Home Forums General Discussion Occasional Prednisone Use

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joanne NJ
    Participant

I have been doing AP for five months now with great success. The quality of my life has greatly improved. 🙂 Before AP, I had only used pred. one time over a year ago. About 4 weeks ago, I flared, and decided to do my own prednisone takedown, three days, started at 30 mg, and going down from there. I felt great right away, and then proceeded to have the best 4 weeks, walking up and down steps fine, opening jars fine, cleaning the house, I even felt like I could run. I felt like I finally turned the corner. Now this weekend I am flaring again, and feel lousy, so my question is has anyone used prednisone on an occasional use, or know if its ok to use such as only during a flare? Or is there anyone on this board who does use it occasionally. Not like every other week, but say with a 4 to 6 week time period. I know the drug can be harmful, and I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks, Joanne 

Trudi
    Participant

[user=2273]Joanne NJ[/user] wrote:

…so my question is has anyone used prednisone on an occasional use…

I used prednisone for one week in 2005 to get through my son's wedding.  I felt just great on it.  However, the rebound was horrible–I have Lyme so that may have played into it–I was not diagnosed until 2008 so didn't know I had it.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

[user=2273]Joanne NJ[/user] wrote:

I have been doing AP for five months now with great success. The quality of my life has greatly improved. 🙂 Before AP, I had only used pred. one time over a year ago. About 4 weeks ago, I flared, and decided to do my own prednisone takedown, three days, started at 30 mg, and going down from there. I felt great right away, and then proceeded to have the best 4 weeks, walking up and down steps fine, opening jars fine, cleaning the house, I even felt like I could run. I felt like I finally turned the corner. Now this weekend I am flaring again, and feel lousy, so my question is has anyone used prednisone on an occasional use, or know if its ok to use such as only during a flare? Or is there anyone on this board who does use it occasionally. Not like every other week, but say with a 4 to 6 week time period. I know the drug can be harmful, and I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks, Joanne 

Please try and find something else if you can.  Cannot your Dr. help you here.  The girls speak about MSM Have you tried that to help you through the rough patches?  The pred does a lot of damage to the bone it actually erodes it. It did to me. a Dr. put me on it also which was a surprise, say that if he looked after my immune system it would be o.k. but it wasn't. I have paid the price. I also think it made my condition a lot worse in the long run. I know you need something but find out honey what others are using. to keep the inflammation down and pain. 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Occasional Prednisone Use’ is closed to new replies.