorrow I am giving myself a christmas present of a portable infrared sauna, and I am very excited !!! I knew the coconut oil was anti-fungal, thanks to Lyn_x and Trudi for confirming this!!! Vinny, you should have a PM, and I am looking closely at your protocol since we both have Psa. A heartfelt thank you to all. jims:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ off the wall(FROM MY DOCTOR)’ is closed to new replies.